By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Latest Edge reviews(Brawl and GoW included)

Onimusha12 said:
I still can't decide is GOW COO is being underated by reviewers or over-rated by people starved for games on the PSP. Either way I'm sure it will be a must buy regardless and will do exceptionally well.

Ouch, lol. If you listen to the propoganda, the PSP is flush with great games this gen like MLB 06: The Show, and doesn't need any piddly single game to keep them occoupied.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
I still can't decide is GOW COO is being underated by reviewers or over-rated by people starved for games on the PSP. Either way I'm sure it will be a must buy regardless and will do exceptionally well.

I have the funny feeling it's going to be the second but that's just me.  I still never got around to playing GoW2 (I've had it for months and months) but I played GoW plenty and it was pretty overrated.  Assuming the formula of the game hasn't changed (because why would it, that would be like changing Halo, Super Smash Bros, or Pokemon) I'm guessing Chains of Olympus will be about the same.

Don't get me wrong, the action was quite good and it was one of the few games where I didn't hate the real time button sequences (whatever they're called), but the puzzle elements were terrible and the level design just wasn't good.  The game would have been so much better if they just didn't include those but instead they had a bunch of horribly unintuitive puzzles and some general bad level design.

Brawl only a 9, Army of Two a 4....

Tss...

Edge have given some 10/10s in the past 3 in total but the only one of them i can rember is Halo and that is becuase after a few months they admited it didnt deserve the 10/10 rating they gave it. Think either Mario 64 or Zelda OOT was one of the other's.

I prefer Edge reviews lots of other magazines and sites seem to have forgotten that numbers lower than 7 even exsists so they work on a 4 point raiting system.

>I prefer Edge reviews lots of other magazines and sites seem to have forgotten that numbers lower than 7 even exsists so they work on a 4 point raiting system.

Have you checked out some of the Wii's game scores? Kidz series is exactly reason why sites need to revive the 0 point taboo.

;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Yea obviously Edge doesn't review shovelware so they just rate everything else lower, kinda silly really.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Those scores are actually realistic.

I'm glad to see that some reviewers still have high expectations.

I don't think Edge scores in .5's and I don't think they give 10's(not sure), so 9 is almost a perfect score. Not many games score a 9, lol.

So, basically, if you examine it, Edge did just what you flamed other sites for doing with Brawl, which is giving it the highest accolades it can muster. :P

@supermario128

I think that 9 is the highest score edge hands out, and I don't think they score with any .5's, nor do they give out 10's as far as I know. Might wanna wikipedia it.

Here's straight from the Wikipedia page:

It was almost three years before Edge gave a game a rating of "ten-out-of-ten". This score was previously defined as "revolutionary", with the other ratings having similar labels. However, with issue 143 the scoring system was changed to a simple list of "10 = ten, 9 = nine..." and so on, a tongue-in-cheek reference to people who read too much into review scores.[11]

The magazine has only awarded this score to eight games:[12]

In contrast, only one title has received a one-out-of-ten rating, Kabuki Warriors.

[edit] Posthumous awards

In December 2002, Edge awarded "posthumous" ten-out-of-ten ratings to the following titles:

In Edge's 10th anniversary issue in 2003, GoldenEye 007 (1997) was included as one of the magazine's top ten shooters, along with a note that it was "the only other game" that should have received a "ten out of ten" rating. The game had originally been awarded a "nine out of ten", with the magazine later stating that "a ten was considered, but eventually rejected".

Resident Evil 4, which came second in Edge Presents The 100 Best Videogames, originally obtained a nine, but according to the 100 Best Videogames issue, it came "as near as dammit to the sixth (at the time) Edge ten".

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

and I thought gamespot were the worst

Hey, new user, first post...

Seriously, what's with people bitching about Edge's scoring system? Irrespective of the scores other magazines decide to award, Edge's system is entirely fair. A game rated five-out-of-ten has scored in the middle of the ratings system, thus can be construed as AVERAGE. A 6 is better than average, a 7 is quite impressive, an 8 even better, a 9 utterly outstanding and a 10 revolutionary in that a 10 implies near perfection.

Is Brawl nearly perfect? No, of course it isn't - its online feature set is significantly gimped for a start. Nonetheless, it's an incredibly good game, hence a 9.

A Phoenix Games title (*shudder*), comparatively, would be worthy of a 1 because it is atrocious. Between those two extremes we have 5s and 6s - mediocrity. "Not bad" titles.

I really don't see what the fuss is here. It's American publications overly gushing with praise that bastardise the scoring system. You bitch about an average game receiving a 5 or a 6? "Whah, whah! Why didn't it get at least a seven?" Jesus...

Good for Brawl as I'm sure it deserves it (I will know for sure tonight... midnight launch baby!!), but GoW definitely deserves better than a 7. The game is the best PSP game yet IMHO. Whateva though, I will just keep enjoying the game and not worry too much about the reviews lol.

Oh ya... super ouch for Army of Two.

Just kiss the tip.