By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sega finished with console retail? (GI.biz article)

JayWood2010 said:

Ive spoken about this plenty in past threads so i wont give my opinions on it here (So you know they werent negative).  And im certainly not blaming nintendo.  Im blaming SEGA for not supporting it.

Ok, it sounded like if it was Sega that wanted to make the game & keep it exclusive to Wii U.

This clarification brings a better light on what you were saying ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
kitler53 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I wasnt saying it wouldnt cost anything.  Im saying it wouldnt increase by 100%.  It would likely make the risk slightly higher but porting a game is much cheaper than developing them.  According to Ubisoft they ported all their games for less than 1m to wiiu which is a tiny fraction of what those games cost to make

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/07/ubisoft-wii-u-games-cost-less-1-million-port/

but that's ubisoft a massive publisher that (almost) only does multiplats.  ubisoft atlus is not.

and i'm saying porting isn't always easy.   read up on the difficulties ND had with TLoU:remastered.  if the orginal work isn't coded with multiplat in mind sometimes it can be more work to port than it is to just start over from scratch.  i'm being very serious here,.. a port might be 1% of the original budget or 10% or even 200%.  code is a tricky beast and functional code doesn't always mean good code.

kitler53 said:
JayWood2010 said:

but that's ubisoft a massive publisher that (almost) only does multiplats.  ubisoft atlus is not.

and i'm saying porting isn't always easy.   read up on the difficulties ND had with TLoU:remastered.  if the orginal work isn't coded with multiplat in mind sometimes it can be more work to port than it is to just start over from scratch.  i'm being very serious here,.. a port might be 1% of the original budget or 10% or even 200%.  code is a tricky beast and functional code doesn't always mean good code.

Youre probably right that ports can vary.  Though im saying it should have been built for all platforms from the ground up. 

I dont deal with code though so you may know more about this subject than i do

The backhanded Bayonetta 2 exclusivity criticism is so weird right now.....let it go. The game was announced over 2 years ago as a lazarus project from Nintendo. Either you wanted it or you didn't....either way grow up.

JayWood2010 said:
outlawauron said:

12 Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth 3DS 2014 Role-Playing Nippon Ichi Software 0.17 0.05 0.26 0.02 0.50

If given the opportunity, Persona can sell on other platforms so it certainly isnt irrelevant.  PC is the most important thing here as well.  Japanese devs in general ignore Steam. I honestly believe if we saw the sales on PC that we would all be shocked.  And PC is a big platform and it shouldnt be ignored.  To me this is a japanese problem.  Japanese games more than any other makes more exlusive games and dividing their fanbases while ignoring others instead of expanding. 

To me Persona is in the same state as Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunters.  KH would be big going multiplat but instead you get exclusives on PS, and exclusives on Nintendo, etc  Monster Hunters again, multiplat would be big.  But instead, we release one on Wii, and one on 3ds, and on PSP, and we are going to ignore the Vita which it was monstrously popular on PSP

But if SEGA is serious about going digital in the future, then they need to focus on releasing their content on PC instead of just consoles.  

You really think all ~500k of Persona Q's buyers all do not own a PS3 or PS4? If more platforms just splits the overall sales, then nothing is really gained. Persona 5 will do over a million. If it gets put on multiple platforms and does 1.3 million. It's not worth it. Persona isn't in the same league as KH or MH. While PC sales are certainly a wildcard, it's not a guarantee that existance on Steam leads to great sales.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Game_God said:
Skullwaker said:
I wish Nintendo would buy Atlus and the Alien IP. I don't think anything else would be valuable enough, except for Sonic but SEGA would never sell him.

Atlus doesn't deserve to go like this.

... & Bayonetta ;)

That goes without saying.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

God, if they were so much in the shitter, why on earth did they buy Altus? Like, I honestly thought that a more richer Company like Nintendo, Sony or MS would buy them so I was very surprised that Sega did cause even back then, I believe they didn't have that much money to burn and onesh year later, that certainly seems to be the case.

But of course, when you have a company that treats its main mascot like shit, its hardly surprising... Sonic used to go toe for toe against Mario with scores in the high 80s and 90s. Now they will be lucky to even get a 70 while Mario still gets 90s with the highest being 97 that was given to both Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2. Sigh Sega, you company is legit, run by idiots

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
bigtakilla said:

You do know Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2 right?.... 

His point stands. The property of Bayonetta had potential and it was mishandled. The joke is sorely on Sega. Nintendo just picked up a bargain.

Darwinianevolution said:

If Nintendo has Nintendoom, does Sega have Segapocalypse, Segabysm, Segacabó...?

Nintedo "doom and gloom" is a purely a fan construct that intends to divert attention from reality and attribute any short of negative critisism to negative preconception against nintendo. There are no Sega fans as much as individual Sega IP fans.

Is it a good title? Absolutely, and I don't think it being mishandled would be the proper way of putting it. Having Nintendo pay to put it on their system took it from being the forefront of no one's mind (as it sold misserable on every system) to having the gaming community raving over it for 2 years. It coming to a Nintendo system may have very well saved it from obscurity and may in fact be the single reason PS or XBox may pay for the next installment (or at least show interest when Sega offers).

Sharu said:
kopstudent89 said:

...rather than building the gameplay mechanisms by exploiting the power of the consoles...

Can you tell me pls, what new gameplay mechanics arise in PS4/X1 generation by exploiting increased power of those consoles?

Not yet but the same way Uncharted/Last of US was not possible on the PS2, this will change with the PS4/XBone of course.

JayWood2010 said:
kitler53 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I wasnt saying it wouldnt cost anything.  Im saying it wouldnt increase by 100%.  It would likely make the risk slightly higher but porting a game is much cheaper than developing them.  According to Ubisoft they ported all their games for less than 1m to wiiu which is a tiny fraction of what those games cost to make

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/07/ubisoft-wii-u-games-cost-less-1-million-port/

Yes, what I do not really get is why indie developers can do what the big companies can't. An example: Stick It To The Man is a game by small indie developer Zoink. They have less than 20 employees and a revenue under $1,000,000.

Stick It To The Man is a action/plattform/puzzle game with relatively much text "It's spiritual successor to Psychonauts: the quirky world, the bizarro sense of humor, and a main character who manipulates things with his mind." http://www.stickitgame.com/

Even with little money and few employees they have managed to port the game to PS3, PS4, PSVita, X1, Wii U, PC (Steam), Mac. They have localized it to japan (at least the Wii U port).

How come so many big games fail to get ported and/or localized?