By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What I want to see from Ready at Dawn.

I want Ready at Down to make something based in the future. Cross between Total Recall and Deux Ex.

Around the Network

I'm just crossing my fingers that we don't get a story of job cuts in the next few weeks

I haven't played the game yet and unfortunately it hasn't convinced me to pay full price

Daxter is one of my favorite PSP games, so I'd love to see them doing another 3D platformer. Either on an already existing franchise (Crash...?) or a brand new ip on their own.

Haven't played The Order, but looks like it has potential, and it's their first AAA game. They have talent, they just need better guidance/support and better PR as well. Hope they have another shot, and that it works much better than The Order. The game seems to be seliing well, so we'll see...

Protendo said:

You are comparing developers that were not close to Sony? Your examples are laughable.

Factor 5 downfall:

Just look at the list:
Sony Platform 2007: Untitled project for Sony Computer Entertainment (cancelled) - rumorred to be worse than lairs.
Multiplatform: 2008: Superman Multi platform (cancelled) 
Nintendo Platform 2008: Kid Icarus game (cancelled) - Nintendo Dissapointed
Nintendo Platform 2009: Untitles flight project (rumored pilots wing) - Cancelled by Nintendo
Multi Plat: Rogue Leaders (Complete but unreleased because of quality)

Looks like they were a lot closer to Nintendo but never as close as Ready to Dawn is. to Sony

Let's discuss Free Radical aquired by Crytek UK in 2009, never working closesly with Sony.  Failed due to Crytek Financial blunders. Games were not published by Sony, all games were multiplatform (Haze was cancelled on Microsoft platforms but was made). How did they fail because they were close to Sony?

We all know what happened to Silicon Knights.

I never said those studios were close to Sony? =/

The companies I listed are relevant for a few reasons. Factor 5 was the same in the regard that they mostly focus on licensing games. They stuck mostly with Lucasart working with the Star Wars license. They then chose to make a game an exclusive. The game didn't end up that good. They then had none of their own IP to fall back on. The license work from Lucasart dried up and there was no reason for another studio to pick them up. Thy folded soon after 

Free Radical on the other hand did something similar but the circumstances are different. They decided to make an exclusive game Haze. the game turned out to be a generic shooter.  The license work they were doing dried up with Lucasart getting shy about game development. And they had a hard time finding a publisher possibly do to the unfortunate circumstances with Haze. They on the oher hand had a few IPs that they owned the rights to that were worth a little something so they were able to be picked up in the end. 

Ready at Dawn fits the first category way more than the second. They have done almost 100% licensing work where they don't own the IP. The one exception is the Order which didn't turn out well and was published by Sony(So Sony probably has the rights). If the Order sells poorly they might find that other publishers would rather take their work to other devs. Then Ready at Dawn will be a studio with no original IPs and no value to anyone. I'm not attacking Sony... This isn'texclusive to them. These are just the two examples that I could think of off the top of my head

Sillicon Knights was a terrible example. It was my mistake for menioning them. SK owns most of the ips they worked on. They didn't fold due to lack of work. They had ongoing litigation with Epic Games due to the Unreal Engine. in 2012 Dyack left Sillicon Knights with several of the core members and formed Precurosr Games. They then watched from abroad as SK was taken down due to lawsuits... To put it in perspective after the exodus of employees to Precursor there were 5 people left working at SK when it went out of business

Free Radical on the other hand did something similar but the circumstances are different. They decided to make an exclusive game Haze. the game turned out to be a generic shooter.  

All of them come off as comparing apples to oranges on my end. Haze was always suppose to be a multiplatfor title. It was always scheduled to be released on the Xbox 360 and PC, the problem is they were so far behind in developement the publisher, Ubisoft, took a "bribe" from Sony to make Haze a timed exclusive. The only reason Haze become a true exclusive was because the game flopped.

Factor 5 Is a really odd one because they were known also known for their highly successful middleware, which generated huge profits from lisencing fees. MusyX was an extremely profitable middleware used for the GBC, N64, GC, GBC, GBA, and their DivX development was highly saught after for Gamecube titles. After Crytek bought the company, it seems like they were forced to stop making profitable midware. Something that perlexes me to this day.

Around the Network

They want to make movies not games.

Protendo said:

Free Radical on the other hand did something similar but the circumstances are different. They decided to make an exclusive game Haze. the game turned out to be a generic shooter.  

All of them come off as comparing apples to oranges on my end. Haze was always suppose to be a multiplatfor title. It was always scheduled to be released on the Xbox 360 and PC, the problem is they were so far behind in developement the publisher, Ubisoft, took a "bribe" from Sony to make Haze a timed exclusive. The only reason Haze become a true exclusive was because the game flopped.

Factor 5 Is a really odd one because they were known also known for their highly successful middleware, which generated huge profits from lisencing fees. MusyX was an extremely profitable middleware used for the GBC, N64, GC, GBC, GBA, and their DivX development was highly saught after for Gamecube titles. After Crytek bought the company, it seems like they were forced to stop making profitable midware. Something that perlexes me to this day.

Ok. That changes nothing about my post. I'll be sure to note it next time I am talking about Haze I guess. Thanks

Lucasart scaled back massively on their game releases. Factor 5 didn't have a good track record with "next gen" games. Lair was meh. 

If they can develop a game with the graphics of the order 1886 and the gameplay substance of a zelda game, count me in!

I think the Order has massive potential, i would like to see a sequel but focus a lot more on the gameplay.