Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey kong tropical freeze hits 1 million

flop or not

amazing sales 50 14.97%

good sales 245 73.35%

flop 30 8.98%

donkey who? 9 2.69%

Total:334
SjOne said:

It's still disappointing that it took a year for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises to sell past one million. Just goes to show games that don't feature Mario or Zelda have a tough time selling on the Wii U no matter how high the quality is

Exactly my feelings.

Around the Network

Great to see! Definitely one of my favorite Wii U games so far. Would like to see Retro take another go at DKC, but only after releasing Metroid/a new IP first.

It's good, adding digital sells is a little better.

I know... my English sucks.

SjOne said:
Locknuts said:

I'm sure that was Nintendo's thinking. Easy money. They're wrong though IMO. The Wii U market is drastically different to the Wii.

Not as different as you may think. You really think that Metroid would've stood a better chance? Metroid has never been a big seller. Donkey Kong Country on the other hand always does well on whatever Ninteno platform it's released on.

Until now...

It probably did a while ago with digital, but yeah I noticed. It's very well deserving of this so yay to DK!

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network

IIRC Metroid Prime 3 didnt sell much more on the Wii

freebs2 said:
SjOne said:

Metroid Fusion was a game made specifically for the GBA, and it sold less than the remake of the original Donkey Kong Country.

On any platform with Donkey Kong Country and Metroid, the former will always sell more.

So, why DK Jungle Beat on GC hasn't sold more than Metroid on GC ? GBA was another popular console, it had kids and Nintendo fans. Donkey is an IP that caters Nintendo fans and kids, Metorid caters N fans and core gamers. Normally DK sells more becuase Nintendo target kids, so when their consoles are successfull you'll have a lot of kids in their userbease. On the other hand, when their consoles are a commercail failure (like GC or WiiU) you'll have exclusively nintendo fans and a bunch of multi consoles owners on board. With these conditions there's not a big difference between games targeted to kids or to core gamers, quality is what matters the most.

Also MPT is massively outselling DKCR on the Wii U VC. See my thread.

SjOne said:
Locknuts said:

I'm sure that was Nintendo's thinking. Easy money. They're wrong though IMO. The Wii U market is drastically different to the Wii.

Not as different as you may think. You really think that Metroid would've stood a better chance? Metroid has never been a big seller. Donkey Kong Country on the other hand always does well on whatever Ninteno platform it's released on.

I don't think its as simple as you make out, I think Metroid would have been a better investment personally.

Donkey Kong is obviously the bigger name but that doesn't mean it has as concrete a market as metroid. The fact that it went from selling 5-6m to selling 1m, shows that its sales are highly reflective of userbase. Its an easy purchase for people who have a Nintendo system. A HD metroid would more likely brought its fanbase to the Wii U, I don't think DK done that and it released without having much of a splash on Wii U's hardware. Especially in the early days of a systems life I say it would have made more sense to release Metroid and then launching DK at the end of the Wii U's life.

Given the series history, taking a year to break 1m is not impressive regardless of the size of Wii U's userbase. Back to the OP its of course a successful endevour though, I doubt the game had a huge budget

freebs2 said:
SjOne said:

Metroid Fusion was a game made specifically for the GBA, and it sold less than the remake of the original Donkey Kong Country.

On any platform with Donkey Kong Country and Metroid, the former will always sell more.

So, why DK Jungle Beat on GC hasn't sold more than Metroid on GC ? GBA was another popular console, it had kids and Nintendo fans. Donkey is an IP that caters Nintendo fans and kids, Metorid caters N fans and core gamers. Normally DK sells more becuase Nintendo target kids, so when their consoles are successfull you'll have a lot of kids in their userbease. On the other hand, when their consoles are a commercail failure (like GC or WiiU) you'll have exclusively nintendo fans and a bunch of multi consoles owners on board. With these conditions there's not a big difference between games targeted to kids or to core gamers, quality is what matters the most.

Simple, because Jungle Beat isn't a true Donkey Kong Country and it required a separate accessory to get full experience.

Thats a sweeping generalization. Just as many older audiences bought the GBA. Nothing excuses Metroid for being the overall lesser franchise

Locknuts said:
SjOne said:

Until now...

Metroid would've taken 3 years or more to reach 1 million