By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sadly, I'm Just Not Sure Nintendo Can Impress Me Anymore

shinsa said:

Watch out for the nintendo defense task force!

Know what? I Like them both! One more then the other but they both fulfill my gaming needs what ever that may be at the time.

I don't think any reasonable Nintendo fan will take exception to someone stating a preference for Sony, XB, PC etc. but there is a way of stating that preference without inciting a response. e.g. I like Sony more than Nintendo because Nintendo doesn't have games likes Uncharted and Gran Turismo. Simple to the point and with focus on the positives of your own preference.

But when you say things like, "Maybe it has been too long since Nintendo has grabbed me. Maybe I'm too old. Maybe when I look at Nintendo games today, I wonder why I'd bother when I have...you know, grown-up games I have to catch up on.", you are begging for an exuberant response. Not only is the author implying that those who chose to play Nintendo games are not grown-up he is untentionally highlighting his own immaturity. The irony alone is hard to pass up. 

I would argue against anyone who, in principle, turns their nose up at an entire console's library, but such weak justification shows that the author is closed minded and has an agenda other than simply evaluating games/consoles on their merits.  Personally I'm not offended, it's just that not I'm particularly interested in wasting my time listening to that kind of person. Their lack of impartiality means I am unlikely to learn anything of any real value, either about my preferred company's games or theirs.

Around the Network

I "grew out" of Nintendo a few years ago, in the sense that I found other things to scratch the same itch that their games do. And by that point, I was starting to find their library stale.

I pick up a Nintendo game to have fun. Increasingly, though, I'm finding their brand of fun kind of boring.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

my sentiments on sony/microsoft D:

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Who wants to grow up anyways?

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

hsrob said:

But when you say things like, "Maybe it has been too long since Nintendo has grabbed me. Maybe I'm too old. Maybe when I look at Nintendo games today, I wonder why I'd bother when I have...you know, grown-up games I have to catch up on.", you are begging for an exuberant response. Not only is the author implying that those who chose to play Nintendo games are not grown-up he is untentionally highlighting his own immaturity. The irony alone is hard to pass up. 

Not trying to defend the author's sentiment, but yours is one that bothers me.

Let's be honest, there are a lot of things that adults consume that are meant for a younger audience. That doesn't make those people less "grown-up," any more than it makes the things they consume more grown-up. I certainly don't consider most Nintendo games to be "grown-up games," but that doesn't stop me from playing them.

Around the Network
Mythmaker1 said:
hsrob said:

Not trying to defend the author's sentiment, but yours is one that bothers me.

Let's be honest, there are a lot of things that adults consume that are meant for a younger audience. That doesn't make those people less "grown-up," any more than it makes the things they consume more grown-up. I certainly don't consider most Nintendo games to be "grown-up games," but that doesn't stop me from playing them.

I'm not sure but I think you may have mistaken my meaning. 

My assertion is the author was implying that because HE is too old and too grown-up for Nintendo games, that those who play Nintendo games are not grown-up, not that I believe there really is such a thing.

I think, adult or child, you should play the games that appeal to you, not playing a game purely because it doesn't appear grown-up is a sure sign of immaturity.  Now again you may not like these games for other reasons but if it is purely based on the superficial and aesthetic then I think that is unfortunate.

I see Nintendo's core franchises much like I see Pixar movies, superficially they appeal to children but they have depth that means they can appeal to adults as well.

Areym said:
curl-6 said:

I was a little bit like this with Sony.

Loved the PS1 to bits, fell out of love with the comparatively soulless and bland PS2, was briefly interested again by the PS3, only to be disenchanted once more by PS4.

Soulless and bland? You mean the console with a bazillion games from all genres and support from all sides?
Oh i get it. You're not into black rectangle...it's all about them cubes, right?

It had a metric kiloton of games, but so few of them actually stood out as interesting, which is the same vibe I get from PS4/Xbone. PS2's exclusives lacked the spark that games like the Crash trilogy and Spyro had on PS1. The whole system and most of its library felt cold and clinical, without the spirit of playfulness and invention that made PS1 so awesome.

fps_d0minat0r said:
curl-6 said:

I was a little bit like this with Sony.

Loved the PS1 to bits, fell out of love with the comparatively soulless and bland PS2, was briefly interested again by the PS3, only to be disenchanted once more by PS4.

The consoles with the largest and most diverse library of games ever is soulless and bland?

Something definately is soulless and bland, and its not the PS2.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7158317

hsrob said:

I'm not sure but I think you may have mistaken my meaning. 

My assertion is the author was implying that because HE is too old and too grown-up for Nintendo games, that those who play Nintendo games are not grown-up, not that I believe there really is such a thing.

I think, adult or child, you should play the games that appeal to you, not playing a game purely because it doesn't appear grown-up is a sure sign of immaturity.  Now again you may not like these games for other reasons but if it is purely based on the superficial and aesthetic then I think that is unfortunate.

I see Nintendo's core franchises much like I see Pixar movies, superficially they appeal to children but they have depth that means they can appeal to adults as well.

Perhaps it is my own perspective, but given how he follows up that remark that doesn't seem to be what he's implying.

As far as the Pixar perspective, I think I know what you're getting at, but I'm not sure that's a good comparison. Film and games are different medium, obviously, but the depth in a Pixar movie comes more from theming and storytelling, rather than the mechanical depth of Nintendo games. With that said, I'd consider Nintendo's brand of depth by and large more superficially appealing to adults than the other way around.

Kind of a stupid thread.

I loved WWF (now WWE) Wrestling when I was a kid.

I don't care about WWE now, haven't watched any wrestling related event in 20+ years, wouldn't spend a dime on it. My interests simply changed as I got older.

I don't need to bemoan or crap on people who still like wrestling though (good for them).

And I don't need to have a thread saying "look at me, everyone, Wrestlemania XXX doesn't excite me in any way".

Like who cares? If the guy was a recent Nintendo fan and recent events had moved him to other brands, ok maybe that's relevant, but you haven't owned a Nintendo console since 1995 and you want us to get amped up that you're not interested in a Nintendo console launching in 2016/2017? Who cares dude.