By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

Angelus said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

So you believe that the UK government/people of the UK should pay this mans salary? An aggressive, racist man who committed a crime (again) and will do so again. He doesn't suit the BBC and would be better off with netflix or someone else.

You can point to probably at least half of anyone working on TV/movies/etc and find some dumb or offensive shit they did. If you're someone running a business faced with the decision of hiring any one of these people the only questions that matters are "Is it good for business? How does it affect our image?"

Well let's see. Clarkson (and his co-hosts who are also out without him) make Top Gear what it is, this is clear since in such a short time people started a petition with over a million signatures to bring him back. So....the people, BBC's fans love him, which means not only does keeping him on resonate with your audience, but you also know that you will not lose millions upon millions of dollars overhauling the show with new hosts. 

It's just that simple. You don't have to like the man personally, but they made a terrible business decision.

Exactly! Business! But BBC are a government entity and are restricted by statutes, laws and regulations. They are not and never should be counted as a business. I had this same issue in a past job. A government entity wanting to compete with private companies.  They want all the perks of competeing as a private company but they are spending tax payer money, therefore are restricted. One tiny example is trying to pay an invoice for them would take 5 times longer and they would only be allowed to use certain contracted vendors (actually quite relevant as this is probably why he got a cold steak). It doesn't work that way and as complicated as it might sound, it's reality. I can't believe they made such a success of the show to begin with with the parameters set. As I said, he needs to go to Netflix or something private.

So no, it's not that simple. And I don't dislike or like him because I don't know him. Heck, the whole racist part might just be a show. He is a performer afterall.

Around the Network
JustThatGamer said:
How do we know the guy Jeremy Clarkson punched wasn't being an utter cunt? He probably deserved it.

Always found Jezza thoroughly entertaining and Top Gear will never be the same without him, the BBC may as well cancel the show because no matter who replaces him, it's dead, over, done, finished...

R.I.P Top Gear.

Indeed, they have effectively fired the person who was assualted in their resolution. Don't really imagine that is justice for him.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Reading some of the comments here make me not want to live on this planet anymore.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:
Angelus said:

You can point to probably at least half of anyone working on TV/movies/etc and find some dumb or offensive shit they did. If you're someone running a business faced with the decision of hiring any one of these people the only questions that matters are "Is it good for business? How does it affect our image?"

Well let's see. Clarkson (and his co-hosts who are also out without him) make Top Gear what it is, this is clear since in such a short time people started a petition with over a million signatures to bring him back. So....the people, BBC's fans love him, which means not only does keeping him on resonate with your audience, but you also know that you will not lose millions upon millions of dollars overhauling the show with new hosts. 

It's just that simple. You don't have to like the man personally, but they made a terrible business decision.

Exactly! Business! But BBC are a government entity and are restricted by statutes, laws and regulations. They are not and never should be counted as a business. I had this same issue in a past job. A government entity wanting to compete with private companies.  They want all the perks of competeing as a private company but they are spending tax payer money, therefore are restricted. One tiny example is trying to pay an invoice for them would take 5 times longer and they would only be allowed to use certain contracted vendors. It doesn't work that way and as complicated as it might sound, it's reality. I can't believe they made such a success of the show to begin with with the parameters set. As I said, he needs to go to Netflix or something private.

So no, it's not that simple. And I don't dislike or like him because I don't know him. Heck, the whole racist part might just be a show. He is a performer afterall.

So you're telling me that because the BBC are a government entity they had no choice but to fire him over a punch and swollen lip? lol

The guy he punched wasn't exactly pressing charges. He wanted to work it out (apparently the only person there who didn't instantly lose his head). I get you gotta draw a line somewhere, and hell if you wanna make it racism or something of that nature, by all means do....but a little punch? You can toss that up to "boys being boys" ffs lol

naruball said:
Reading some of the comments here make me not want to live on this planet anymore.

Well if you stayed after the 1000s of tweets of girls saying they'd happily be with Chris Brown and he could punch them all day, I'm sure you'll be fine. Also from your first comment in this thread you clearly have an opinion formed on Clarkson that is not related to this incident in the slightest.

> https://twitter.com/beatmebreezy < Some of those show how humanity has changed.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

I'm going to bet that James May and Richard Hammond hand in their notices pretty soon, and the three turn up on another channel continuing their antics, it's their dynamic that brought the show it's success, breaking that dynamic has effectively doomed the show from here on in.

Yeah, sod off BBC.

shikamaru317 said:
Tachikoma said:
I'm going to bet that James May and Richard Hammond hand in their notices pretty soon, and the three turn up on another channel continuing their antics, it's their dynamic that brought the show it's success, breaking that dynamic has effectively doomed the show from here on in.

Yeah, I always got the impression that they were pretty close friends, I can't see them wanting to continue on without him. Hopefully the 3 will all end up on another car show on another network.

That reminds me of Mythbusters, I'm still hoping that some network will pick up Grant, Tori, and Kari for a similar show.

Doesn't even have to be a car show lol, I honestly zone out for some of the car heavy stuff on there, watched every ep of Top Gear since 2002 just for the 3 of them fucking around together, nothing beats that or how Clarkson behaves talking to some celebs on the show, when he doesn't like someone he let them know... I guess to his downfall from BBC at least. But yeah I'd watch the 3 of them doing a show where they reviewed bread.

SpokenTruth said:
ganoncrotch said:

Well if you stayed after the 1000s of tweets of girls saying they'd happily be with Chris Brown and he could punch them all day, I'm sure you'll be fine. Also from your first comment in this thread you clearly have an opinion formed on Clarkson that is not related to this incident in the slightest.

He, like myself, probably stayed because there is little option elswhere to live.  And yes, the Chris Brown tweets forced me into researching He3, solar wind, dark energy, anti-matter and ion drives.

Updated my post with a link... started reading them and considered if my bike could get me off the planet but alas you are right we gotta suck it up and just accept there are some odd humans on here with us, best to get along for the most part.

https://twitter.com/beatmebreezy was the link if you missed it, good stuff there if anyone is ever talking about how humanity has advanced in the 21st century.

Angelus said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Exactly! Business! But BBC are a government entity and are restricted by statutes, laws and regulations. They are not and never should be counted as a business. I had this same issue in a past job. A government entity wanting to compete with private companies.  They want all the perks of competeing as a private company but they are spending tax payer money, therefore are restricted. One tiny example is trying to pay an invoice for them would take 5 times longer and they would only be allowed to use certain contracted vendors. It doesn't work that way and as complicated as it might sound, it's reality. I can't believe they made such a success of the show to begin with with the parameters set. As I said, he needs to go to Netflix or something private.

So you're telling me that because the BBC are a government entity they had no choice but to fire him over a punch and swollen lip? lol

The guy he punched wasn't exactly pressing charges. He wanted to work it out (apparently the only person there who didn't instantly lose his head). I get you gotta draw a line somewhere, and hell if you wanna make it racism or something of that nature, by all means do....but a little punch? You can toss that up to "boys being boys" ffs lol

Dude, never said this incident was racist. I said others were. anyway... I'm done trying to explain. You were complaining that BBC had made a business mistake. I am trying to explain why bbc aren't businessmen, and they have a lot of beuacracy to deal with. And why Clarkson is 100% better off working with a private entity. If you can't stop trying to argue with me and accept facts, then it is what it is.

And a little punch? This isn't the first instance. If you condone violent behaviour, that is childish and your choice, but even so, if Jeremy wants to do this kind of thing at work, he needs to get an employer who allows it (not the government). The day they start allowing government employees to beat eachother up in the UK, is the day the UK will collapse.