By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think splatoon is just a shooter with colors?

Its very different from every other boring repetitive shooting game.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Game_God said:

On the contrary, I think it fits perfectly as the objection is exactly the age perception of the game. Again the here the objection has nothing to do with game mechanics, it's the "kiddie" colorful perception of the game image that is to blame. Again I quote: "to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence". Wanting to seem grown-up & only playing games that don't "look too young" is quite the opposite of being a real adult.

Again, there's a big difference between seeing 'adult' as a term of approval, and simply believing something is too childish for your tastes. Both are tied to age, but the latter is perfectly acceptable. 

That quote is saying it's silly to shy away from something because it's perceived as childish, not that being uninterested in something childish makes you inherently childish yourself. If the latter were true then it would apply to pretty much everyone. I doubt you'll find anyone who enjoys everything they did as a kid the same amount now; some things are simply better suited to children. That doesn't mean an adult can't enjoy them, but sometimes people just outgrow them. Which things they outgrow and which they stick with depends on the person.

Regardless, this is rather off-topic so i'll leave things off here.

I watch the trailer and there is a body explosion so it's still violence

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Zekkyou said:
Game_God said:

On the contrary, I think it fits perfectly as the objection is exactly the age perception of the game. Again the here the objection has nothing to do with game mechanics, it's the "kiddie" colorful perception of the game image that is to blame. Again I quote: "to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence". Wanting to seem grown-up & only playing games that don't "look too young" is quite the opposite of being a real adult.

Again, there's a big difference between seeing 'adult' as a term of approval, and simply believing something is too childish for your tastes. Both are tied to age, but the latter is perfectly acceptable. 

That quote is saying it's silly to shy away from something because it's perceived as childish, not that being uninterested in something childish makes you inherently childish yourself. If the latter were true then it would apply to pretty much everyone. I doubt you'll find anyone who enjoys everything they did as a kid the same amount now; some things are simply better suited to children. That doesn't mean an adult can't enjoy them, but sometimes people just outgrow them. Which things they outgrow and which they stick with depends on the person.

Regardless, this is rather off-topic so i'll leave things off here.

I do agree with that. Your tastes change as you grow up & not all you did as kid is interesting as an adult. But in this case, I think the problem is mainly the colorful look of the game & eventual "kiddie" perception of it that is judged not the nature of the game, a 3rd person shooter.

He has not outgrown TPS, he disqualifies the game only by its adult or lack of it, "looks".

Take care ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Looks like a run of the mill arena TPS to me. Some nice ideas added in but nothing to suggest the game is out of the ordinary barring art direction.

But Nintendo at the helm is very often a game changer so we'll see.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
160rmf said:
DerpSandwich said:
Anyone who says that doesn't even know the most basic concept of the game, and thus should just be ignored.

Go on and create a thread with a title: SMASH BROS is a fighting game period.

by the way...the key word is "JUST"

What?  Are you referencing me, or the people who say it's just a shooter with colors?  People I'm saying those people are dumb and wrong.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

What makes it unique is how you interact with the environment. Other FPS have tried to do similar tweaks with varying degrees of success (brink, titanfall, advanced warfare)

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Its an interesting premise... With the most overt sexual undertones I have seen in any game EVER!

Splatter your ink (genes) to cover the world you roam... Shoot your opponents with your ink (aim for the head) swim through your own ink...

Just kidding... Sometimes an apple is just an apple... But I do find the concept very clever, new and surprised it hasnt been done before... Very smart and creative people in that company.

Are Metroid and Portal just shooters? If so, then yes; its just shooter with colours.

Its more of a stealth-strategy hybrid expressed through a combination of shooter and platformer mechanics with a central focus on territory control... Which is to say 'awesome'.

DerpSandwich said:
160rmf said:

Go on and create a thread with a title: SMASH BROS is a fighting game period.

by the way...the key word is "JUST"

What?  Are you referencing me, or the people who say it's just a shooter with colors?  People I'm saying those people are dumb and wrong.

Oh i'm a sorry! for a moment i thought you were saying people who say that isn't a shooter

We reap what we sow