By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will Sony cut price for the first time and how much?

When and how much?

Summer (E3 to Gamescom) by $50 46 19.09%

Summer by $100 11 4.56%

Fall by (After Gamescom till November) $50 30 12.45%

Fall by $100 21 8.71%

Holiday (November or December) by $50 48 19.92%

Holiday by $100 17 7.05%

Q1 2016 by $50 22 9.13%

Q1 2016 by $100 4 1.66%

Later 2016 by $50 31 12.86%

Later 2016 by $100 11 4.56%

Total:241

Whenever TSMC gets enough capacity on their 22nm line to start manufacturing the APU at 22nm. Currently the PS4 APU is ~350mm2 which is fairly large, 22nm is roughly a 40% shrink so should bring the APU down to 210mm2, which will mean Sony gets roughly 33% more APU's out of each wafer (which is how TSMC charges for fabrication).

The APU is estimated to cost ~$100, so a 33% cost reduction brings it to ~$67. Then you get lower power consumption so the PSU can be shrunk (currently its rated to 250 W even though peak power is ~ 150W). Then Samsung is now manufacturing 1Gb GDDR5 chips which will allow Sony to reduce the memory chip count from 16 to 8 which should net them ~ 30% cost reduction (the higher capacity chips will cost more than the older ones) and the motherboard will get smaller as a result.

So you're looking at roughly $50-$80 savings from the component cost reduction alone, a reduction is packaging costs and case size enabled by the reduction in PSU and motherboard size will probably eak out another $20, so sometime this year Sony may be able to reduce the cost $100 without hitting profit. E3 or just before black friday would be the logical time to do it.

Alternatively Sony will do all of the above and keep the price at $399 because they can, though I think once XB1 makes the above shrinks MS will cut the price as soon as they can, which will force Sony's hand.

Around the Network

Tbh there is no slowing down. At $399 they are still dominating. Imo they will cut $349.

in august-sep and a 50$ price cut.

Announced at e3 for either a 50$ or 100$ with no/15days psplus.

vivster said:
As soon as people stop buying that thing at $400.

This. And since everyone here is starting to predict sales in the range of 100-155m units, it won't have a price drop until maybe 2017. Maybe the holiday season of 2016.

Around the Network

When the sales take a dive

Think about this: I'm still waiting for a price cut for PS3 with a decent hard drive for less than 199'99.

$349.99 in September, probably to counter Halo 5 and cash in on Madden season.

I am expecting a $100 price cut at E3. Sony did the same thing with PS2 back when it had no competition. Right now they have MS off to a decent start, and playing really hard to be competitive.

With all of the cash flow they have comming in from PSN, and the fact they have been profitable on hardware for a long time on PS4 already, I think the smartest play is to try and stop the competition before they can ever get any momentum. Accelerate the growth of the userbase, and let the network bring in massive amounts of revenue and profit, from Games, PS Vue, PS Music, PS+, and an ever growing list of content.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

2016 together with The Release of Morpheus and PS4 Slim.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.