By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Subspace Emissary-- not that good.

Riot Of The Blood said:
I like it. It really makes me think I'm playing the Gamecube and not the Wii. Everything that made the Gamecube so great is all there! I love it!

Yeah, it's really good imo.

Honestly, and this is from the heart. I never liked melee, lol. I kinda didn't expect this game to be very fun for me, but I hyped it up BIG because, ya know, Nintendo fanboy, lolz pwnd, and whatnot.

Anyway, I got the game and /shock, of course it was fantastic. It's my second favorite Wii game, behind Galaxy, and the I actually personally like it better than Galaxy because its so much longer and more substantial, but I can't rate it higher than Galaxy cause its one of the greatest games ever, imo.

So yeah, really fantastic game. Even SSE isn't that bad, and it wasn't even something I cared about before I started playing it. Everyone was flaming on it and stuff, but when I got into it, it was actually a really cool experience, imo. Vastly under-rated, considering its not bad by any means, it just isn't the epic SMG2 everybody hoped it would be when announced.

The cutscenes really make it for me, and the levels are moderately fun as well.

Nothing beats the arcade though, where you fight though guys like Giant Wario and 3 people at once. Man, that is just another level of fun.

I do love this game, and that's not the fanboy in me speaking. Long after you've all stopped caring about it, I'll probably still be playing this puppy, hehe, SSE and all. That's just me though.

Oh yeah, also, anyone who has ChadWarden in their sig and/or avatar out of respect, well, first off diaf, and secondly, you get no respect from me. I own a PS"Triple" and it's a fine system. Fanboy haters burn in hell, though. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
outlawauron said:
Something that is bothering me.....

What's with the reallllllly long load times?

I see those too. Particularly when I set stage selection to random. The load times will get around 5-10 seconds. I also think the custom stages take longer to load than other stages for some reason.

Also, I haven't noticed any load times. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just used to playing KOTOR on Xbox, lol, and the reviews even said "10 second load times when you start it up."

However, my Wii is relatively new, so it might have something to do with that, or it could just be my perception of load times is bad, but I've tried to look for them and they are very quick on my system as far as I can tell. They are slightly longer than any other Nintendo first party games, but not that much. I put them down as a nitpick in my review because everyone complained about them, but after playing a lot longer today, I would really probably take that off, in my experience, because they haven't been bad at all.

Try this: Go into data and pull up a movie from SSE. The movie on my Wii plays instantly. Like, no milliseconds between when I press the button and the movie plays. Then I press b at any time and am out just as quick. Never seen a game like that. Try it on your Wii and tell me what you think, or if that happens, and lets discuss the loading aspect. 

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I agree that it wasn't the best thing ever, but shit? No. It was fun to play, but it had its issues. Mine with it were the damn auto-scrolling levels. Those bothered the hell out of me. It did get pretty repetitive at times too, but overall it was a fun experience. Just not an incredible experience like the rest of the game. It certainly wasn't that hard...

Ironically, my favorite parts of SSE were the Great Subspace Maze at the end, because they gave me a map and I was never lost haha. Overall it was fun, and I'm glad they added it in.

Oh, and on load times. Other than the 15 second load when you start the game (yes, this is long) I've never seen one over 5 seconds, and I've been counting. I've been playing the game for over 20 hours, and have unlocked all characters and stages... so I doubt any of you have seen anything I haven't.

naznatips said:

Ironically, my favorite parts of SSE were the Great Subspace Maze at the end, because they gave me a map and I was never lost haha. Overall it was fun, and I'm glad they added it in.

I'm an idiot.  I didn't realize they were showing me a map at the save points till like half an hour - 45 minutes of random wandering.  The maze went much quicker after that.

naznatips said:

I agree that it wasn't the best thing ever, but shit? No. It was fun to play, but it had its issues. Mine with it were the damn auto-scrolling levels. Those bothered the hell out of me. It did get pretty repetitive at times too, but overall it was a fun experience. Just not an incredible experience like the rest of the game. It certainly wasn't that hard...

Oh, and on load times. Other than the 15 second load when you start the game (yes, this is long) I've never seen one over 5 seconds, and I've been counting. I've been playing the game for over 20 hours, and have unlocked all characters... so I doubt any of you have seen anything I haven't.

I don't think I ever SSE was shit, I just didn't think it was great or that good.  I do think there are a few areas that are shit but SSE itself isn't shit.  It's not something I would alone, but not bad.  

And about complaining about the length-- SSE is a bonus.  8-10 hours is a huge bonus.  If you're complaining that it took you 8 hours to beat on normal, try a harder difficulty setting you pansies.  :-p 

Around the Network

@naznatips: mine has definitely loaded more than 5 seconds, especially if you skip cutscenes

@everyone:

I may be late to the party, but I LOVE THE SUBSPACE EMMISSIARY!!! It wasn't the best in the world, but I still loved it.

-I loved the cutscenes

-I loved how it helped me get used to the NEWCOMERS' attacks

-I loved how it helped me find out what's been changed (EX: shooting while walking)

-I loved the aunthenticity of the characters' personalities througout the story.

-I loved how the levels were going through each series

-I loved how it made you think about who you need to use (faster characters, stronger characters, ect.)

-I loved the ending

-I loved the explanation that the past 2 games owed us

-I loved the ability to unlock characters through SSE

-I loved Co-Op

-I loved the multi-character setup, that sometimes forced you to see if you would like a character

-I loved it as an alternative to the "Pick a character and stay with it" idea -I loved the lack of a penalty for continuing, as I think that that should only be in classic, allstar, ect. modes where you're just fighting to advance Seriously, I loved it. However, a "Tag" option for characters would have been nice. It also is twice as fun with Co-op, BTW.

What I DIDN'T LIKE:

-DIDDY KONG, I HATE DIDDY KONG. his attacks suck, his "peanut popgun" sucks, and his jetpack sucks and is hard to control. I LIKE PEACH BETTER THAN DIDDY KONG!!!

-Load times (the dual layered disc comes with a price, I guess)

-The second player can't pause

-The second player takes lives away when he/she dies, so that the primary player may die and end the game, because the second player already died 3 times and hogged up the extra lives

-You can't change characters when you lose against the boss (my teammate was fickle at times)

-Being able to leave without regaining all characters (Near the end, I missed Ike, and had to go back and look)

I've never skipped a cutscene L.C.E.C. That's probably why. I suppose they are using the cutscenes to preload.

naznatips said:
I've never skipped a cutscene L.C.E.C. That's probably why. I suppose they are using the cutscenes to preload.

Yeah, a lot of games use cut scenes to mask load times so unless it's a really long cut scene it's pretty pointless to skip them.

L.C.E.C. said:

What I DIDN'T LIKE:

-DIDDY KONG, I HATE DIDDY KONG. his attacks suck, his "peanut popgun" sucks, and his jetpack sucks and is hard to control. I LIKE PEACH BETTER THAN DIDDY KONG!!!

I hope you're not saying you dislike Peach.  I know that would be insane because Peach is quite awesome and no sane person would say that, but I'm just making sure.

Captian_Twig said:
BLASPHAMY!

This is BLASPHAMY! THIS IS MADNESS!!

Madness?

THIS IS SSBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!