By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Has Happened to Sony’s First-Party Exclusives?

Samus Aran said:

Did I say anything about that game being innovative or not?
I think it's funny that you assume I think only Nintendo innovates. Hilarious logic.

I think you missed the point I was making. However, you cited permadeath as innovation from Fire Emblem when a Western RPG had used the concept several years before Fire Emblem was released.

This is my point, you might think something a game does is mega cool, new and "innovative". But the chances are, another game has already done it. The best games tend to be evolving previous ideas, rather than fully introducing them, themselves. However I'll happily give you Majora's Mask. That structure of that game was genius.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
mornelithe said:

There's an eject button that lights up on the ~2 and a half foot proprietary controller for SB, so, you gotta be kinda daft not to hit it when your mech is dying.  Freakin amazing game though, probably my favorite Xbox exclusive ever.

So they just punish dumbness... but it is severe =]

Yeah, very severe...such an amazing game, though.  Microsoft was out of their fucking minds to abandon the controller in lieu of Kinect for the 2010 Heavy Armor.  Basically a slap in the face to anyone who actually paid the $250 for the original+controller, and now has to go out and buy an inferior interface (for mechs), for another ~210 (Game+Kinect)...?  The fuck were they thinking, bunch of absolute assholes.

MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:

Did I say anything about that game being innovative or not?
I think it's funny that you assume I think only Nintendo innovates. Hilarious logic.

I think you missed the point I was making. However, you cited permadeath as innovation from Fire Emblem when a Western RPG had used the concept several years before Fire Emblem was released.

Scrap that then if you want, the most important thing I said came after that which you all convienently ignored. It's this interplay between perma death and the relationships you can build between your crew by fighting alongside each other (marry, have babies, recruit said offspring to your army, etc) that makes FE: A a unique game. You also unlock extra perks on the battlefield if you pair up two fighters with a good relationship. And there's a shit ton of specific dialogue that can be unlocked this way.

Oh and the wall painting mechanic in ALBW is genius. I've never seen something like that before. Especially not how it was incorperated into the puzzles and boss fights.

mornelithe said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, very severe...such an amazing game, though.  Microsoft was out of their fucking minds to abandon the controller in lieu of Kinect for the 2010 Heavy Armor.  Basically a slap in the face to anyone who actually paid the $250 for the original+controller, and now has to go out and buy an inferior interface (for mechs), for another ~210 (Game+Kinect)...?  The fuck were they thinking, bunch of absolute assholes.

I must be one of the few people that misses the awesome proprietary video game specific controllers. Densha De Go was epic with the controller :D

I guess it's a consequence of Arcades dying, as they were for the most part just home console versions of the arcade controls. I never did play Steel Battalion, sadly I was a poor teenager when the original came out and £150 was out of my price range at first, by the time I could afford it, it was such a small run that it had completely sold out :(

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
mornelithe said:

I must be one of the few people that misses the awesome proprietary video game specific controllers. Densha De Go was epic with the controller :D

I guess it's a consequence of Arcades dying, as they were for the most part just home console versions of the arcade controls. I never did play Steel Battalion, sadly I was a poor teenager when the original came out and £150 was out of my price range at first, by the time I could afford it, it was such a small run that it had completely sold out :(

Yeah, I was extremely lucky to have a friend who bought into it early on.  I'm usually not one to gush over Microsoft, but they knocked that one right out of the park there.  If you ever get a chance to play it, it's still more than relevant (the first 2, fuck the 3rd one).

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
DonFerrari said:

From time to time companies make really dumb decisions. Why not just have the 2 control schemes available? Because we want to show real support for kinect.

and about perma death, basically any arcadey game have used this feature.... They basically make you start from scratch...

maybe killing werewolfes with termite on steampowered weapon on vitorian London is revolutionary them even if each thing was done separately before it doesn''t nullifies it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
mornelithe said:

From time to time companies make really dumb decisions. Why not just have the 2 control schemes available? Because we want to show real support for kinect.

and about perma death, basically any arcadey game have used this feature.... They basically make you start from scratch...

maybe killing werewolfes with termite on steampowered weapon on vitorian London is revolutionary them even if each thing was done separately before it doesn''t nullifies it.

Except that's not how the perma death option works at all in Fire Emblem. In fact it's the opposite: you continue the story despite having potentially lost one of your favorite crew members. You get emotionally attached to the characters in a FE game the way no other game does. FE: A wasn't just the best srpg released in 2013, it was also the best dating sim of that year. ;)

Be honest: did you play the game? I doubt it.

DonFerrari said:
mornelithe said:

Nah, it was just a cash grab, and an attempt to force a very small group of people to buy into something.  The problem is, anyone who played Steel Battalion w/ the controller, knew how awesome it was, and knew how impossible it would be for Kinect to be any kind of capable replacement.  Which is all very true, regardless of Kinect's applications elsewhere (Which I think there are some great ones), that was not one of them, and they straight up ruined probably the best Mech game ever made, over it.

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

Except that's not how the perma death option works at all in Fire Emblem. In fact it's the opposite: you continue the story despite having potentially lost one of your favorite crew members. You get emotionally attached to the characters in a FE game the way no other game does. FE: A wasn't just the best srpg released in 2013, it was also the best dating sim of that year. ;)

Be honest: did you play the game? I doubt it.

You don't say... I know how it works and as explained already it was already done like 3 decades ago on Ultima. In 2 player arcade games if your partner died you could still keep playing while losing it... the point was that permadeath isn't anything new, the use could be (but isn't as well). That is why discussing how much a games inovates is dumb because everything have been done before one way or another, maybe the combination will change, but the base is pretty much the same with VERY FEW inovations.... it is like bashing a book because it isn't inovating, most of books would be drawing elements that exist since Eneida.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

mornelithe said:
DonFerrari said:

Nah, it was just a cash grab, and an attempt to force a very small group of people to buy into something.  The problem is, anyone who played Steel Battalion w/ the controller, knew how awesome it was, and knew how impossible it would be for Kinect to be any kind of capable replacement.  Which is all very true, regardless of Kinect's applications elsewhere (Which I think there are some great ones), that was not one of them, and they straight up ruined probably the best Mech game ever made, over it.

Agree 100%, but we have gone really off-topic =]

Back to the point. I think than more than undeserved hate on Sony I get more incomodated by the unbased praise for Nintendo from reviewers... I know it is opinion and tastes but I can hardly justify their inflated metacritics as I'm certain that if it was the same game but made by MS or Sony it would lose 20 points automatically.