flop or not

amazing sales 50 14.97%

good sales 245 73.35%

flop 30 8.98%

donkey who? 9 2.69%

Total:334
SjOne said:
Locknuts said:
Metroid would have sold faster. Just sayin.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 1.78 million

Donkey Kong Country Returns - 6.33 million

Retro Studios made the right call on which series to support

I'm sure that was Nintendo's thinking. Easy money. They're wrong though IMO. The Wii U market is drastically different to the Wii.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I think VGC might be overtracking (as they tend to do with a lot of Nintendo stuff). Nintendo lists all million sellers in their financial statements, so if DKC: TF has sold through 1+ million it obviously should be past 1 million shipped and should be listed as such on the next Nintendo financial briefing. If it's not there, then this is another overtrack. 

No Nintendo in the most recent financial statement listed games that have shipped 1 million just this fiscal year, Tropical Freeze released last fiscal year so the 1 million would be last year+this year.

Nintendo won't update their full list of million sellers until the end of the this fiscal year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Thats great. I really hope we keep getting new installments.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

SjOne said:

It's still disappointing that it took a year for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises to sell past one million. Just goes to show games that don't feature Mario or Zelda have a tough time selling on the Wii U no matter how high the quality is

Donkey Kong sells well.  Nintendo just needs an install base that's higher.  No doubt this game will sell several millions by the time it is done. A great game can always be re-released later on the next hanheld and/or console.

Soundwave said:

I think VGC might be overtracking (as they tend to do with a lot of Nintendo stuff). Nintendo lists all million sellers in their financial statements, so if DKC: TF has sold through 1+ million it obviously should be past 1 million shipped and should be listed as such on the next Nintendo financial briefing. If it's not there, then this is another overtrack. 

TF was released in the FY2014 , not FY2015 . So no, it's not overtracked. NPD revealed in December (if I remember correctly) that vgchartz even had it a tad bit undertracked. 

edit: Beaten lol.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
Locknuts said:
SjOne said:

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 1.78 million

Donkey Kong Country Returns - 6.33 million

Retro Studios made the right call on which series to support

I'm sure that was Nintendo's thinking. Easy money. They're wrong though IMO. The Wii U market is drastically different to the Wii.

Not as different as you may think. You really think that Metroid would've stood a better chance? Metroid has never been a big seller. Donkey Kong Country on the other hand always does well on whatever Ninteno platform it's released on.

Super game, one of the best platformers out there.

I think it can leg it out to 2 million lifetime, then add another 2 million when it gets ported to Nintendo's next handheld so about 4 million lifetime.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Congrats Retro! So does it mean that it's more than 1M when counting digital sales?

SjOne said:
Locknuts said:

Not as different as you may think. You really think that Metroid would've stood a better chance? Metroid has never been a big seller. Donkey Kong Country on the other hand always does well on whatever Ninteno platform it's released on.

The WiiU market is more similar to the former Gamecube market, Metroid Prime sold more than 2 million copies on GC (on 1/5 of the Wii userbase).