Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey kong tropical freeze hits 1 million

flop or not

amazing sales 50 14.97%

good sales 245 73.35%

flop 30 8.98%

donkey who? 9 2.69%

Total:334

Sexy legs.

If Nintendo did sales more often, it would be much more.

Around the Network
Nogamez said:

According to VGC dk tf is now finally at 1 million sales physical. I think this is a great success giving the size of the install base, mixed reviews(even though its a great game) however it is one of nintendos more well know IP'S. What you guys think success or flop?

It was released 21st feb so took 11 months

In my opinion, tropical freeze is my fave WIi U game so far, it deserves so much more 

Nogamez said:

According to VGC dk tf is now finally at 1 million sales physical. I think this is a great success giving the size of the install base, mixed reviews(even though its a great game) however it is one of nintendos more well know IP'S. What you guys think success or flop?

It was released 21st feb so took 11 months

I bought this, played a few levels, then shelved and never got back to it.  Same with a digital copy of Pikmin (which I got with MK)... 

Need to revisit it, seems like it has a number of good reviews.   I never have a backlog of games (usually sell them when I am done).  Need more time!

Samus Aran said:
freebs2 said:

So, why DK Jungle Beat on GC hasn't sold more than Metroid on GC ? GBA was another popular console, it had kids and Nintendo fans. Donkey is an IP that caters Nintendo fans and kids, Metorid caters N fans and core gamers. Normally DK sells more becuase Nintendo target kids, so when their consoles are successfull you'll have a lot of kids in their userbease. On the other hand, when their consoles are a commercail failure (like GC or WiiU) you'll have exclusively nintendo fans and a bunch of multi consoles owners on board. With these conditions there's not a big difference between games targeted to kids or to core gamers, quality is what matters the most.

Also MPT is massively outselling DKCR on the Wii U VC. See my thread.

You're surprised that a collection that was incredibly hard to get is selling more digitally than a game that is common to come by and even has a handheld port?

teigaga said:
SjOne said:

Not as different as you may think. You really think that Metroid would've stood a better chance? Metroid has never been a big seller. Donkey Kong Country on the other hand always does well on whatever Ninteno platform it's released on.

I don't think its as simple as you make out, I think Metroid would have been a better investment personally.

Donkey Kong is obviously the bigger name but that doesn't mean it has as concrete a market as metroid. The fact that it went from selling 5-6m to selling 1m, shows that its sales are highly reflective of userbase. Its an easy purchase for people who have a Nintendo system. A HD metroid would more likely brought its fanbase to the Wii U, I don't think DK done that and it released without having much of a splash on Wii U's hardware. Especially in the early days of a systems life I say it would have made more sense to release Metroid and then launching DK at the end of the Wii U's life.

Given the series history, taking a year to break 1m is not impressive regardless of the size of Wii U's userbase. Back to the OP its of course a successful endevour though, I doubt the game had a huge budget

It taking a year to cross 1 million is reflective of the Wii U audiences buying habits more than anything else. Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed didn't sell well on it, doesn't that mean people aren't interested in those franchises? Look at the games that don't feature Zelda and Mario and see how poor the software in general sells on the console. Metroid really doesn't have a chance of doing any better. Its a niche franchise on a niche console.

Around the Network
SjOne said:
Samus Aran said:

Also MPT is massively outselling DKCR on the Wii U VC. See my thread.

You're surprised that a collection that was incredibly hard to get is selling more digitally than a game that is common to come by and even has a handheld port?

MPT is outselling it by a ridiculous amount. It's also easily outselling SMG2 despite releasing two weeks later. Who cares about the inferior handheld port? MPT is one its way to become the most downloaded game on the Wii U eshop.

The sales of DKC: TF could've been easily reached by a Metroid for Wii U.

Metroid Prime for the GC sold a lot better than DKC: TF in the same timeframe.

As for the "low" sales of Metroid Fusion, the game was released on the same day as Metroid Prime. It obviously got overshadowed.

Samus Aran said:
SjOne said:

MPT is outselling it by a ridiculous amount. It's also easily outselling SMG2 despite releasing two weeks later. Who cares about the inferior handheld port? MPT is one its way to become the most downloaded game on the Wii U eshop.

The sales of DKC: TF could've been easily reached by a Metroid for Wii U.

Of course MPT is selling well digitally. The original collection had limited print and not everyone wants to pay the outrageous prices on eBay to play it. When the game got released for $10 its no wonder that people would jump on that offer. You can find the other rereleases Wii games on discount at many retail stores, so there wouldn't be as big a demand to get them digitally.

Still doesn't mean that the franchise will sell better than the rest.

Software sales and hardware sales of Wii U are down compared to GameCube in same time period. I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario 3D World can't outsell Super Mario Sunshineor if Super Dmash Bros U can't outsell Supwr Smadh Bros Melee because of this .

SjOne said:

Of course MPT is selling well digitally. The original collection had limited print and not everyone wants to pay the outrageous prices on eBay to play it. When the game got released for $10 its no wonder that people would jump on that offer. You can find the other rereleases Wii games on discount at many retail stores, so there would be as big a demand to get them digitally.

Still doesn't mean that the franchise will sell better than the rest

DKC: R 3D costs €45 in my country. DKC: R was also €10 for one week. Most stores here don't have the Wii games in store anymore.

Metroid did have its best selling game on a niche console, the Gamecube, almost 3 million units. Bu then it is a game that is in the top 30 of most best 100 games ever lists.