By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Subspace Emissary-- not that good.

I don't know what's with the hate. I love SSE. I wish they would continue it in a full fledged game, and just flesh it out a bit more. Make it's own control system, and improve the RPG elements. I think it's a great addition and have been glued to it (except when I'm glued to the online multiplayer).

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

I just loved the SSE and never had trouble with the platforming at all. Maybe you just can't control all the characters properly yet? I'm not saying you're lacking skills or anything... I guess it's just a matter of getting used to how the new SSBB engine works (gravity the same for every character like in the N64 version, etc.).

What I really liked about the SSE was the fact that it didn't feel like I was playing a Smash game, it really felt like it was a totally new game! Playing with the Wiimote just made the whole experience better, like if I was playing a NES game! Oh, and playing Co-op is even better than solo in every way. I have to admit that some of the character pairs were a bit weird though (Captain Falcon and Olimar? WTH? xD).

At least it's better than Melee's Adventure Mode, so that's already a big plus in my book. I want moar...! ;_;

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

First off, I really don't understand how people could have had issues with figuring out where to go. Especially like WoW said about jumping off cliffs. Seriously, I never ran into a single part that was like that in the entire game.

Wait, no, I take that back. When I was in the very last stage, there was one shadow door that I found that was in one random pit - the second to last in a series of pits. That one was goofy, but everywhere else, it made sense.

The game was designed like that exactly on purpose. Just because it's not your style doesn't make it "poorly done". Every one of the aspects like that, every time the camera was goofy, it was entirely on purpose. I'm not sure where things turned into "developers have to do it exactly this way or else it's called bad design!", but I don't really think that's how things are supposed to be.

My only real complaint was in the Trowols and the Armanks, two of the most annoying baddies I've ever seen in a videogame.

Personally, I gave SSE an 8.5 on an objective scale (as a standalone game), and a 9.4 on a subjective scale (putting SSBM's Adventure mode into consideration, and how it's not even the main focus of the game).

SW-5120-1900-6153

I've really enjoyed SSE. My only complaint is that they didn't throw in some voice acting to flesh out the story a bit.

You should go force yourself to play one of the old Soul Calibur story modes. "Oh what's this, it's a fight where I fight against a guy I've fought ten times before. Oh wait now he has 3 times the hp and I have 30 seconds to beat him." That should make you appreciate SSE. =)

thetonestarr said:
First off, I really don't understand how people could have had issues with figuring out where to go. Especially like WoW said about jumping off cliffs. Seriously, I never ran into a single part that was like that in the entire game.

The main levels I had in mind when I was writing that were the ZSS/Pikachu levels.  Those were really confusing for me.  The "gondola" part in particular was annoying because it was really easy to ride one to your death or miss seeing one while riding another.

The edge grabbing thing gets annoying when trying to descend in certain levels.  I was playing a Zelda level and Zelda grabbed the edge maybe 5 times before I could get where I wanted to.  The magnetic-like edge cling is nice in brawls but annoying in SSE to me.

Around the Network

I was pleasantly surprised by the cut scenes, I didn't expect anything of that quality. I will agree though that SSE feels a bit... tedious at times.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

I loved SSE but hated one of the later stages with Diddy and Fox cause of the level design I would jump grab onto the latter there (which I didn't want to do) then jump of and accidentally grab the next latter and then try to jump on the platform from there and end up falling and dying, then I groaned a few times playing the maze cause of how big it was and finding out the guy you're supposed to face was on the other side of the map, and even though you could teleport you still had to go through the same area you've been through 4 or 5 times already. Other then that I really liked it, 8/10 for me. Everything else is just much better.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MrOuija_AK said:
I've really enjoyed SSE. My only complaint is that they didn't throw in some voice acting to flesh out the story a bit.

You should go force yourself to play one of the old Soul Calibur story modes. "Oh what's this, it's a fight where I fight against a guy I've fought ten times before. Oh wait now he has 3 times the hp and I have 30 seconds to beat him." That should make you appreciate SSE. =)

My biggest complaint is that almost the entire story of SSE was displayed by the videos... yet they didn't take the little bit of extra time to make it so the whole story would be fully present in the videos (maybe by completing the missing parts with extra videos after the fact?), and they didn't take the time to include, in the videos menu, a feature to watch all of them like a movie.

That would have been so, so epic. 

As for your second statement... ahaha, oh, how I agree.

Words Of Wisdom said:

The main levels I had in mind when I was writing that were the ZSS/Pikachu levels.  Those were really confusing for me.  The "gondola" part in particular was annoying because it was really easy to ride one to your death or miss seeing one while riding another.

The edge grabbing thing gets annoying when trying to descend in certain levels.  I was playing a Zelda level and Zelda grabbed the edge maybe 5 times before I could get where I wanted to.  The magnetic-like edge cling is nice in brawls but annoying in SSE to me.

Hmm. I don't recall having problems with either of those situations. Perhaps I took a different route in those levels? Or maybe I used the other character in those parts, and that made all the difference, I'm not sure. But yeah, I don't recall any of those situations being present whatsoever. *shrugs.*

SW-5120-1900-6153

Sorry, didn't read anything but the OP because I don't want to read any spoilers. Really Tommy, I think you just got caught up on the hype train and then it turned out the SSE wasn't as good as playing with a bunch of friends. I don't know of course, haven't played yet, will be playing this weekend. I'm just hoping the story is "epic" and silly and pretty fantastic with cool cut scenes. That will make me happy. Peace out.

you'll get pretty much what you want, fkusumot. The cut scenes are awesome, and the story while fairly simple is cool, has a few plot twists, and a ton of awesome characters being awesome. SSE made me love DeDeDe ten times as much as I already did. He is so freakin' cool in it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.