By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think splatoon is just a shooter with colors?

Splatoon is NOT a shooter. It is a SPRAYER and the start of a new genre of game... I think.

Around the Network
160rmf said:
Zekkyou said:

Your quote doesn't really fit what he said. There's a big difference between seeing 'adult' as a term of approval, and simply believing something is too childish for your tastes. The reverse (believing a game is too violent etc) is also fine. You wouldn't criticize a 40 year old for saying they've outgrown Dora the Explorer, nor for being uncomfortable with shooting someone in a game.

Yeah i wouldn't, because dora is a infant program. Splatoon is TPS with mechanics that make it more complex than a lot of "adult" shooters nowadays. If you were trying to compare both things you are dong it very wrong

I wasn't, it was just a useful example of something most would write off based on age. If you decide you don't like something because it's for kids, you're being childish. If you just believe it's too childish for your tastes, you're doing nothing wrong (or abnormal for that matter). It's no different than believing a game is too gritty/'mature' for your tastes. The latter doesn't make you immature. In both cases 'childish' and 'mature' are simply descriptive words, like me describing Pokemon as a "childish looking game". It is, but i still love it :p It's an aesthetic I've never grown out off (though as I've aged the stories have gotten progressively worse lol).

We really shouldn't be talking about this here though. I didn't intend for it to become a proper discussion, so i hope my reply covers everything ^^ If it doesn't you can PM me.

It's more than that. It's a fresh taken on a genre which has gotten a bit stale and uninspired over the past fewer years

It's about controlling area instead of kills. That and the ability to travel through your teams paint makes it fundamentally different.

I realise there are other games that have area controll game modes, such as King of the hill in Halo but they are more focussed on specific area's. It actually reminds me more of graffiti mode in Tony Hawk.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Wait.. Its not a cinematic shooter?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It is being WAAAAAY overhyped by the Nintendo community. Been hearing for ages "shooters are bad" then Nintendo makes a shooter and they overhype the heck out of it.

I have nothing against Nintendo but this game is likely to flop, and hard

Around the Network

Yes it is just a shooter with colors, but it looks like a whole bunch of fun!

But the core objective is inherently different from other shooters. You aren't killing people, you are modifying the landscape and using your surroundings to go through puzzles and areas beyond shooting others. It is more aligned to portal than any shooter

kitler53 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Splatoon is a lot more than just a "shooter with colors" unless of course, the people that says it havn't been keeping up with the trailers/news. This game has plenty of deep mechanics that out do many shooters these days on its gameplay portion. Each character can have various rolls such as shield or paint roller or AoE and each roll is important to winning the game and plays differently from each other. On top of that, if you are a squid, u can traverse the level in various different ways like via thin wire for example and how u spread the paint can really change how you and your team mates go around the level and where the enemies can go to. And the list goes on.

I think the only reason some people are downplaying this is cause it looks too "kiddie" and "cartoony" cause god forbid we have a TPS with some actual color and cuteness. It always has to be about "gritty realism" to be taken seriously these days

name one shooter in the last 10 years that doesn't have more than 1 gun type...

most shooters these days have jet pack gameplay, or vehicles, or mechs, or whatever.

those taking offense to the "shooter with color" line by listing off some gameplay elements,.. i seriously think you underestimate how many non-nintendo games have more than 1 gameplay element in them.  by my last count,.. all of them do.  saying splatoon is soo unique because it's got a couple twists on the base shooting mechanic is really a backhanded insult the all the other games in the genre that already do that too.

Of course shooters have more than one gun type but that was not what I was getting at. My point was that the guns in splatoon act very differently and are used very differently as opposed majority of the shooters out there... Virtually every gun are designed to affect the level in some way and spread paint as well as obviously killing the enemy.

And its not only about having jetpacks or whatever when it comes to splatoon. Paint judges where you can and cannot go so as well as the level design itself, people have to consider spreading paint in order to move around which also brings in a lot of things because if you go in the paint, you will be significantly slowed and will be a sitting duck. The paint itself is of course, not pre-done and you, as well as other people have to spread it out so that you can move around or zone out the enemy from going to your area. The paint element is what makes the game very unique because its not just used as a replacement for bullets in order to kill the enemy but rather, it effects the game in various different ways.

And not to mention there is the squid element which lets you go around the level very fast while being hard to detect but you can't spread paint while being in that form and you cant go on the enemies paint either so you are always limited to your paint. And of course, you can go through certain areas such as thin wires while you are in squid form which you can't while you are in non-squid form. The levels themselves also have somethings like for example, if you shoot this sponge thing, it will become bigger for a limited time which lets you go onto it as a different route and the game has tons of other things.

So imo, calling it just another shooter with colors is just nonsense because it ignores its unique elements and just makes it sounds like the only reason its different is because it looks cartoony which is very false. You should watch gameXplain cause they have tons of analysis about this game and they do a very good job at explaining how the game will be played based on the trailers. This game isn't just about ways to kill the enemy, it also massively changes how people can traverse the levels and etc. Sure, other games have their own unique elements to them but none of them is really as different as Splatoon is and that is excluding the cartoony look. Almost all of their goals is just for you to go and kill people with essentially the same type of gun with a different skin but it basically does the samething with some twists here and there such as building destruction in BF or mechs in Titanfall or killstreaks in Cod where as in splatoon, while you do have some guns that are the same, majority of the guns including the standard ones are used for different things other than just killing people and the main goal of splatoon is to have the most amount of paint in the level, not to just kill and win.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850