By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Latest Edge reviews(Brawl and GoW included)

Good score for Brawl, and Halo 3 a 10 WTF!!!

Around the Network
Cheetos1 said:
Brawl only a 9, Army of Two a 4....

Tss...

That's tied for the highest rating Edge has ever given, with very few exceptions. "only a 9" read some of the posts.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

daydream said:
Hey, new user, first post...

Seriously, what's with people bitching about Edge's scoring system? Irrespective of the scores other magazines decide to award, Edge's system is entirely fair. A game rated five-out-of-ten has scored in the middle of the ratings system, thus can be construed as AVERAGE. A 6 is better than average, a 7 is quite impressive, an 8 even better, a 9 utterly outstanding and a 10 revolutionary in that a 10 implies near perfection.

Is Brawl nearly perfect? No, of course it isn't - its online feature set is significantly gimped for a start. Nonetheless, it's an incredibly good game, hence a 9.

A Phoenix Games title (*shudder*), comparatively, would be worthy of a 1 because it is atrocious. Between those two extremes we have 5s and 6s - mediocrity. "Not bad" titles.

I really don't see what the fuss is here. It's American publications overly gushing with praise that bastardise the scoring system. You bitch about an average game receiving a 5 or a 6? "Whah, whah! Why didn't it get at least a seven?" Jesus...

This guy works for Edge magazine.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

stof said:
I like the way Edge scores. I'd rather games be ranked on a 1 to 10 scale than a 6.5 to 10 scale.

And remember 6 itself usually means Satisfactory.

Although I am surprised that Halo 3 is one of their 10's. Great game and all, but not exactly Revolutionary.

Forge and replays on consoles is pretty revolutionary. Only skate has replay and only UT 3 beats forge. Of course, I don't think it's worth a 10 but whatever...

twesterm said:
Onimusha12 said:
I still can't decide is GOW COO is being underated by reviewers or over-rated by people starved for games on the PSP. Either way I'm sure it will be a must buy regardless and will do exceptionally well.

I have the funny feeling it's going to be the second but that's just me.  I still never got around to playing GoW2 (I've had it for months and months) but I played GoW plenty and it was pretty overrated.  Assuming the formula of the game hasn't changed (because why would it, that would be like changing Halo, Super Smash Bros, or Pokemon) I'm guessing Chains of Olympus will be about the same.

Don't get me wrong, the action was quite good and it was one of the few games where I didn't hate the real time button sequences (whatever they're called), but the puzzle elements were terrible and the level design just wasn't good.  The game would have been so much better if they just didn't include those but instead they had a bunch of horribly unintuitive puzzles and some general bad level design.

There are plenty of great games on the PSP, and GoW is one of them. Added to that, 3 games in the top 4 (tied, metacritic) just came out in GoW; CoO, CC, and Patapon. I'm sorry you didn't like GoW1, but I found it to be the most entralling action game I've ever played. It actually had a great story to go along with great controls and enemies, especially the boss fights. It seems to have transitioned perfectly to the PSP as well.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
daydream said:
Hey, new user, first post...

Seriously, what's with people bitching about Edge's scoring system? Irrespective of the scores other magazines decide to award, Edge's system is entirely fair. A game rated five-out-of-ten has scored in the middle of the ratings system, thus can be construed as AVERAGE. A 6 is better than average, a 7 is quite impressive, an 8 even better, a 9 utterly outstanding and a 10 revolutionary in that a 10 implies near perfection.

Is Brawl nearly perfect? No, of course it isn't - its online feature set is significantly gimped for a start. Nonetheless, it's an incredibly good game, hence a 9.

A Phoenix Games title (*shudder*), comparatively, would be worthy of a 1 because it is atrocious. Between those two extremes we have 5s and 6s - mediocrity. "Not bad" titles.

I really don't see what the fuss is here. It's American publications overly gushing with praise that bastardise the scoring system. You bitch about an average game receiving a 5 or a 6? "Whah, whah! Why didn't it get at least a seven?" Jesus...

This guy works for Edge magazine.

Eh, I agree with him. 1up uses the same scoring scale. 5 is average (although now called "C" judging by past reviews that they have changed to letters. 75 seems to be B. Anyway, I appreciate that Edge is willing to be "harsh" even if I disagree with scores, such as GoW getting only a 7.