By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sega finished with console retail? (GI.biz article)

Well their games don't sell and they don't make a lot of good games. No surprise really.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Augen said:
JayWood2010 said:

Persona - Niche game that they make exclusive instead of multiplat.  Persona 4 and 5 should be on every console.  Persona Q should have been on both 3DS and VIta

Persona 5 will be on PS3 and PS4.  if it were released on 360, Wii U, and X1 how much do you think sales would increase?

At least 1.

While admirable, would not justify the cost of porting. Atlus has made zero mistakes on their handling of the main series. Some of the SMT spinoffs have been everything, so better direction may be needed there. I don't think that's where the problem is though.

JayWood2010 said:
Augen said:

Persona 5 will be on PS3 and PS4.  if it were released on 360, Wii U, and X1 how much do you think sales would increase?

If it was on PC, WiiU, XBO, PSV id say it would increase by 100% if not more.

Honestly, this just seems insane. There will be a handheld version in the future. Atlus while apart of Sega still has a small team, so they would have to really elongate the development or bring in another studio to do the porting. I don't know how that's a good idea.

You realize you're claiming that Persona 5 would clear 2+ million if on platform that don't have JRPG fans.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It makes me sad to see how far Sega has fallen since after the Dreamcast... : (

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

outlawauron said:

Good Japanese games sell decently on Xbox in the west.  Nintendo is more popular than Sony in the east.  Persona 4 and 3 has sold more on Mobile PS than home console.  And PC is the best distributor of digital media

Persona is a niche game that is good.  Could easily expand its userbase.  If there was a deal in place with a platform holder, id excuse it, but this is a choice which makes no sense.  I mean look at Persona Q.  Lets release it on 3DS with a userbase that doesnt have Persona 3 or Persona 4 and leave out the PSV in which was very successful with Persona.  Makes zero sense what so ever

JayWood2010 said:

Sonic - Inconsistent

Alien - Inconsistent

Bayonetta - Smallest Fanbase and a fanbase that barely supports third party.  No previous history with the franchise as Bayonetta 1 was not on a nintendo console

Persona - Niche game that they make exclusive instead of multiplat.  Persona 4 and 5 should be on every console.  Persona Q should have been on both 3DS and VIta

Shenmue - Nowhere to be found

Crazy Taxi - Wont Translate to New Generation as most other ip they own

So with that said. THey make terrible decisions time after time. When they make good games the franchise is either so inconsistent that it scares people off, they make exclusive games with no partnership that cuts into their profit, or they make a game exclusive to a platform that has none of the original fanbase that really makes no sense at all

I loved Alien: Isolation and I love Persona so i want them to succeed. But SEGA in general makes terrible decisions.

At the very least i hope they start releasing all their games on PC

They *passed* on Bayonetta 2. Cancelled it. They washed their hands of it and the only reason their name's on the box for B2 is because they still own the IP.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

Good Japanese games sell decently on Xbox in the west.  Nintendo is more popular than Sony in the east.  Persona 4 and 3 has sold more on Mobile PS than home console.  And PC is the best distributor of digital media

Persona is a niche game that is good.  Could easily expand its userbase.  If there was a deal in place with a platform holder, id excuse it, but this is a choice which makes no sense.  I mean look at Persona Q.  Lets release it on 3DS with a userbase that doesnt have Persona 3 or Persona 4 and leave out the PSV in which was very successful with Persona.  Makes zero sense what so ever

That's all irrelevant because we're talking about Persona. It's aimed at a specific fanbase that games primarily on Sony consoles. Saying more Persona fans are on other consoles is not based in reality. Persona 3 did better than P3P (and really more than doubled it if you combine FES and P3 as you should).

You have to understand that Atlus is allowed to make games because they minimize cost with small teams and relatively short development schedules. Releasing a game on 6 or 7 platforms is so far outside of their scope, it'd require more resources than other studios for a very questionable ROI.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

RolStoppable said:

Hardly surprising, because Sega is in the same boat as THQ. The trend of the AAA market is that the big games get bigger, so anyone who isn't already a stabilized part of it has no future. That leaves a company with two choices: Continue until you go broke (that's what THQ did) or bow out voluntarily.

But who is to blame for Sega's situation? It's obviously the PlayStation/Xbox gamer who turned a blind eye to Alien: Isolation and other Sega games. Some of the blame also goes to Sony and Microsoft who failed to establish an environment where Sega games could thrive.

.......hmmmm

IkePoR said:
kopstudent89 said:
Anyone thinks Nintendo buying Sega would be a good move?

No.  At least, it's not ideal.

Having Sega go bankrupt and Nintendo buying their IP's wholesale and absorbing their dev teams(including ATLUS? not sure) would be.  Single out the best dev teams Sega has and cut the fat; demand quality from them with their games.  That's what I'd like to see.

It's a similar prospect with Capcom.  That company has some of the most prestigious IP's period.  But the suits they're attached to don't know their head from their ass.  Anyone, not limited to but especially Nintendo, to get those IP's would explode with money, at least on paper.  

I am GameGod & I approve this message!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

SEGA has no one to blame but themselves,however its still very sad.

What does this mean for Atlus now? it seems like they're basically screwed

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

outlawauron said:
JayWood2010 said:

That's all irrelevant because we're talking about Persona. It's aimed at a specific fanbase that games primarily on Sony consoles. 

12 Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth 3DS 2014 Role-Playing Nippon Ichi Software 0.17 0.05 0.26 0.02 0.50

If given the opportunity, Persona can sell on other platforms so it certainly isnt irrelevant.  PC is the most important thing here as well.  Japanese devs in general ignore Steam. I honestly believe if we saw the sales on PC that we would all be shocked.  And PC is a big platform and it shouldnt be ignored.  To me this is a japanese problem.  Japanese games more than any other makes more exlusive games and dividing their fanbases while ignoring others instead of expanding. 

To me Persona is in the same state as Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunters.  KH would be big going multiplat but instead you get exclusives on PS, and exclusives on Nintendo, etc  Monster Hunters again, multiplat would be big.  But instead, we release one on Wii, and one on 3ds, and on PSP, and we are going to ignore the Vita which it was monstrously popular on PSP

But if SEGA is serious about going digital in the future, then they need to focus on releasing their content on PC instead of just consoles.