By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Subspace Emissary-- not that good.

So I did the whole midnight launch thing last night and brought Brawl home and then played it until about 4AM (stupid time change).  I got up this morning and played it some more and don't get me wrong, I love the game, but Subspace Emissary isn't very good.

Now before you all hand me out to draw, the smash parts are great, the cut scenes and animations are brilliant (Ridley cut scene is *awesome*), and even the stickers are fun but the platforming is pure shit.

The frustrations from some of the platforming parts of the game just really bring down the whole thing.  And after thinking about it a little more it really reminds of old school Nintendo platformers.  Not the godly good platformers like Super Mario Bros 3, but more like the crappy ones like Bugs Bunny BirthdayBash, the Adams Family, or any other platformers that might set the Angry Video Game Nerd off on a rant.

They have terrible platforming parts with the bouncy things, they have rooms that just drop you into fire, a lot of the screen moving bits are terrible, sometimes they just expect you to know what to do, they are terribly repetitive, and so on.  It's like they warped themselves back to the 80's when level designers didn't exist and they just let the programmers make the levels.

Subspace Emissary isn't a total waste in that I don't want the 4 hours of my life back like I do with  Lost: The Game but it definitely isn't really good.  And of course everything else in the game more than makes up for it.

Around the Network

Damn I was looking forward to some good Co-op subspace Emissary....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

you're just frustrated twesterm isn't in the game.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Really????? Because I heard lots of good things about the SSE.....

Scoop!

Around the Network
supermariogalaxy said:
Really????? Because I heard lots of good things about the SSE.....

It's something that is worth playing and I'm glad I am, but it just isn't that good because of the really bad platforming parts (especially the research facility).

Seriously, the best way I can describe it is to just think of some of the bad platformers back in the NES days. 

RolStoppable said:
You are just a bad gamer, that's all.

Besides, it's Smash Bros., why would anyone expect proper platforming in this game?

I didn't expect something along the lines of Super Mario Bros 3 or any other great platformer, I just expected something decent.  Some of the characters work great for platforming and then others are just terrible.

There was one spot in particular this morning where I was using Diddy (I hate Diddy) that I just wanted to throw the game through the window.  And right after I finished that I was in the next level with some moving platform puzzle that was just painful.

It's OK for a game to be frustrating because it's a hard game but it's not OK for a game to be frustrating because of terrible design and rooms that are just meant to kill you.  Pulling stupid little jokes like that on the player just isn't fun. 

RolStoppable said:
twesterm said:
RolStoppable said:
You are just a bad gamer, that's all.

Besides, it's Smash Bros., why would anyone expect proper platforming in this game?

I didn't expect something along the lines of Super Mario Bros 3 or any other great platformer, I just expected something decent. Some of the characters work great for platforming and then others are just terrible.

There was one spot in particular this morning where I was using Diddy (I hate Diddy) that I just wanted to throw the game through the window. And right after I finished that I was in the next level with some moving platform puzzle that was just painful.

It's OK for a game to be frustrating because it's a hard game but it's not OK for a game to be frustrating because of terrible design and rooms that are just meant to kill you. Pulling stupid little jokes like that on the player just isn't fun.

The platforming parts in Melee's adventure mode were pretty bad as well. Not sure if you played that, but I take a guess and say no. Otherwise you wouldn't sound as disappointed about SSE as you do now.

I remember fiddling with it but don't remember if I liked it or not.  I probably didn't since I only played the actual Smash Bros part.  :-p

Everybody knows this game is all about the multiplayer, so I'm not too surprised or angry. They were just trying to flesh out the game, but the multiplayer is the focus of most people. I will only play that to get characters or whatever else. Never just for fun.

Personally, I've been really enjoying the subspace emissary but that could be because I've avoided all Brawl news in order to enter the game without expectations