By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will Sony cut price for the first time and how much?

When and how much?

Summer (E3 to Gamescom) by $50 46 19.09%

Summer by $100 11 4.56%

Fall by (After Gamescom till November) $50 30 12.45%

Fall by $100 21 8.71%

Holiday (November or December) by $50 48 19.92%

Holiday by $100 17 7.05%

Q1 2016 by $50 22 9.13%

Q1 2016 by $100 4 1.66%

Later 2016 by $50 31 12.86%

Later 2016 by $100 11 4.56%

Total:241
Mystro-Sama said:

Who knows really. The PS4 is killing it. They might just maintain launch price for a while and maintain a sexy profit margin.

They like the profits no doubt.  However if they can stay profitable WITH a price cut I think they'll be motivated to at least in the states since X1 is still nipping at their heels and will likely continue to be aggresively priced.  The PS4 was about breaking even at launch from what I've heard.  The components naturally come down with time and it'll have been 2 years this September.  I also heard they make larger GDDR5 cards now so they don't have to have as many cards in there.  I also heard the CPU had been minimized in some way when they changed the internals (they change the serial number which means someting inside changed).  It'll most definitely be fairly profitable by Septebmer at $350 and may even be close at $300.  I think they should keep up the craziness rather than wait till it is dead to cut price.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
Augen said:
October 2015 drops to $299, holidays see some bundles.

If they drop price in late October/early November by $100 we may see one of the biggest NPDs of all time...ALL TIME

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Intrinsic said:
Cloudman said:

You pretty much nailed my thoughts on this, haha.

i don't think its about them selling well. I think its about how much better they can sell. 

Should Sony stay at $400 and sell 14-15M per year or should they drop to $300 and sell 18-20M per year. If they are in this to make money, the second option is better. 

If they were adamant about selling more, I think we would have seen a temporary drop during the holidays, but they stuck to their guns. Either way works for Sony, but I guess if it`s still selling strongly, there isn`t much reason to drop the price.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

platformmaster918 said:
Augen said:
October 2015 drops to $299, holidays see some bundles.

If they drop price in late October/early November by $100 we may see one of the biggest NPDs of all time...ALL TIME

i agree

would be shocked if they go more than 50 this yr

i think we'll just get really good deals and bundles this year and then a 100 cut summer of 2016 at least thats what id do

Play Me

Around the Network

My guess is that Sony will announce a price drop near UC4 release in 2016.