By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

And so dies Top Gear.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
And so dies Top Gear.

With regards to a new series, I'm rather troubled by Mays response.  Though, I'd love to see him do more beer/wine side projects.  Those travel series he did with that Wine expert were great.

they had a great run... 13 years or so? fitting end too.. the only ending for those three which would have been better involves flaming cars and explosions...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

At least Chris Evans has ruled himself out of hosting the show and, personally, that's a relief.

So, with the end of the Top Gear that most of us have known and love, what's your favorite quote of Top Gear?

Mine is from Clarkson on the Vietnam Special

"I've always said to my children that if they buy a bike I will burn it, and if they replace it with another one I shall burn that too. Now, however, if they buy a bike I will completely understand ... and then I'll burn it."

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Mr_No said:

Pretty much this. I've read around some sites and noticed that the ones who wanted Clarkson out haven't considered any of those options. Sure, BBC reserves the right to do whatever they want, but they should've put some thought on this because it's bad business. The producer is the victim here, I won't deny that. But firing Jeremy made him a target.

I believe that the only thing needed was a fine and some disciplinary measures, but nothing as brash as firing him.

He wasn't fired. He was suspended and his contract has run out in the mean time. You really think BBC just said 'Yep, get rid of him.' Without question? Of course not but punching someone at work over something as pointless as a hotel meal cannot be ignored. BBC did the only thing they could and it was the correct/logical thing. Regardless of if you and many others think it was the right thing or not.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Mr_No said:

Pretty much this. I've read around some sites and noticed that the ones who wanted Clarkson out haven't considered any of those options. Sure, BBC reserves the right to do whatever they want, but they should've put some thought on this because it's bad business. The producer is the victim here, I won't deny that. But firing Jeremy made him a target.

I believe that the only thing needed was a fine and some disciplinary measures, but nothing as brash as firing him.

He wasn't fired. He was suspended and his contract has run out in the mean time. You really think BBC just said 'Yep, get rid of him.' Without question? Of course not but punching someone at work over something as pointless as a hotel meal cannot be ignored. BBC did the only thing they could and it was the correct/logical thing. Regardless of if you and many others think it was the right thing or not.

Not strictly correct - He was suspended pending an investigation, after which the decision not to offer to renew his contract was made. That was announced a few days ago. Clarkson's contract, along with May's and Hammond's, actually runs out at midnight tonight.

The others are free to renew their contracts, but Clarkson will not be able to. It's just a polite way of saying he's fired.

Hedra42 said:

Not strictly correct - He was suspended pending an investigation, after which the decision not to offer to renew his contract was made. That was announced a few days ago. Clarkson's contract, along with May's and Hammond's, actually runs out at midnight tonight.

The others are free to renew their contracts, but Clarkson will not be able to. It's just a polite way of saying he's fired.

I can understand that however:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32062579

But like I said, regardless of people's views of the show, Clarkson or whatever, the BBC did the correct thing.

Hmm, pie.

Hedra42 said:
DonFerrari said:
Mr_No said:
DonFerrari said:
Funny thing is...

Someone rob and murder someone there are outcries for forgiviness and how the person is really the victm.

There is a discussion and an altercation (that we don't know all the details or even the emotional state of Jeremy) and some folks want terminal measures... you could fine him, give him a time-off, send him to therapeut, social services, make amends and a lot of other things... firing him isn't the only option (altough the network have all the right to decide as they want)

Even more when the decision is bad for everyone, the victim, the network, his coleagues and customers.

But yes some people loves to do the moral talk but can't think straight even if their lives depend on that. They just want to push an agenda.

It doesn't matter how influential or successful the TV celebrity is, nowadays the BBC - or any company, institution or whatever, can no longer be seen to turn a blind eye based on how big and influential that celebrity is.

A guy attacked his colleague, and his behaviour was bad enough to be fired over, and bad enough for the police to have wanted to investigate further.

Hey man, have you burnt your hand? Because you probably touched the sun trying to reach this far.

who here said they should turn a Blind eye? We just said there were better options that wouldn't harm others as this done.

and he must be a really bad person for his coleagues to decide losing hundreds Thousand pounds to support him. And the guy that was attacked prefered not to push for this.

Police investigation isn't just for vicious case.

I still think this is an elaborated april's fool day joke and that interpretation classes could help you out.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Hedra42 said:
DonFerrari said:

Even more when the decision is bad for everyone, the victim, the network, his coleagues and customers.

But yes some people loves to do the moral talk but can't think straight even if their lives depend on that. They just want to push an agenda.

It doesn't matter how influential or successful the TV celebrity is, nowadays the BBC - or any company, institution or whatever, can no longer be seen to turn a blind eye based on how big and influential that celebrity is.

A guy attacked his colleague, and his behaviour was bad enough to be fired over, and bad enough for the police to have wanted to investigate further.

Hey man, have you burnt your hand? Because you probably touched the sun trying to reach this far.

who here said they should turn a Blind eye? We just said there were better options that wouldn't harm others as this done.

and he must be a really bad person for his coleagues to decide losing hundreds Thousand pounds to support him. And the guy that was attacked prefered not to push for this.

Police investigation isn't just for vicious case.

I still think this is an elaborated april's fool day joke and that interpretation classes could help you out.

The elephant in the room wore bling, a shell-suit, smoked a big cigar and hung around children's hospitals. If you genuinely don't understand what I'm talking about here, then I'll accept your ignorance and excuse your final comment.

It's not me that got my hand burnt, it was the BBC. These days, they are careful to make the right decision, even if it's an unpopular decision, even if it's bad for business, even if some may view it as unreasonably harsh. And believe me, I enjoyed watching Top Gear along with many other fans and I'm sorry to see Clarkson go.

And I'll add a disclaimer right now before anyone clicks on the quote button to hound me for even mentioning it, I am absolutely NOT comparing Clarkson to  that person in any way whatsoever; I am merely pointing out that this decision shows how times have changed.