By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Has Happened to Sony’s First-Party Exclusives?

I stopped being influenced by review scores a long time ago.
more people should do the same

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

So I take it you can't name me a single game then.

Name me one game where you spray ink on the floor and the team that covers the most terrain in their color's ink wins.

Likely Mario Party already done similarly on MP 4

Name me one game where you use the gamepad like you do in the Bowser mode of Mario Party 10.

Use of a controller is an inovation Now?

Name me one platforming puzzle game where you play on diorama levels and can't jump. Because Captain Toad is entirely based around that concept.

Ecochrome?

Name me one game that uses the wall painting mechanic like in ALBW. Because the whole game is based around that simple (but ingenious) concept.

TV Show have one level about reforming a house and one of the main parts were painting.

Name me one platformer that combines 2D and 3D elements like SM3DL and SM3DW. Crash also combined 2D with 3D elements, but in a different, equally innovative way. The 2D and 3D elements might not be new by themselves, but together they create something new.

I haven't played SM3DL and DW, but Jak and Dexter use 2D and 3D elements, the same in R&C, not sure about who done it in the more competent way because I haven't played SM3DL and DW, but that isn't inovation as well, just improving on established things.

See answer in bold... Maybe you haven't played them so you wouldn't know, and probably there are also a lot of other games I never played that also have done the things you are asking about.

The Stamp Out! minigame plays nothing like Splatoon. Splatoon is a third person shooter when playing it online, Stamp Out! is viewed from the top down. It's slow and doesn't have vertical heights for example. You can't change forms while standing in your own colour's ink. The singleplayer campaign of Splatoon will play like a platformer and not a turf based third person shooter. Safe to say there has never been a platformer like this. And yes, being able to change into a squid while in your ink is a core concept of the game. It gives you a whole new set of abilities. And well, Stamp Out! is a minigame, not a game. There has never been a full game built around this concept.

And yes, use of a controller is innovation, it's why the Wii won the last gen. I can't believe you had to ask that. You can shoot fireballs as Bowser by blowing into the mic while aiming with the gyroscopic controls of the gamepad. How sweet is that?

TV Show? What game is that?

Echochrome is interesting, but not the same. For example, you can cross a gap by changing the camera angle so the gap isn't visible anymore. The whole game is built around that mechanic. Unique game, but Captain Toad is clearly different. Only thing they have in common is the diorama levels and I never stated Nintendo invented those lol. They have a similar concept, but they tackle it completely differently. In Captain Toad you change the camera to explore the level, in Echochrome you change the camera to alter the flow of the level. You'd have to ask the creator of Captain Toad if he was thinking about Echochrome while creating this concept anyway. But regardless of that, they're quite clearly different in their approach.

And as you said, you haven't played SM3DL or SM3DW, so you can't comment on it.

Anyway, you do realize that two or more people can invent the same thing independantly from each other, right? Just because it already existed doesn't mean the thought process behind it wasn't innovative. I mean, it's always possible some small obscure indie game did something first, but what does that mean if almost no one heard of it?

Samus Aran said:
Lawlight said:

Something that doesn't apply to Nintendo.

Look at Mario Party reviews lol.

Unlike many other companies, Nintendo actually changes a lot of things with its sequels. New Super Mario Bros. series is an exception, but they don't get high scores on metacritic anyway.

Tell me about how the Mario Kart games or Pokemon games change a lot of things. As for NSMB - it's is fairly highly rated.

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

See answer in bold... Maybe you haven't played them so you wouldn't know, and probably there are also a lot of other games I never played that also have done the things you are asking about.

The Stamp Out! minigame plays nothing like Splatoon. Splatoon is a third person shooter when playing it online, Stamp Out! is viewed from the top down. It's slow and doesn't have vertical heights for example. You can't change forms while standing in your own colour's ink. The singleplayer campaign of Splatoon will play like a platformer and not a turf based third person shooter. Safe to say there has never been a platformer like this. And yes, being able to change into a squid while in your ink is a core concept of the game. It gives you a whole new set of abilities. And well, Stamp Out! is a minigame, not a game. There has never been a full game built around this concept.

And yes, use of a controller is innovation, it's why the Wii won the last gen. I can't believe you had to ask that. You can shoot fireballs as Bowser by blowing into the mic while aiming with the gyroscopic controls of the gamepad. How sweet is that?

TV Show? What game is that?

Echochrome is interesting, but not the same. For example, you can cross a gap by changing the camera angle so the gap isn't visible anymore. The whole game is built around that mechanic. Unique game, but Captain Toad is clearly different. Only thing they have in common is the diorama levels and I never stated Nintendo invented those lol. They have a similar concept, but they tackle it completely differently. In Captain Toad you change the camera to explore the level, in Echochrome you change the camera to alter the flow of the level. You'd have to ask the creator of Captain Toad if he was thinking about Echochrome while creating this concept anyway. But regardless of that, they're quite clearly different in their approach.

And as you said, you haven't played SM3DL or SM3DW, so you can't comment on it.

Anyway, you do realize that two or more people can invent the same thing independantly from each other, right? Just because it already existed doesn't mean the thought process behind it wasn't innovative. I mean, it's always possible some small obscure indie game did something first, but what does that mean if almost no one heard of it?

As I have said I was Just showing games that used the same concept or similar mechanics elements not that they played the same.

Depending on how a person classifies all those are inovative (and even smaller things) or none of those. But I won't disagree the way you described feels unique even if not inovative.

