By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Has Happened to Sony’s First-Party Exclusives?

Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:

Did I say anything about that game being innovative or not?
I think it's funny that you assume I think only Nintendo innovates. Hilarious logic.

I think you missed the point I was making. However, you cited permadeath as innovation from Fire Emblem when a Western RPG had used the concept several years before Fire Emblem was released.

Scrap that then if you want, the most important thing I said came after that which you all convienently ignored. It's this interplay between perma death and the relationships you can build between your crew by fighting alongside each other (marry, have babies, recruit said offspring to your army, etc) that makes FE: A a unique game. You also unlock extra perks on the battlefield if you pair up two fighters with a good relationship. And there's a shit ton of specific dialogue that can be unlocked this way.

Oh and the wall painting mechanic in ALBW is genius. I've never seen something like that before. Especially not how it was incorperated into the puzzles and boss fights.

Well, there are certainly other games which do all those concepts, particularly again, on PC. However, I didn't get to experience Fire Emblem until the GameCube release in 2003 as I don't speak Japanase so I have no idea whether Fire Emblem was the very first to use some of those concepts.

That said, you really should get a Vita, it sounds like Fire Emblem inspired a lot of Vita exclusive RPGs.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said

I think you missed the point I was making. However, you cited permadeath as innovation from Fire Emblem when a Western RPG had used the concept several years before Fire Emblem was released.

Scrap that then if you want, the most important thing I said came after that which you all convienently ignored. It's this interplay between perma death and the relationships you can build between your crew by fighting alongside each other (marry, have babies, recruit said offspring to your army, etc) that makes FE: A a unique game. You also unlock extra perks on the battlefield if you pair up two fighters with a good relationship. And there's a shit ton of specific dialogue that can be unlocked this way.

Oh and the wall painting mechanic in ALBW is genius. I've never seen something like that before. Especially not how it was incorperated into the puzzles and boss fights.

Well, there are certainly other games which do all those concepts, particularly again, on PC. However, I didn't get to experience Fire Emblem until the GameCube release in 2003 as I don't speak Japanase so I have no idea whether Fire Emblem was the very first to use some of those concepts.

That said, you really should get a Vita, it sounds like Fire Emblem inspired a lot of Vita exclusive RPGs.

And even if Nintendo had invented all the concepts used in games today, by using a concept they have done in the 90's don't make it inovative today. Although being unique on the combination I could agree, and most games are unique in some way.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Agree 100%, but we have gone really off-topic =]

Back to the point. I think than more than undeserved hate on Sony I get more incomodated by the unbased praise for Nintendo from reviewers... I know it is opinion and tastes but I can hardly justify their inflated metacritics as I'm certain that if it was the same game but made by MS or Sony it would lose 20 points automatically.

Well, I'm not really sure what to think about critical reception of Sony games.  It'd be very easy to allow for conspiracy theories, but I just don't know.  I know I've found much entertainment in the Ps4 games I've played thus far, and all that really tells me is reviewers are completely disconnected with what I prefer.  That's...not that unusual really.

As far as the praise Nintendo gets, well, to be fair, Fire Emblem sounds like once it was quite innovative, or at least, added uncommon elements to gaming.  The problem is, after 30 years, can you still call it innovative?  Or...is it just rehashing the same old material?  I mean, other games get docked for rehashing the same elements from previous iterations...so, I don't know.  I do like Nintendo, and I like the alternative to the overtly violent games that're out these days (call me square, I think kids should be able to enjoy child hood, and introducing them to war, death, etc... before they really need to.  Or GTA for that matter.  I think GTA is pretty much unparalleled in the level of detail that they painstakingly recreate (with humor, of course), in any number of embarassing realities of America in decades past.  But, that's not a kids game...never was.  I think Nintendo does great things to help develop the imagination, but...it's hard to continue investing in them as I got older, simply because they don't really like to do adult games (which they themselves have admitted openly).  And that's fine. 

Ok, no more derailing. 

DonFerrari said:
mornelithe said:

Nah, it was just a cash grab, and an attempt to force a very small group of people to buy into something.  The problem is, anyone who played Steel Battalion w/ the controller, knew how awesome it was, and knew how impossible it would be for Kinect to be any kind of capable replacement.  Which is all very true, regardless of Kinect's applications elsewhere (Which I think there are some great ones), that was not one of them, and they straight up ruined probably the best Mech game ever made, over it.

Back to the point. I think than more than undeserved hate on Sony I get more incomodated by the unbased praise for Nintendo from reviewers... I know it is opinion and tastes but I can hardly justify their inflated metacritics as I'm certain that if it was the same game but made by MS or Sony it would lose 20 points automatically.

