By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sega finished with console retail? (GI.biz article)

I find really interesting the fact that Sega, one of the oldest companies in the videogame industry and console manufacturer for four gens, is sinking more and more, and people is more interested in the niche developer they adquired a copule years ago. It kind of ilustrates the impact of Sega as a company in recent years. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
lol.. like now we pretend we care about Sega console games.. i thank them for publishing Vanquish and Bayonetta but thats it..

*hugs his dreamcast*

i'd care if they made a valkyria chronicals sequel on consoles (as in not handheld).   fucking destroyed the franchise, imo, by moving it to psp.

all in all though i don't care for sega's games.  i care far more about atlus who is an unfortunte casualty of the situation.

kitler53 said:

all in all though i don't care for sega's games.  i care far more about atlus who is an unfortunte casualty of the situation.

Don't worry. This has nothing to do with Atlus.

JayWood2010 said:
Augen said:

Persona 5 will be on PS3 and PS4.  if it were released on 360, Wii U, and X1 how much do you think sales would increase?

If it was on PC, WiiU, XBO, PSV id say it would increase by 100% if not more.

as would the costs no doubt.

kitler53 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Porting is designed to maximize profit, not hurt it.  That is the primary advantage of multiplats

I do imagine the risk being a little higher but not 100%

Around the Network
badgenome said:
kitler53 said:

Don't worry. This has nothing to do with Atlus.

doesn't it though?  what has atlus been doing lately?  i don't remember hearing anything from them wrt to this gen and vaguely remember a news article saying something about a increased focus on mobile.  

i didn't like every atlus game but things like 3D dot heros was great.  that's the part of atlus i want.  the kookie things no one else had the courage to publish.

JayWood2010 said:
Augen said:

Persona 5 will be on PS3 and PS4.  if it were released on 360, Wii U, and X1 how much do you think sales would increase?

If it was on PC, WiiU, XBO, PSV id say it would increase by 100% if not more.

Fair enough, did not think of PC to be honest.

I would guess 50% of sales would come from Japan, and other 50% from NA, EU, ROTW.

In Japan I would estimate breakdown would go 50% to PS3, 40% to PS4, 10% to WiiU and less than 1% to PC, 360 and X1.

Everywhere else estimate would go 60% PS4, 20% PS3, 10% to Wii U and 10% to PC, 360 and X1.

Let us use round numbers and say it sells 1 million in Japan and 1 million everywhere else (that would be a major success too).  So, on my estimates porting it to an additional four platforms accounts for 300K of those sales.

You can state think numbers would be different, but last generation really showed me what an uphill climb it is for JRPGs on Microsoft platforms. Unless you're a Final Fantasy keeping costs down and appealing to your base makes a lot of sense to me.

JayWood2010 said:
kitler53 said:

Not even. Porting is designed to maximize profit, not hurt it.  That is the primary advantage of multiplats

entirely depends on the developers experience with the other platforms and if the orginal programming was done with conciecious thought on writing code that can be ported.

my software platform is tied at the hip to windows.  a "port" to mac would cost my team half a decade in rewrites and encapsulations to allow it to function on mac.  code is tricky that way,.. it's really easy to say from the outside looking in that ports are cheap and easy but that's only true if you write code the right way the first time.  some things that sound easy are hard and some things that sound hard are easy so you can't generalize much.

with respect to the current game in question,... if a port was so easy and therefore had a good financial motive to be multiplat it probably would be.  if it's not going multiplat you can bet there's a good reason for that too.

kitler53 said:

doesn't it though?  what has atlus been doing lately?  i don't remember hearing anything from them wrt to this gen and vaguely remember a news article saying something about a increased focus on mobile.  

i didn't like every atlus game but things like 3D dot heros was great.  that's the part of atlus i want.  the kookie things no one else had the courage to publish.

Atlus USA already kind of dialed it back on publishing Japanese games that aren't their own at some point during the last generation, though they did just publish Tears to Tiara II in the west. Now they mostly focus on their own games and western indies (Abyss Odyssey, Rollers of the Realm, and Citizens of Earth this past year). That has nothing to do with Sega. They're just staying the course they've been on for a while now.

Augen said:
JayWood2010 said:

Fair enough, did not think of PC to be honest.

THats my fault for not clarifying, not yours.

I honestly think Persona 5 will break 1m on one platform for the first time.  I hope it does anyways, just feels like the brand name has grown since Persona 4 released. 

Its just a shame that they dont try and expand it.  Its a franchise that could really grow if given the opportunity.  

And if SEGA is serious about digital format, then its a good idea of getting one of their growing franchises on PC