By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

Lego city undercover, captain toad,hyrule warrior so far

Around the Network
Nem said:

So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good. Also, you are stacking 2 systems versus 1. Hardly a fair comparison there.

Since system A is out twice as long as system B and system C I can´t see a problem there, perhaps not all games on system B and C had the highest quality, but at least there where games which isn´t something you could say of Wii U first year. Captain Toad was quite succesfull though and is a new IP, if we count bloodborne as new IP. But nintendo´s best games by a long shot for this gen are bayo 2, 3dworld, smash and mk8 hardly new IP´s. On the other hand Sony has released driveclub and no doubt it had a rough launch it has become a lovely racing game and a succesful one. The xbox one sunset overdrive which is about to sell a million so could be considered a small succes. 

So I agree with this thread nintendo has lost it´s inovation or at least being succesvol at it.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Nem said:

So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good. Also, you are stacking 2 systems versus 1. Hardly a fair comparison there.

Since system A is out twice as long as system B and system C I can´t see a problem there, perhaps not all games on system B and C had the highest quality, but at least there where games which isn´t something you could say of Wii U first year. Captain Toad was quite succesfull though and is a new IP, if we count bloodborne as new IP. But nintendo´s best games by a long shot for this gen are bayo 2, 3dworld, smash and mk8 hardly new IP´s. On the other hand Sony has released driveclub and no doubt it had a rough launch it has become a lovely racing game and a succesful one. The xbox one sunset overdrive which is about to sell a million so could be considered a small succes. 

So I agree with this thread nintendo has lost it´s inovation or at least being succesvol at it.

Why is Driveclub a new IP?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
Qwark said:

How is it not?

Fusioncode said:

Watch Dogs was a huge success for Ubisoft. 

I don't understand. You use combined sales of Watch_Dogs across all platforms to claim that it was a success on each of those platforms individually. Yet the Wii U is one of the platforms on which Watch_Dogs was released.

Isn't Watch_Dogs a successful new IP on Wii U? It is a successful new IP and it is on Wii U, it meets both requirements.

Around the Network

I'd argue that Captain Toad and NintendoLand are, but yeah not all too many.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Nogamez said:
TomaTito said:

How is it not?

Taking the first exception from the OP to the extreme, you could say it's a sequel or spin-off.

1) nintendo land, but that game is a collection of minigames based on a range of  MANY popular IPs like mario, zelda, metriod, donkey kong, kirby and others. the only thing new about it is the title. 

Driveclub is just an online MotorStorm based on road racing with a range of popular cars and dynamic weather. The only thing new about it is the title.

PS: Just playing devil's advocate.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Conegamer said:

as well as HW+NES Remix

And soon to be Splatoon+Mario Maker (unless MM counts as 2D Mario?) :0

tbone51 said:
Conegamer said:

as well as HW+NES Remix

And soon to be Splatoon+Mario Maker (unless MM counts as 2D Mario?) :0

Ah, forgot about NES Remix. As for Hyrule Warriors I count that as a Dynasty Warriors game so won't count that, but yeah I suppose you can.

Also Splatoon and Mario Maker aren't out yet so I can't count them!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Megaoverlord12 said:

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

It isn't relevant. If you get only the X1 or PS4 versions for these games, they are still big sellers (the released ones, at least :D).