By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Has Happened to Sony’s First-Party Exclusives?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Well, first of all, I think using Metacritic scores as objective criteria for quality is a mistake. They speak only to the general consensus among critics, not to any game's greatness.

Second of all, it's a little disingenuous to compare four years of PS3 output with fewer than two years of PS4 output.

That said, I do think Sony's first-party output this generation, on PS4 and Vita, has been generally underwhelming. But Sony's first-party effort last generation wasn't exactly stellar either. Killzone 2 was a giant leap backward from the premiere game. Uncharted started strongly with Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, then sank into mediocrity with Drake's Deception. Heavy Rain, while ambitious and packed with interesting ideas, utimately deteriorated into a case of style over substance. Really, the best game on PS3 was a third-party exclusive: Demon's Souls. 

In general, I think that's always been the case with Playstation systems. It's third-party software -- often exclusive third-party software -- that defines each generation: games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, and Demon's Souls. The exception to the rule is Team Ico, the games of which are among the best of the sixth generation. Unfortunately, Team Ico hasn't produced a game in a decade.

I expect this third-party dominance to continue with Sony's latest home console. I'd wager games like Bloodborne, The Phantom Pain, and Street Fighter V will end up being the cream of the crop on PS4 when this generation comes to an end.

Some of what you say is true but the bolded is just blasphemy. KZ2 is by far the best game in the killzone series and it's not even close. A significant number of people still play it online to this day for a reason. It was the first console FPS I know of to allow customizable servers, had clan organization and tourneys built in at launch, a new different mode system, battle replays, all kinds of stat tracking, weekly medals and most importantly, rewarding gunplay among other things.

To this day, I've yet to find another fps that matches KZ2. Even if you were one of those who didn't like it because "teh controls", you have to agree that it was by far the most feature rich game in the series and it's not even close.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:

I haven't had the privilege of playing Splatoon yet, however, although there might not be many games where you are doing team based combat with paint that you can then travel faster through, it's still drawn from the concepts of capture the flag/territory grab (see many a 90s online FPS). It's not the first game to involve paint as the weapon/combat element (Jet Set Radio, Paintball, Epic Mickey heck, even Golden Eye on the N64 had paint as an option), heck there's a real world sport of that, and it's also not the first game where you colour in environments (Epic Mickey, De Blob) for territorial advantages (many a game once you "own" an area, you get perks from this, whether it's increased resources, additional abilities etc.)

So while yes, it's an original combination, none of it's ideas are actually original themselves.

True innovation, is actually a completely fresh idea or implementation, not a hybrid of existing ideas.

Knowledge is cumulative. You're pretty much saying nothing is innovative by this. Cooking food for the first time  is not innovative to you because creating fire and eating aren't completely fresh.

Throughout history we have built upon the knowledge of a past generation. I guess the steam engine in Europe during he Industrial Revolution wasn't innovative because the theory behind such a machine had already been established more than 2000 years ago... Knowledge doesn't start of from fresh every time. We'd still be cavemen if that was true.

And none of the games you described are remotely similar to Splatoon.

Nowadays, no nothing really is. At least in terms of video games everything has been done pretty much already, it doesnt matter if its done now in a different way its not new cause the basic experience hasnt changed. You can say Splatoon all you want, but at the end of the day its still a 3rd person shooter. Thats not innovative cause its not a wholly new experience.

oniyide said:
Samus Aran said:

Knowledge is cumulative. You're pretty much saying nothing is innovative by this. Cooking food for the first time  is not innovative to you because creating fire and eating aren't completely fresh.

Throughout history we have built upon the knowledge of a past generation. I guess the steam engine in Europe during he Industrial Revolution wasn't innovative because the theory behind such a machine had already been established more than 2000 years ago... Knowledge doesn't start of from fresh every time. We'd still be cavemen if that was true.

And none of the games you described are remotely similar to Splatoon.

Nowadays, no nothing really is. At least in terms of video games everything has been done pretty much already, it doesnt matter if its done now in a different way its not new cause the basic experience hasnt changed. You can say Splatoon all you want, but at the end of the day its still a 3rd person shooter. Thats not innovative cause its not a wholly new experience.

Does it play like any third person shooter before it? Oh, and it's a platformer in the singleplayer campaign. Innovation! ;)

Reviews didn't show the taste of every gamer, you could like a game like crazy even if it got bad reviews. The taste of every gamer are different

The Order 1886 is a 3rd party exclusive though.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
The Order 1886 is a 3rd party exclusive though.

Its first party. Sony owns the IP, but this was an initiation game. If it did well Sony most likely would've brought Ready at Dawn into the family after working for them for so long on their PSP games. They had to make a game in Sony's signature style which generally tells a  story. Problem is for the reception they made it story over gameplay. They hit the nail on the head with the way Sony makes games though. Creating a borderline experience.

Samus Aran said:
oniyide said:

Does it play like any third person shooter before it? Oh, and it's a platformer in the singleplayer campaign. Innovation! ;)

Haven't you just been ridiculing someone  earlier in this thread for calling Ratchet and Clank a platformer (which it is regarded as) because 100% of the focus wasn't on platforming?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:

Haven't you just been ridiculing someone  earlier in this thread for calling Ratchet and Clank a platformer (which it is regarded as) because 100% of the focus wasn't on platforming?

The focus of the singleplayer is platforming, the focus of the online is a  turf based third person shooter. 

Ratchet & Clank has vast open levels with enemies to beat up. There's very little platforming in those games. If you think Ratchet & Clank is a platformer I advise you to 100% DKC: TF with just DK.

Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:

The focus of the singleplayer is platforming, the focus of the online is a  turf based third person shooter. 

Ratchet & Clank has vast open levels with enemies to beat up. There's very little platforming in those games. If you think Ratchet & Clank is a platformer I advise you to 100% DKC: TF with just DK.

you do an awful lot of jumping to and from platforms in ratchet and clank. they've expanded on it and made it more fun. Is super mario galaxy not a platformer because you have planets you go to and run around? 

Kerotan said:
Samus Aran said:

you do an awful lot of jumping to and from platforms in ratchet and clank. they've expanded on it and made it more fun. Is super mario galaxy not a platformer because you have planets you go to and run around? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Q9E7H8taw

This is platforming.

The "platforming" in Ratchet & Clank is pretty standard stuff. If I had to review this game as a platformer it wouldn't get high scores. I didn't die once while playing Into the Nexus.

Even Zelda, which doesn't even have a jump button, has platforming in it. You do an awful lot of jumping to and from platforms in Metroid, but no one calls it a platformer.

I play R & C for the crazy gadgets/weapons and gorgeous visuals. Mindless fun really. But platforming? Nah, I'll play something else then. ;)