By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will Sony cut price for the first time and how much?

When and how much?

Summer (E3 to Gamescom) by $50 46 19.09%

Summer by $100 11 4.56%

Fall by (After Gamescom till November) $50 30 12.45%

Fall by $100 21 8.71%

Holiday (November or December) by $50 48 19.92%

Holiday by $100 17 7.05%

Q1 2016 by $50 22 9.13%

Q1 2016 by $100 4 1.66%

Later 2016 by $50 31 12.86%

Later 2016 by $100 11 4.56%

Total:241

October 2015 drops to $299, holidays see some bundles.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Whenever the new model comes out...

I can easy see a SLIM PS4 by Sept 2016 at $299 or less.     So, maybe $349 by Sept 2015 for this PS4 ? Who knows. The fact is Sony is selling more than X1 and WiiU combined every week, approaching very fast the 50% Market Share, and sure we won't see any price cut before Sept 2015. Just my 2 cents.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Ruler said:
I think the ps4 has a lot of value speaking for itself to still hold its current price tag, it has no competition in the performance/price ratio. I think only if MS shrinks down costs to release an x1 slim for 300$ sony might drop the price to 50$. MS is trapped right now as the xbox 1 costs more to produce dueto things like the hdmi in slot. Sony has also a lot of IPs who can always be bundled in it or giving PS+ giftcards.

-HDMI In

-Rising DDR3 costs

-Expensive ESRAM

-more materials and higher shipping costs due to a bigger design

Yeah they really F'd up the design of their system.

Sony is in a state where it needs profits and the PS4 is selling exceptionally well. It makes absolutely no sense to drop the price now. I'd expect more bundles and no price drop anytime soon.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Holiday if Microsoft stays at $350, otherwise they drop to $350 when MS drops to $300.

Around the Network

Classically, what you do is set the price at the max amount that doesn't hinder demand. Now we know that Sony is making profit on every PS4 sold. We also understand that their financial situation is such that they really don't have any incentive to lower the price (Especially because they are outselling the competition). That being said, they will eventually lower the price and I think it will be by $100.

Probably not until another year. I just don`t see them budging anytime soon.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

I agee, they are selling quite well at $400 for this generation and I think they will continue to do so without dropping their price.  Therefor it will probably be at least a year or so before the market will encourage Sony to decrease the price of its console.  

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

slab_of_bacon said:
Cloudman said:

I agee, they are selling quite well at $400 for this generation and I think they will continue to do so without dropping their price.  Therefor it will probably be at least a year or so before the market will encourage Sony to decrease the price of its console.  

You pretty much nailed my thoughts on this, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
slab_of_bacon said:

You pretty much nailed my thoughts on this, haha.

i don't think its about them selling well. I think its about how much better they can sell. 

Should Sony stay at $400 and sell 14-15M per year or should they drop to $300 and sell 18-20M per year. If they are in this to make money, the second option is better.