By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Nintendo game prices never fall?

Nintendo actively work to prevent their retail partners from lowering game prices so as to retain IP value. Essentially, they use their power to manipulate the normal market behaviour.

Around the Network

One of the many reasons I've only bought like 4 games for my 3ds, 5 for wii, and over 200 for ps3 and over 100 for psvita. They have every right to keep the price as high as they want, but I refuse to pay it.

Why do they do it? It's exactly what Pokoko said. Because they can. With Wiiu the consumer doesn't have that many options and bought the console for Ninty games anyway. Before that, they were dominating and were getting a whole lot of sales from casuals, hence mario kart wii selling over 30m and the wiiu version not having sold even 5m (its numbers are still impressive considering the installbase, but show that the core fanbase is not nearly as big as some people thought).

As for the people saying because of quality or because they keep selling, they need to try to think without bias for a second. Obviously both gamers and reviewers thought that Uncharted 2 was a quality title and it sold very well, but the game got several price cuts. A whole lot of Ninty games that don't sell well at all don't get any price cuts. And the ones that are out of print, they are for a reason, i.e. the game doesn't sell well enough to justify more copies being made. Quality and sales have little to do with it. Sales had in the past (Mario Kart and Smash kept selling for years), but not any more.

Maybe it's working for Ninty, maybe, in the long term, it's not. Had I found a Zelda game at a reasonable price and bought it, I could have been introduced to the series and become a fan. I could have bought the rest of available zelda games and even a wiiu for the wiiu zelda game. Because it was so expensive, I gave up. Is it really a good idea for Ninty to keep the prices so high? Maybe, maybe not. I, personally don't think so. I became a fan of the Elder Scrolls after buying Skyrim on steam for like 2 quid. I think it's part of the reason Steam became so successful or that people choose ps4 over other consoles. There are tons of deals that make gaming feel/appear to be cheaper.

Lawlight said:
I think it's a mixture of 2 things. One is that there aren't a lot of other publishers to compete with on the system.

Secondly, Nintendo aren't really very flexible when it comes to price. For example, the WiiU is selling poorly and they still haven't dropped the price.

it's different for hardware than for games though. Nintendo doesn't drop the price of the WiiU, because they don't want to eat big losses for a shortlived boost. Same for Sony and Vita. The 3DS on the other hand dropped price early on.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

So people are saying that it's good business practice, which makes sense. HQ series entries that don't appear annually; I can see those not needing to decrease much in price, even after a year. However... what if it really isn't that complicated, and NoA simply hasn't touched the MSRP of those games for no particular reason. Maybe it would be illogical to think that because Nintendo is a business with policies, but there are many questionable things they've done and haven't done, and maybe this wouldn't stray too far off from the norm...

Because Nintendo games are damn cool!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Because the games keep selling. 

They do not lol. How many copies of Tropical Freeze sold last week? The reason they stay at full prices is because Nintendo wants to make money, period. Nothing wrong with that, as they are great games. But there really isn't anything more to it.

Corporate greed from Nintendo

I want to say because they're greedy bitches trying to make as much money as possible, but then then purposely make short supply on demanding Amiibos so that means that they're really not trying to make alot of money and rather have 2nd hand sellers make a killing.

...so to answer the question...they're just stupid.

Because their games are great :)

mZuzek said:
Because the games keep selling. I mean, if someone wants to buy a Wii U right now and wants to play Zelda and Donkey Kong, they'll buy The Wind Waker HD and Tropical Freeze. That's why Nintendo games have legs and why their prices don't fall.

If someone buys a PS4/Xbone today and wants to play Call of Duty, they'll get Advanced Warfare, because there is absolutely no reason to get Ghosts, so naturally the older game's price is much cheaper.

Partly true but not totally true, explain games like Uncharted then. A lot of it is the fact that Nintendo is just extremely hardheaded