You don't really believe this right? I can already tell you now that Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 will get 90%+ on metacritic.

I guess metacritic scores will be relevant then again? ;)

At least Nintendo doesn't release broken games that still get 80%+ on metacritic (like some third parties). And how did Halo: MCC get 87% on metacritic? It's still not working properly!

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

You don't really believe this right? I can already tell you now that Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 will get 90%+ on metacritic.

At least Nintendo doesn't release broken games that still get 80%+ on metacritic (like some third parties). And how did Halo: MCC get 87% on metacritic? It's still not working properly!

(I know you were talking to someone else, but wanted to comment)

No, I will never respect Metacritic's rankings until they, at the very least, adopt the actual definition of below average (under 50), average (50), above average (50+).  The fact that so many gaming sites, and gamers have accepted their idiot math I find quite depressing.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
DonFerrari said:

Well, I'm not really sure what to think about critical reception of Sony games.  It'd be very easy to allow for conspiracy theories, but I just don't know.  I know I've found much entertainment in the Ps4 games I've played thus far, and all that really tells me is reviewers are completely disconnected with what I prefer.  That's...not that unusual really.

As far as the praise Nintendo gets, well, to be fair, Fire Emblem sounds like once it was quite innovative, or at least, added uncommon elements to gaming.  The problem is, after 30 years, can you still call it innovative?  Or...is it just rehashing the same old material?  I mean, other games get docked for rehashing the same elements from previous iterations...so, I don't know.  I do like Nintendo, and I like the alternative to the overtly violent games that're out these days (call me square, I think kids should be able to enjoy child hood, and introducing them to war, death, etc... before they really need to.  Or GTA for that matter.  I think GTA is pretty much unparalleled in the level of detail that they painstakingly recreate (with humor, of course), in any number of embarassing realities of America in decades past.  But, that's not a kids game...never was.  I think Nintendo does great things to help develop the imagination, but...it's hard to continue investing in them as I got older, simply because they don't really like to do adult games (which they themselves have admitted openly).  And that's fine. 

Ok, no more derailing. 

I also don't think it is much of conspiracy (maybe some paid articles to make MS look better, but I doubt it), but I do think they are much harsher with the games released on Sony platforms than I am (and I don't like all sony games)... but that may just be different tastes... same for Nintendo, for me (and I like their games and also preffer that my son plays nintendo until he is a lot older so I can introduce him to other games, on PS I would have to separate the games he can play (small portion actually), but I do (maybe biasedly) think Nintendo gets too much free pass on rehashing or maybe the reviewers just try to find an angle where Ninty inovates so they can justify the high scores they like.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

mornelithe said:
Samus Aran said:

No, I will never respect Metacritic's rankings until they, at the very least, adopt the actual definition of below average (under 50), average (50), above average (50+).  The fact that so many gaming sites, and gamers have accepted their idiot math I find quite depressing.

Actually that's the fault of gaming sites for rating games so highly. Metacritic uses a different defintion for movies because movie critics are usually less lenient than their video game counterparts.

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

I do believe that if SMG launched on PS4 it would be said it is repetitive, rehashed IP, poor graphics and several other excuses to drop the score... I don't disagree of the love for Ninty games, but the scores seem inflated a lot of times.

I know there is a good chance BB and UC4 get over 90, but it is more possible 80-90.

Nope you won't see me thinking metacritic is relevant or true... at most you will see myself celebrating TLOUR got 95+ meta or several critical acclaim (although I preffer to play UC than TLOU).

Some of the games you named aren't first party though? Also, what about MLB The Show? That is one of my favorite games on Sony consoles and I love that it's exclusive and first party. Another thing, we are SO early in the generation... Maybe pump the breaks a bit and make this thread in 5 years if it still applies (which it most likely won't)

Samus Aran said:
mornelithe said:

Actually that's the fault of gaming sites for rating games so highly. Metacritic uses a different defintion for movies because movie critics are usually less lenient than their video game counterparts.

It's the fault of gaming sites and gamer's collectively.  Gaming sites wouldn't have kept using it had gamer's had the same complaint week in and week out.  Again, we do have some control in this industry, but we're so separated into fifedoms of loyalty, that we've never really exerted that power before.  And I think the only way the gaming business survives it's own greed, is if gamer's band together and actually exert that will, once in awhile.  But, it will require that we get over our differences of opinion on hardware, and software, and simply accept that we're all gamers, we all love games, and we all want gaming to continue to grow.