By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

TomaTito said:

Apart from NintendoLand, I'd say Lego City Undercover is one from retail, sales are similar than ZombiU but those are still full price. Meanwhile I think that ZombiU has had its sales mainly in the bargain bin department. Then you have the recently released Captain Toad, that has surprised quite a few.

From the eShop Shovel Knight was said to be a success, and NES Remix spawned a retail release.

There could be more.

Nintendo Land, Lego City Undercover, NES Remix, and Captain Toad are spin off games. I wouldn't consider them new IPs at all.

I agree with Shovel Knight though, as I said in my post.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

in constrast the XB1 and PS4 have a range of succesful new IPs. some small successes and some mage hits. like Watch Dogs, Transistor, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil within. and thats when they are a year younger, next year there are also lots of new IPS that look like they can be successful, like the Division, No mans Sky, bloodborne, The Order, Ori and the blind Forest, Quantum Break, Dying Light, Evolve, Project Cars and others.

If you are talking about a specific console spawning a successful new IP, then i dont think its right to include multiplatform titles, like well... all the titles you have listed except Driveclub.

So, to sum up - XB1 and WiiU have had none, and PS4 has had 1 in your view.

Doesnt seem like a drastic difference.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Didn't the wonderful. 101 break even, anyways new ip hardly successful but I broke even which cant be said for every game on your list

old skool

spemanig said:
TomaTito said:

Apart from NintendoLand, I'd say Lego City Undercover is one from retail, sales are similar than ZombiU but those are still full price. Meanwhile I think that ZombiU has had its sales mainly in the bargain bin department. Then you have the recently released Captain Toad, that has surprised quite a few.

From the eShop Shovel Knight was said to be a success, and NES Remix spawned a retail release.

There could be more.

Nintendo Land, Lego City Undercover, NES Remix, and Captain Toad are spin off games. I wouldn't consider them new IPs at all.

I agree with Shovel Knight though, as I said in my post.

Captain Toad is the definition of spin-off since it's basicly derived from Super Mario 3D World. And NES Remix is just short gameplay runs compilation of roms with achievements.

Why are rest also spin-offs?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

Captain Toad is the definition of spin-off since it's basicly derived from Super Mario 3D World. And NES Remix is just short gameplay runs compilation of roms with achievements.

Why are rest also spin-offs?

Lego City is just a "GTA" spin off of the Lego games while Nintendo Land is a spin off colaboration game, much like Smash.

Around the Network

Well I'll take extremely great, fun and polished games in established IPs such as Bayonetta 2, MK8, DKC Tropical Freeze, SM 3D World and Smash U over meh, unfinished and bug-riddled games in new ones.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

I agree with you 100%

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

Just to say I read it... but decided to not reply!

Switch!!!

Megaoverlord12 said:

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

Well, then look at games like Driveclub, The order, bloodborne, no mans sky... These are all new IPs all coming withing the first 24 months of the console being on the market and all that will likely get sequels.

Let's call a spade a spade, Nintendo has a very strong history of not making new IPS, only one I have seen them make now is splatoon. that's what, outside Wii sports that's one new IP in 20 years? 

Should I show u a list of new IPS from Sony and Microsoft compared to Nintendo in the past 20yrs, its not pretty. 

Meh thread. A lot of multiplat in the OP but not enought explanation of how the cherry picking was made, some IPs are even on Wii U like WD. Also not true statement, because if we go by the rules you picked, it seems we can use Shovel Knight and Child of Light.

But in my heart Wonderful 101 is the most successful new IP of this gen so far. Awesome game!