About the Control. The control itself can be considered inovative but the use alone not necessarily. DS had games you used the mic to blow and control. Several games used gyro on ps3/ps4. Using your definition I could say infamous is inovative because no other game allowed you to use the gyro to graffity a wall or the pad to destroy enviroment. Or Killzone not only because you had an unique drone to comand but you could even use the pad to order it around.

And I have no problem playing games highly inovative, minor improvements but unique game or even games "generic" but that I enjoy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I haven't had the privilege of playing Splatoon yet, however, although there might not be many games where you are doing team based combat with paint that you can then travel faster through, it's still drawn from the concepts of capture the flag/territory grab (see many a 90s online FPS). It's not the first game to involve paint as the weapon/combat element (Jet Set Radio, Paintball, Epic Mickey heck, even Golden Eye on the N64 had paint as an option), heck there's a real world sport of that, and it's also not the first game where you colour in environments (Epic Mickey, De Blob) for territorial advantages (many a game once you "own" an area, you get perks from this, whether it's increased resources, additional abilities etc.)

So while yes, it's an original combination, none of it's ideas are actually original themselves.

True innovation, is actually a completely fresh idea or implementation, not a hybrid of existing ideas.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
oniyide said:

LOL you said Ratchet and Clank wasnt a platformer. You dont even know what GENRES you are arguing. Its ok you've embarrassed yourself enough in front of these people. Have a good night and dont fill up on crow

Ratchet & Clank is a action adventure game with some platforming elements. It's still not a platformer which has jumping from one platform to another as its main concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYeKpvtuFY

This review sums up my thoughts well. Watch it through the end and not just the beginning. ;)

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/ratchet-and-clank-into-the-nexus-ps3/   if you read the description it is described as being a platformer and action/strategy/platformer. So im going to believe the word of some youtuber over the actual official classification that the publisher gave it?! lol ok man

But this game brings me to my next point, clearly it has elements from other genres. You can make as much lists as you want, fact is none of what you said those games did was NEW and no taking elements from multiple games and combining them is cool, it isnt exactly new as it has been seen before just in a differerent capacity. IE your whole what game combines 2d/3d elements like that. Its a silly question because you are asking what game plays exactly like that where very few games play exactly like each other, even within their own genre. (Tekken/VirtuaFighter) But its silly to suggest no other game had been released similar to it. There really just another isometric platformer thats been done before(Sonic 3D Blas)

Now if you find combining elements that existed before is innovative then we're just gonna have to agree to disagree

oniyide said:
Samus Aran said:

Ratchet & Clank is a action adventure game with some platforming elements. It's still not a platformer which has jumping from one platform to another as its main concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYeKpvtuFY

This review sums up my thoughts well. Watch it through the end and not just the beginning. ;)

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/ratchet-and-clank-into-the-nexus-ps3/   if you read the description it is described as being a platformer and action/strategy/platformer. So im going to believe the word of some youtuber over the actual official classification that the publisher gave it?! lol ok man

But this game brings me to my next point, clearly it has elements from other genres. You can make as much lists as you want, fact is none of what you said those games did was NEW and no taking elements from multiple games and combining them is cool, it isnt exactly new as it has been seen before just in a differerent capacity. IE your whole what game combines 2d/3d elements like that. Its a silly question because you are asking what game plays exactly like that where very few games play exactly like each other, even within their own genre. (Tekken/VirtuaFighter) But its silly to suggest no other game had been released similar to it. There really just another isometric platformer thats been done before(Sonic 3D Blas)

Now if you find combining elements that existed before is innovative then we're just gonna have to agree to disagree

I don't give a shit what the description of the game is. You barely did any platforming in that game.

Congo is officialy named the Democratic Republic of Congo. Does this mean Congo is a democracy now? -,-"

Sonic 3D Blast isn't remotely similar to SM3DW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y71PZ3D9kY

How on earth this is supposed to be a platformer I don't know. Just because it has cartoony graphics? Metroid is more of a platformer than Ratchet & Clank will ever be and that's a Metroidvania game.

MikeRox said:

I haven't had the privilege of playing Splatoon yet, however, although there might not be many games where you are doing team based combat with paint that you can then travel faster through, it's still drawn from the concepts of capture the flag/territory grab (see many a 90s online FPS). It's not the first game to involve paint as the weapon/combat element (Jet Set Radio, Paintball, Epic Mickey heck, even Golden Eye on the N64 had paint as an option), heck there's a real world sport of that, and it's also not the first game where you colour in environments (Epic Mickey, De Blob) for territorial advantages (many a game once you "own" an area, you get perks from this, whether it's increased resources, additional abilities etc.)

So while yes, it's an original combination, none of it's ideas are actually original themselves.

True innovation, is actually a completely fresh idea or implementation, not a hybrid of existing ideas.

Knowledge is cumulative. You're pretty much saying nothing is innovative by this. Cooking food for the first time  is not innovative to you because creating fire and eating aren't completely fresh.

Throughout history we have built upon the knowledge of a past generation. I guess the steam engine in Europe during he Industrial Revolution wasn't innovative because the theory behind such a machine had already been established more than 2000 years ago... Knowledge doesn't start of from fresh every time. We'd still be cavemen if that was true.

And none of the games you described are remotely similar to Splatoon.

To be fair reviewers last gen were very generous some times. I like it better now, without 9's flying around every corner.

Since i don't have a PS4 yet, i will refrain my self from bashing any games, but from what is available now i would only get Resogun, and i am not sure if that counts =P. Bloodborne will change that though, can't see it under 85 on Metacritic (and under 90 would already make a lot of noise).

Funny enough despite the review scores almost everyone i've met claims they liked the order because they didn't have overblown expectations for it.