By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Nintendo game prices never fall?

Mystro-Sama said:

Well... That's because Japan gets everything. >.<

read ze edit.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
First off, there are Nintendo games that move to bargain bin prices, so it's not always true that they maintain their price.

The reason why Nintendo doesn't slash prices is because they have to protect their business. If they conditioned consumers to expect price drops after a few months, then that would have a negative impact on their business in the long run due to decreased profit margins. The Wii U being in a bad position doesn't justify throwing this line of thinking over board, because once you've started slashing prices, it's hard to go back.

For consumers, the negative thing is that they can't buy up Nintendo software at dumpster prices, but the positive thing (at least for gamers who tend to buy games early) is that there's no fear that the game that was just bought could be had for only half the price only a month later.

This is basically what I wanted to say.  I even made a parody thread about this once (I'm sure some people remember it).  

Also, if no one was paying attention, Nintendo has actually been doing price cuts on the eShop.

RolStoppable said:
For consumers, the negative thing is that they can't buy up Nintendo software at dumpster prices, but the positive thing (at least for gamers who tend to buy games early) is that there's no fear that the game that was just bought could be had for only half the price only a month later.

This basically describes how I buy games.  For the PS and Xbox consoles I rarely buy a game day 1, unless I'm really hyped for it, because I know if I'm patient I'll pay half or even less for it, but it doesn't matter when I buy a Nintendo game because I'll probably pay the same, best case scenario I save $10.  Recent example Future Shop had a deal buy 2 3DS games and save $10, so I ended up buying 4 3DS games because I know as far as a sale on Nintendo games that's the best its gonna get.

RolStoppable said:
First off, there are Nintendo games that move to bargain bin prices, so it's not always true that they maintain their price.

The reason why Nintendo doesn't slash prices is because they have to protect their business. If they conditioned consumers to expect price drops after a few months, then that would have a negative impact on their business in the long run due to decreased profit margins. The Wii U being in a bad position doesn't justify throwing this line of thinking over board, because once you've started slashing prices, it's hard to go back.

Everyone selling trough retail would want their retail price to stay high. The question is how Nintendo physically manages this: Is it trough supply constraint? a very active sales presence? trough massive advertising campaigns. 

Apple has the same way of keeping up their perceived value, but they really have all of the above mentioned strategies, Nintendo - not so much.

I think it's a mixture of 2 things. One is that there aren't a lot of other publishers to compete with on the system.

Secondly, Nintendo aren't really very flexible when it comes to price. For example, the WiiU is selling poorly and they still haven't dropped the price.

Around the Network
baloofarsan said:
RolStoppable said:

Everyone selling trough retail would want their retail price to stay high. The question is how Nintendo physically manages this: Is it trough supply constraint? a very active sales presence? trough massive advertising campaigns. 

Apple has the same way of keeping up their perceived value, but they really have all of the above mentioned strategies, Nintendo - not so much.

Not really, keeping the price high means your gonna get your money back over a longer period of time, lowering the price means you get money back quickly.  Companies that can afford to wait delay their price drops, companies that want money quickly or need it to fund future projects drop the price faster.

There's also the factor of whether your game will still be able to sell at $60 after its considered "old."  Nintendo games don't have that problem because they are the reason people buy a Nintendo console.  There's so many new releases and competition on the PS and Xbox that if a game is still $60 after a few years almost no one is gonna buy it because its online may be dead or the newer games are more enticing.  Ofc there are games that just keep selling at $60, like GTAV, and can stay at that price for a while.

Honestly, this is about as simple a question as you can get. Why does Nintendo continue to sell games at full price? Because they can.

If you own a Nintendo system, what are you going to do? What are your alternatives? You're going to take what Nintendo gives you and you're going to like it. It's not like there is a vast array of choices on Nintendo systems. This is especially true if you're a big fan of the cutesy style reflected in many Nintendo games, as not a lot of other studios work in that direction. You'll simply have to drop trow and accept the pounding.

This is kind of an extension of the business philosophy they had during the NES era, when they would purposefully reduce shipment size in order to spread sales out over the year and to keep their own games selling at full price while keeping third-party games down. When you manufacture all the games that appear on your system, you can manipulate the situation as you like. It was brutal but also ingenious.

As people have said, if the consumer is willing to buy it at that price they will sell it at that price. But in the past years ive noticed a few Ninty games drop in price and im talking physical. YOu can get Paper Mario SS for under 20 new, Mario Party is 30, Mario Golf WT is like 17. Pilot WIngs is 15, Kirby MA 15. I think with these maybe there were too many copies produced and they didnt sell what Ninty expected, because there are some games that are selling for crazy prices, more than their original. Like Pikmin 3 and OOT 3d

Lawlight said:
I think it's a mixture of 2 things. One is that there aren't a lot of other publishers to compete with on the system.

Secondly, Nintendo aren't really very flexible when it comes to price. For example, the WiiU is selling poorly and they still haven't dropped the price.

Your first point makes little sense, since if that were true, other 3rd party games on Nintendo systems should follow suit.  It also doesn't make much sense since it wouldn't matter what other publishers do anyway.  

For the second point, the sales boost they would see from cutting the price would likely not result in increased profits for Nintendo.  While sales numbers may look good to some people, if they aren't making more money that way then why should they do it?  The more likely reason is that people will buy the games anyway, even if they don't drop in price.  If they drop the price, they wont suddenly see a 20-50% increase in weekly sales.  The way they do it now means more profits... at least for the games they DON'T drop.  However, it's been pointed out plenty of times already that Nintendo DOES cut the price of some of their games.

Because they know people keep buying their games even at full price so why would they reduce the profit they make by lowering the price.