By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What I want to see from Ready at Dawn.

I just hope that they take criticisms to hear and use those to drive creativity and not just ignore them. That would be poor form for any artist.

To be more specific than before, I would like to see them keep the cinematic presentation but push the game in a way that would distinguish such a story from movies and television. The most obvious potential for cinematic games like this is in branching paths, which only video games can do effectively, and which also would add replayability without sacrificing the cinematic look. I see people saying "I'm glad it's a linear cinematic game and not an open world game with no story" or stuff along those lines, but that's a false polarization. There's a wealth of options in between those two that allow a game to provide a unique form of gratification.

Around the Network
the_real_dsister44 said:
What Ready at Dawn needs to do is for the moment at lest move away from Sony. A relationship of their kind with any of the console manufacturers is kind of deadly these days. They need to go out on their own and develop a few IPs that they can own in house. That will protect them if hey were to release a flop or two in the future. Allowing them to jump on a game they can make and find a publishing partner fast. Otherwise they might end up like Factor 5 or Sillicon Knights(?} who after one high profile flop they had trouble finding more work and then ended up folding

Why?

Sony funds everything they do.  They also had troubles finding work/funds and almost disbanded in 2008 before establishing an even closer relationship with Sony. Apperently trying to get publishing/deals was nearly impossible without Sony helping. the Wii port of Okami was all they could find. Why bite the hand that feeds you?

I certainly don't hope Sony buys them. Not because they aren't talented or because of The Order's mixed reception, but because I don't see the need for them to. I really doubt they'll start developing games for another console maker, especially since they're so closely tied to Playstation.

As for what they do next? I hope they make a sequel to The Order. Learn from their recent experiences and criticism and make a better sequel.

Protendo said:
the_real_dsister44 said:
What Ready at Dawn needs to do is for the moment at lest move away from Sony. A relationship of their kind with any of the console manufacturers is kind of deadly these days. They need to go out on their own and develop a few IPs that they can own in house. That will protect them if hey were to release a flop or two in the future. Allowing them to jump on a game they can make and find a publishing partner fast. Otherwise they might end up like Factor 5 or Sillicon Knights(?} who after one high profile flop they had trouble finding more work and then ended up folding

Why?

Sony funds everything they do.  They also had troubles finding work/funds and almost disbanded in 2008 before establishing an even closer relationship with Sony. Apperently trying to get publishing/deals was nearly impossible without Sony helping. the Wii port of Okami was all they could find. Why bite the hand that feeds you?

eh? How is it biting the hands that feed you? It is hard to find a publishing deal if you don't have your own IPs... You are just reaffirming what I said. Look at other notable studios that teamed up wtih Sony last gen, released a flop, then folded 

Factor 5 
Free Radical
And to a point Sillicon Knights. Though their hardship could be traced more directly to legal troubles with Epic 

They deserve another shot at their own AAA. The Order is going great for me so far, but I can see some of the criticism being made to it. While I have no problem with the amount of interruptions from gameplay and QTEs, the gun fights are a bit lacking in tension. They have presentation, atmosphere and a interesting plot down, they just need to work on the gameplay side of things.

I think the Order will do well enough that Sony will give them another shot, but they might not be first party material just yet.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Sadly I'm not so sure Sony will be interested in them now that the game received such luke-warm reviews.

Disagree entirely. I want them to make a new game or a follow up to the order. No doubt a lot of the order's Dev time was getting the tech right. Now that they've got that and are familiar with working from scratch as a team, I want to see them take their criticism and improve. The only way I would approve of them working on someone else's established franchise is if that was actually what the studio wanted to do and not just what their publisher is willing to support.

4 ≈ One

I would like to see them make a sequel to The Order.

I just finished it last night and had a great time the whole way through, but it felt more like the first part of a trilogy, where everything was beginning to get exciting before the curtains fell and it was over.

I want to know what happens now going forward. Hopefully they took so long to make this game because they were getting parts of the 2nd game well underway, that way the length between games is minimal.

I will definitely be getting the 2nd game on Day 1 if they decide to continue with the franchise.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

the_real_dsister44 said:
Protendo said:

Why?

eh? How is it biting the hands that feed you? It is hard to find a publishing deal if you don't have your own IPs... You are just reaffirming what I said. Look at other notable studios that teamed up wtih Sony last gen, released a flop, then folded 

Factor 5 
Free Radical
And to a point Sillicon Knights. Though their hardship could be traced more directly to legal troubles with Epic 

You are comparing developers that were not close to Sony? Your examples are laughable.

Factor 5 downfall:

Just look at the list:
Sony Platform 2007: Untitled project for Sony Computer Entertainment (cancelled) - rumorred to be worse than lairs.
Multiplatform: 2008: Superman Multi platform (cancelled) 
Nintendo Platform 2008: Kid Icarus game (cancelled) - Nintendo Dissapointed
Nintendo Platform 2009: Untitles flight project (rumored pilots wing) - Cancelled by Nintendo
Multi Plat: Rogue Leaders (Complete but unreleased because of quality)

Looks like they were a lot closer to Nintendo but never as close as Ready to Dawn is. to Sony

Let's discuss Free Radical aquired by Crytek UK in 2009, never working closesly with Sony.  Failed due to Crytek Financial blunders. Games were not published by Sony, all games were multiplatform (Haze was cancelled on Microsoft platforms but was made). How did they fail because they were close to Sony?

We all know what happened to Silicon Knights.

Port the Order 1886 to PC, allow 16:9 resolution and you've fixed one problem of the game. Double down on their idea to improve it.