By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

Crazy to think ZombiU wasn´t profitable, almost 1 million units sold.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

If I'm honest, I'd rather have a bunch of old IPs of exceptional quality than a bunch of overhyped poor quality new IPs that PS4 and XB1 is littered with. By my estimations PS4 and XB1 don't have a single great game that isn't a remaster of a last gen game. Not a single one. That's an embarrassment to the gaming industry after this much time. 2014 was a disgraceful year in gaming for all but Nintendo, and that's not a biased statement, that's objective fact.

WagnerPaiva said:
Crazy to think ZombiU wasn´t profitable, almost 1 million units sold.

it wasnt made by nintendo, so it wasnt cheap... i would say w101 was a good new ip.

Intrinsic said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

Well, then look at games like Driveclub, The order, bloodborne, no mans sky... These are all new IPs all coming withing the first 24 months of the console being on the market and all that will likely get sequels.

Let's call a spade a spade, Nintendo has a very strong history of not making new IPS, only one I have seen them make now is splatoon. that's what, outside Wii sports that's one new IP in 20 years? 

Should I show u a list of new IPS from Sony and Microsoft compared to Nintendo in the past 20yrs, its not pretty. 

Animal Crossing, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Golden Sun, Pikmin, Xenoblade Chronicles, Chibi Robo, Endless Ocean, Excite , Steel Diver, Fossil Fighter, Batallion Wars, Advance Wars, and Sin and Punishment are some of Nintendo's new IP's in since the release of the N64 which had sequels. Of course Microsoft and Sony games will mostly be new IPs because they don't have the old ones to work on (since 1995 - 20 years ago.) I made sure I didn't add any game with main characters from another video game series and games that were only one release/the IP remained in possesion of the developer(I.e Rare games like Banjo Kazooie.)

As far as brand new IP's unrelated to previous Nintendo brands, this topic is a fact. Let's face it. Nintendo fans buy Nintendo games, and unfortunately, new IP's after the N64 era have been included in that group. It's why Nintendo puts the most emphasis on their "Big 10" and why third party studios and publishers care very little to have anything to do with them. It's unfair to blame Nintendo for such problems; it's the fans.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

kind of a sudden and surprising realization for me. the WiiU hasnt spawned one succesful new IP. i base this looking at VGC WiiU's database. if there is a digital game i didnt think about, let me know. 

3- ZombiU, but that game is the definition of a failure, because it wasnt even close to being profitable and has no sequal planned. 

ZombiU VS WatchDogs
from other thread

JazzB1987 said:

So we have
low budet single platform WiiU launch title on console with 0 userbase (launch) That was sold for 70!!! bucks.
= ~1.5-2m expected sales

hyped well marketed AAA game (had live action commercial) on PC, PS3, PS4, XBO, 360, WiiU (5x porting costs) with ~ 200m users.
= 6m expected.

MAKES SENSE TO ME....

spemanig said:
TomaTito said:

Captain Toad is the definition of spin-off since it's basicly derived from Super Mario 3D World. And NES Remix is just short gameplay runs compilation of roms with achievements.

Why are rest also spin-offs?

Lego City is just a "GTA" spin off of the Lego games while Nintendo Land is a spin off colaboration game, much like Smash.

Watch Dogs is a GTA clone,  Destiny is a Halo "spin-off", Titanfall is a COD with robots wanabee, Driveclub is an upgraded Motorstorm and The Evil Within is Resident Evil bastard child.

New IP/name =/= new original game!

Funny how Nintendo always breaking the mold with its series is "rehashing" & others always making the same game but with new name, prettier graphics & modest changes are "making new software".

I find it appaling when people won't go beyond the envelope & fall for cheap marketing tricks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

bananaking21 said:

if there is a digital game i didnt think about, let me know. 

Shovel Knight.

The devs basically starved themselves while developing the game largely as a Nintendo exclusive. It's a huge financial and critical success -- enough to now come to PS.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

bananaking21 said:

in constrast the XB1 and PS4 have a range of succesful new IPs. some small successes and some mage hits. like Watch Dogs, Transistor, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil within. and thats when they are a year younger, next year there are also lots of new IPS that look like they can be successful, like the Division, No mans Sky, bloodborne, The Order, Ori and the blind Forest, Quantum Break, Dying Light, Evolve, Project Cars and others.

Like others have been saying, you're kind of making strange parameters for this thread.  You talk about the Wii U not having any successful new IPs, and put strange restrictions on what is considered a "new IP," yet you put games like Watch_Dogs (which the Wii U did actually get), Transistor, and Destiny on the list for XB1 and PS4, which are multiplats.  Also, given the titles you listed, these naturally favor XB1 and PS4 due to them having much stronger 3rd party support.  

Oh, and not only that, but Project Cars is also going to be on the Wii U.

But this thread is really strange to make in general, because it's not that surprising at all that the Wii U hasn't had a very good time with new IPs.  The system itself hasn't even sold enough units for it to be easy to do.  The biggest chance the Wii U has is for Nintendo to release the new IP, which is unfair to compare to the XB1 and PS4 when you look at it like that.

I think both Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors and Nintendo Land can be considered new IPs - and successful ones at that.

Captain Toad became it's own thing even if it was based on Mario 3D World's bonus stages.
Hyrule Warriors might share game design with the Warriors series, but it's also it's own thing: characters, enemies, items. It just plays like a Warriors game.
Nintendo Land might be a mini game collection based on Nintendo characters, but other than that, those same characters are used in different types of games, with only a few being to already existing games.