By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV: The Phantom Pain on Xbox Systems Doesn't Make Sense

Does it?

No 148 44.58%

Yes 131 39.46%

I'm not sure 29 8.73%

Results 24 7.23%

Total:332

If the cost to port to those consoles was high then it doesn't make sense, but I suspect they can still make money on the extra sales.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

Well I was going to point you towards the HD collection sales but VGC has fucked them up so lets just look at another big PS franchise gone multiplat

1 Final Fantasy XIII PS3 2009 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.69 1.19 1.87 0.51 5.26
2 Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3 2011 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.78 0.72 0.89 0.27 2.66
3 Final Fantasy XIII X360 2010 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.23 0.66 0.01 0.20 2.11
4 Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII PS3 2013 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.27 0.19 0.44 0.12 1.02
5 Final Fantasy XIII-2 X360 2011 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.36 0.29 0.02 0.06 0.72
6 Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII X360 2013 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.12 0.07 0.01 0.02 0.22

You cant tell me something like this sales wise wasnt worth it. I dont expect the same thing from MGS but MGS appeals to the Xbox demographic more than FF does. MGSV on Xbox should preform quite nicely.

It's hard to judge MGS sales on Xbox sytems when everything they've gotten is a late port, a HD collection and a demo.

The fact that series like Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear sell more on PlayStation means that more people will opt for that version

Makes sense to me. It doesn't look like they're spending much on optimisation on the X1 anyway. The gap is bigger than in most games. GZ is a demo though, there's no way around it. Doesn't say much for those who bought it. My knucklehead of a brother included.

Around the Network

It only doesn't make sense if they don't make a profit off the Xbox versions after porting. I'm assuming they do make a profit, thus the reason why the game is multiplat even if it is much more popular on PS platforms. The same goes for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

I'd say Microsoft paid good money for it to be multiplat. After mgs4 staying exclusive I'm pretty sure they opened the cheque book to get this on their system. So they have likely covered the costs and then some. Win win for Konami and Sony won't lose out on much. The vast majority of people who upgrade to next gen for mgs5 will get a ps4.

It'll make sense in the case of the full game. The sales will be higher, and that includes sales on Xbox platforms. Should easily sell more than a million copies, and since the engine already runs on Xbox, it shouldn't be too much of an effort.

Other then a couple franchises most franchises are best off being ps franchises. Xbox lacks variety and mass appeal, halo, gears and that's about it appeal wise. US dude bro console . worldwide sales show this.  

Ground Zeroes didn't really come out at the best time for the XBO and there was quite a visible difference between the PS4 and XBO versions. Hopefully Phantom Pain does better.