By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Three Muslim students killed at North Carolina campus

deskpro2k3 said:

Look folks, these are not acts of terrorism, these are hate crimes, and I think the media is partially to blame for this, because seriously 3 headshots over a parking dispute is bull.

The media sucks and is intellectually lazy, sure, but I think you're drawing conclusions that the facts don't support. Maybe if this guy's Facebook page had Fox News and American Sniper all over it I'd see a possible connection, but it doesn't. He is a vehement, almost paranoid, atheist who seemed to rant a lot about how religion was "disrespecting" him for his atheism and so it was his duty to disrespect religion. Very possibly he was just an angry and frustrated guy in general and anything could have sent the fat bastard over the edge.

It's definitely conspicuous that when he did go off, it was on people who were observantly religious. However, even if that played a role (and there is no way to know if it did) there is no reason as yet to conclude that he had a special animus toward Muslims in particular and wouldn't have done the same to a woman who wore a big gold cross around her neck and had an icthys on her car.

Around the Network

If you want the truth on why these murders are just being reported on, instead of becoming a media storm, the answer is simple. The shooter turned out to be a lib (and an atheist to boot.) If they had researched his Facebook page and seen he was a NRA card carrying Tea Party member, you can bet your ass they would be foaming at the mouth to create a storm, saying something must be done about the "racist, violent" right. "Oh, he's a lib? Nevermind, isolated incident." Which it would be, either way.

I was kind of surprised to see no reports of this over here in Finland.

thismeintiel said:
If you want the truth on why these murders are just being reported on, instead of becoming a media storm, the answer is simple. The shooter turned out to be a lib (and an atheist to boot.) If they had researched his Facebook page and seen he was a NRA card carrying Tea Party member, you can bet your ass they would be foaming at the mouth to create a storm, saying something must be done about the "racist, violent" right. "Oh, he's a lib? Nevermind, isolated incident." Which it would be, either way.

It's true that if it doesn't fit an established pattern in the minds of the media it tends to get waved away. I don't expect the overwhelmingly liberal and secularist media to spend a lot of time fretting over whether or not this is an example of atheist fundamentalism.

If I hold the same beliefs as you and you do something bad, you're just one crazy person. But if you hold opposing beliefs, I'll gladly conclude that your stupid beliefs made you do it.

Lawlight said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

The man's motives for killing them are irrelevant and subjective. The real debate is the reason this story wasn't covered by the mainstream.

How many murders are covered my the mainstream media in the US? There are on average 38 murders per day in the US. Where are the others?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
The Fury said:

As to my question early in the thread, so nicely answered by many people. Murder in the UK makes the news mostly, if it was by gun, it most certainly will. Yet we have a far lower homercide number (and rate) than the US. The man's motives do matter in the case of news coverage however, a crime of passion murder is probably less likely to make the news than a man killing someone people because of their faith.

I mispoke. I meant "What the media considered the man's motives to be and not what they actually were". We aren't talking about facts here we're talking about sensationalism. Because as far as the US news media is concerned, a crime of passion murder and killing someone because of their faith are basically interchangable, facts be damned.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
badgenome said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Look folks, these are not acts of terrorism, these are hate crimes, and I think the media is partially to blame for this, because seriously 3 headshots over a parking dispute is bull.

The media sucks and is intellectually lazy, sure, but I think you're drawing conclusions that the facts don't support. Maybe if this guy's Facebook page had Fox News and American Sniper all over it I'd see a possible connection, but it doesn't. He is a vehement, almost paranoid, atheist who seemed to rant a lot about how religion was "disrespecting" him for his atheism and so it was his duty to disrespect religion. Very possibly he was just an angry and frustrated guy in general and anything could have sent the fat bastard over the edge.

It's definitely conspicuous that when he did go off, it was on people who were observantly religious. However, even if that played a role (and there is no way to know if it did) there is no reason as yet to conclude that he had a special animus toward Muslims in particular and wouldn't have done the same to a woman who wore a big gold cross around her neck and had an icthys on her car.

http://abc11.com/news/community-mourns-3-college-students-shot-to-death/512086/
The three of them were shot in the head in a "very small space - no struggle, no defense." the police said. That's execution.

I don't know man, does it have to be religous or about race to be a hate crime? Parking space rage hate crime might be a thing now.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

http://abc11.com/news/community-mourns-3-college-students-shot-to-death/512086/
The three of them were shot in the head in a "very small space - no struggle, no defense." the police said. That's execution.

I don't know man. Does it have to be religous to be a hate crime? Parking space rage hate crime might be a thing now.

It's hardly unheard of. Usually it happens in a parking lot somewhere, but when it's a dispute between neighbors it can look something like this. Chasing someone down and shooting him at close range is also execution, but they're both black and it can't be used as a political football, so no one cares.

Of course not.the US only cares about dogs,white people and Christians (white). A person get's more time for killing a dog while murderous cops get off for killing unarmed blacks.This country was built on the backs of slaves for white Christians,not anyone else.

badgenome said:
padib said:

There was nothing in Charlie Hebdo which was of interest to any of us but to stir our anti-islamist emotions, and to top it off it was a fabrication by an occult group to promote Zionism.

This case is much more honest, 3 innocent youths killed and no trace of the murderer. That's news!

This is hands down the battiest thing I've ever read on this forum. 18 people dead, 22 injured, protracted standoffs and hostage situations and manhunts, and it's not of any real interest. (Oh, and by the way, it was all teh conspiracy!)

It's already hard to believe that this is really what he thinks but maybe we should also add to all the logical reason why the Charlie Hebdo thing which took I believe around three full days (what a surprise that it was for some days in the media) that it should be also obvious that journalists report more about an attack on other "journalists" when this is an religious motivated attack which shows journalists around the world that it could also happen to them if they use their freedom of speech to the degree that some crazy guys could kill them for that.

Yes, I can fully understand that journalists around the world feel a little bit personal about this realizing what can happen if they do something in the newspapers or in front of a cam which coud make some crazy boys very angry. 

This was also obviously an terroristic act as much as I understand this term correctly after reading little bit about it, also no idea why some in this thread complain that this was called an terroristc attack and the other not. 

Its funny...I've been complaining for years about how the media sensationalizes tragedy for views (see Sandy Hook and Malaysia Airlines and much more), and when they finally start covering these tragedies the correct way, it seems to be for all of the wrong reasons. Not sure how I should feel...