By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will Sony cut price for the first time and how much?

When and how much?

Summer (E3 to Gamescom) by $50 46 19.09%

Summer by $100 11 4.56%

Fall by (After Gamescom till November) $50 30 12.45%

Fall by $100 21 8.71%

Holiday (November or December) by $50 48 19.92%

Holiday by $100 17 7.05%

Q1 2016 by $50 22 9.13%

Q1 2016 by $100 4 1.66%

Later 2016 by $50 31 12.86%

Later 2016 by $100 11 4.56%

Total:241

Not until 2016, why? Because they don't care if they sell less units than Microsoft. Sony needs the money and lowering the price of the PS4 would kill their profits.

Around the Network

I consider bundles as indirect price cuts, and we've already had a lot of those. The next stage is a substantial drop (no less than 100€/$), which I believe will occur in a few months, possibly announced during the next E3.

I'm going to say $50 pricecut announced at E3, bundled with 2/3 1st party games. The pricecut will take immediate effect.

I'm guessing $50 price cut for the holidays, though I suspect we'll see a few bundles between now and then. Adding a $50 game to a console costs them less than dropping the price by $50 while adding nearly the same value (assuming it's a game people want).

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Why do they need to drop the price when sales are still so high? Even so, I say October-ish.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Around the Network

October 2015 for $349.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

will drop when its WW sales below 10k every week for a straight of maybe 3 months...

KLXVER said:
Whenever the new model comes out...

Ditto.  I think Sony's gonna wait to deliver one big knock-out punch instead of adjusting things little-by-little.  So in otherwords I predict:

-Fall 2015

-$299 price tag

-New Slim design with 20nm SOC

Currently the PS4 is making tons of profit and they will want to keep that up until the slim model allows drastic cuts in cost.

Captain_Tom said:
KLXVER said:
Whenever the new model comes out...

Ditto.  I think Sony's gonna wait to deliver one big knock-out punch instead of adjusting things little-by-little.  So in otherwords I predict:

-Fall 2015

-$299 price tag

-New Slim design with 20nm SOC

Currently the PS4 is making tons of profit and they will want to keep that up until the slim model allows drastic cuts in cost.

The way people throw around "new slim" like its push button stuff amazes me. I will be surrpiaed if we see a PS4 slim before the end of 2016. I'm expecting it to come around 2017.and retail for $200.

The drop to $300 will still be on the current model, even though cost saving revisions would have been made internally. Kinda like how you could get a Fat PS3 for $399 before the $299 slim PS3 was released. I expect the same to happen with the PS4.

• $299 PS4 fall 2015
  • $199 PS4 slim fall 2017
  • PS5 fall 2019

I think the ps4 has a lot of value speaking for itself to still hold its current price tag, it has no competition in the performance/price ratio. I think only if MS shrinks down costs to release an x1 slim for 300$ sony might drop the price to 50$. MS is trapped right now as the xbox 1 costs more to produce dueto things like the hdmi in slot. Sony has also a lot of IPs who can always be bundled in it or giving PS+ giftcards.