flop or not

amazing sales 50 14.97%

good sales 245 73.35%

flop 30 8.98%

donkey who? 9 2.69%

Total:334
Samus Aran said:
SjOne said:

Of course MPT is selling well digitally. The original collection had limited print and not everyone wants to pay the outrageous prices on eBay to play it. When the game got released for $10 its no wonder that people would jump on that offer. You can find the other rereleases Wii games on discount at many retail stores, so there would be as big a demand to get them digitally.

Still doesn't mean that the franchise will sell better than the rest

DKC: R 3D costs €45 in my country. DKC: R was also €10 for one week. Most stores here don't have the Wii games in store anymore.

Have you checked any online stores? The point is that game is easier to get a hold of than MPT was in the past

The remake Metroid: Zero Mission sold less than the remakes of DKC2 and DKC3, even more proof

Around the Network

Congrats to Retro and Nintendo, well deserved sales.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Good sales numbers

it deverved to sell better than returns.
is better than returns in every aspect, imo.

but ok, the world is not fair. is so, xenoblade would sell better than last FF entries.

One of my all time favorite franchises. I dont think Retro did as well as Rare but they still did a really good job so im really glad this did well. Now lets listen to Aquatic Ambience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHMmoSX3hhM

Around the Network

SjOne said:

it taking a year to cross 1 million is reflective of the Wii U audiences buying habits more than anything else. Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed didn't sell well on it, doesn't that mean people aren't interested in those franchises? Look at the games that don't feature Zelda and Mario and see how poor the software in general sells on the console. Metroid really doesn't have a chance of doing any better. Its a niche franchise on a niche console.

But wait... DK sells on par with Zelda (your 6m reference), so applying your logic zelda should struggle to pass 2m on Wii U? Of course not because it has a more dedicated fanbase who will find the game regardless of its platform.  

I think you've done well to illustrate my point. Again a game which sells 6m, should never struggle this hard to break 1m unless it lacks a dedicated fanbase. Comparably far more "niche" franchises (pikmin 3, Beyonetta 2) are fairing a lot better considering their sales history has never even approached Dk's yet they're sitting at 900k, and 700k and one of the Ips doesn't even have a history with Nintendo. Both will pass 1m this year.

I'm not interesting in stating Metroid would have sold better because non of us know that (although I believe it would for many reasons), but the logic you're applying here slightly ignorant of overall context. (IMO)

Wow, I didn't think it would happen this quickly.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

its a great game, better than Returns which i really like, but lets be honest with ourselves i dont think anyone expected much better its tied to a system that just isnt doing so hot, Hell maybe they will do a port for N3DS that extra power can give it some sheen

You guys are delusional. 1m after a year for such a big franchise is piss poor. Awesome game though, In fact I'm playing it right now.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

ghettoglamour said:
You guys are delusional. 1m after a year for such a big franchise is piss poor. Awesome game though, In fact I'm playing it right now.

DKC (SNES) - 9.3 million

DKC2 (SNES) - 5.15 million

DKC3 (SNES) - 3.51 million

DKC Returns (Wii) - 6.51 million

DKC: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) - 1 million

Yeah, probably not something to throw a party about. My guess is DKC: TF will be one of the first Wii U games ported to the next Nintendo handheld, Nintendo knows they probably missed out on a lot of DKC TF sales due to the Wii U being such a dud, they will double dip on this one to get a better return.