Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey kong tropical freeze hits 1 million

flop or not

amazing sales 50 14.97%

good sales 245 73.35%

flop 30 8.98%

donkey who? 9 2.69%

Total:334

Awesome!

DKC: TF is such an incredible game. I hope it remains available on store shelves for a very long time to come.

It'd be cool if Nintendo could team up with Ubisoft for Rayman Legend/DKC:TF double pack. That's really one of the best ways to start off owning a WiiU imo if you don't want to have anything to do with Mario.

I'd love to see some DLC for this game -- but it seems like a long shot now...

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
SjOne said:

Not as different as you may think. You really think that Metroid would've stood a better chance? Metroid has never been a big seller. Donkey Kong Country on the other hand always does well on whatever Ninteno platform it's released on.

The WiiU market is more similar to the former Gamecube market, Metroid Prime sold more than 2 million copies on GC (on 1/5 of the Wii userbase).

The trend still won't change 

Metroid Prime Hunters - 0.75 million

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 1.60 million

I eally don't see why things would be different on Wii U

Finally.

It's decent sales, not a flop, but disappointing still. The game probably made a profit with 1m sales, but for the Donkey Kong platforming series, you'd expect more. It's not done selling obviously, but before Tropical Freeze the worst selling DK platformer on home consoles was at around 3m. TF isn't reaching that, but I think it could sell up to a million more for the rest of the generation.

To think some people are disappointed with the graphics. Sales should be higher than NSMBU.

SjOne said:
freebs2 said:

The WiiU market is more similar to the former Gamecube market, Metroid Prime sold more than 2 million copies on GC (on 1/5 of the Wii userbase).

Would you like to compare sales of GTA Chinatown Wars to GTA V? Prime Hunters is a low budget spin-off plus a 3D Metroid is not suited fot an handled.

The thing is DS and Wii had a huge userbase, but most customers were famlies or kids. WiiU userbase is small but it's mostly composed of core gamers and Nintendo fans, that's why Bayonetta 2 has sold more than Wii Fit U (according to vgchartz). Metroid on WiiU would likely sell as much as on Wii, maybe even more since fans have been waiting for an HD Metroid for a long time.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

To think some people are disappointed with the graphics. Sales should be higher than NSMBU.

It looks stunning. The problem is DKCR for Wii was simply too good, Retro created a graphical style that was perfect for the Wii capabilities, it looked incredibily detailed and was almost as clean as an HD game. That's why a lot of people were disappointed imo. They've created very high expectations, but without changing drastically the art style, DKCTF simply couldn't look better.

freebs2 said:
SjOne said:

Would you like to compare sales of GTA Chinatown Wars to GTA V? Prime Hunters is a low budget spin-off plus a 3D Metroid is not suited fot an handled.

The thing is DS and Wii had a huge userbase, but most customers were famlies or kids. WiiU userbase is small but it's mostly composed of core gamers and Nintendo fans, that's why Bayonetta 2 has sold more than Wii Fit U (according to vgchartz). Metroid on WiiU would likely sell as much as on Wii, maybe even more since fans have been waiting for an HD Metroid for a long time.

Metroid Fusion was a game made specifically for the GBA, and it sold less than the remake of the original Donkey Kong Country.

On any platform with Donkey Kong Country and Metroid, the former will always sell more. Its been that way on SNES, GB, GBA, and it'd be that way on Wii U.

SjOne said:
freebs2 said:

Metroid Fusion was a game made specifically for the GBA, and it sold less than the remake of the original Donkey Kong Country.

On any platform with Donkey Kong Country and Metroid, the former will always sell more.

So, why DK Jungle Beat on GC hasn't sold more than Metroid on GC ? GBA was another popular console, it had kids and Nintendo fans. Donkey is an IP that caters Nintendo fans and kids, Metorid caters N fans and core gamers. Normally DK sells more becuase Nintendo target kids, so when their consoles are successfull you'll have a lot of kids in their userbease. On the other hand, when their consoles are a commercail failure (like GC or WiiU) you'll have exclusively nintendo fans and a bunch of multi consoles owners on board. With these conditions there's not a big difference between games targeted to kids or to core gamers, quality is what matters the most.

Good, without playing it I already know it deserves it. Out of all the Nintendo platforms DK always loks the most fun!

Where's that thread that said that it's gonna be Retro's worst selling game?
Oh wait, we're not allowed to bump that, are we? -_-