By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

Nem said:

So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good. Also, you are stacking 2 systems versus 1. Hardly a fair comparison there.

Of course he is. How else would he do it? LMFAO

Would a small pizza business be considered successful if it made 500 people happy over 5 years but drained the owners bank account and left him homeless?

MDMAlliance said:
bananaking21 said:

in constrast the XB1 and PS4 have a range of succesful new IPs. some small successes and some mage hits. like Watch Dogs, Transistor, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil within. and thats when they are a year younger, next year there are also lots of new IPS that look like they can be successful, like the Division, No mans Sky, bloodborne, The Order, Ori and the blind Forest, Quantum Break, Dying Light, Evolve, Project Cars and others.

Like others have been saying, you're kind of making strange parameters for this thread.  You talk about the Wii U not having any successful new IPs, and put strange restrictions on what is considered a "new IP," yet you put games like Watch_Dogs (which the Wii U did actually get), Transistor, and Destiny on the list for XB1 and PS4, which are multiplats.  Also, given the titles you listed, these naturally favor XB1 and PS4 due to them having much stronger 3rd party support.  

Oh, and not only that, but Project Cars is also going to be on the Wii U.

But this thread is really strange to make in general, because it's not that surprising at all that the Wii U hasn't had a very good time with new IPs.  The system itself hasn't even sold enough units for it to be easy to do.  The biggest chance the Wii U has is for Nintendo to release the new IP, which is unfair to compare to the XB1 and PS4 when you look at it like that.

A game doesn't have to be exclusive in order to be a new IP. In fact a game being multiplatform gives it a much better chance at being successful. 

Also there's no strange restrictions about it.

-Hyrule Warriors isn't a new IP just like he said.

-NintendoLand is just a minigame collection. Regardless of that though, it's bundled with most Wii U's and I dont' think anyone would consider it successful by any  means.

There are a few new IPs on Wii U like Lego City Undercover or Wonderful 101, but that hasn't even hit 1million. Same goes for Captain Toad, only 430k sold so far and unlikely to sell any significant numbers. Keep in mind that Nintendo IP are held to a higher sales standard considering the lack of 3rd party support. I myself wouldn't consider 1 Million sales a success, not this gen. 

Around the Network
spemanig said:
TomaTito said:

Apart from NintendoLand, I'd say Lego City Undercover is one from retail, sales are similar than ZombiU but those are still full price. Meanwhile I think that ZombiU has had its sales mainly in the bargain bin department. Then you have the recently released Captain Toad, that has surprised quite a few.

From the eShop Shovel Knight was said to be a success, and NES Remix spawned a retail release.

There could be more.

Nintendo Land, Lego City Undercover, NES Remix, and Captain Toad are spin off games. I wouldn't consider them new IPs at all.

I agree with Shovel Knight though, as I said in my post.

OP counted Dying Light a spin off from Dead Island.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
toot1231 said:
spemanig said:

Nintendo Land, Lego City Undercover, NES Remix, and Captain Toad are spin off games. I wouldn't consider them new IPs at all.

I agree with Shovel Knight though, as I said in my post.

OP counted Dying Light a spin off from Dead Island.

Dying light is not a spinoff. Spiritual successor, maybe.

Megaoverlord12 said:

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

According to VGC zombie U is at 800k now. Considering the game looked niche to begin with (its not exactly an all out action game ala deadrising/left 4 dead/dead island) I'm surprise Ubi didn't have better perspective. It sold well, but for them I guess its go big or go home. They could instead be puttig that money in multi million spawning AC DLC -_-

I'd argue zombie U was successful in its own right but otherwise why is there even debate on here?

Nothing on Wii U has had major success outside of Nintendo's established brands. Theres no way to spin that.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:

So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good. Also, you are stacking 2 systems versus 1. Hardly a fair comparison there.

Yep, sales = success.

Doesn't really matter if it's the best game of all time if no one actually buys it.

#supportJizz

It matters to those that play it. Word of mouth will spread and greatly influence the legs and the sales of the next installment.

With that said, all it takes is some footage of a souped up version of the game that wont ship and some commercials and all the bro's gobble it up. Its sad.

Ummm... OK? That's not something most people didn't already know.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

iTechHeads said:
Nem said:

Of course he is. How else would he do it? LMFAO

Would a small pizza business be considered successful if it made 500 people happy over 5 years but drained the owners bank account and left him homeless?

Hmm... you should LMFAO, because he didnt give us any kind of metric to measure that, nor does he have the info for it.

Therefore... ??? Great post?

Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yep, sales = success.

Doesn't really matter if it's the best game of all time if no one actually buys it.

#supportJizz

It matters to those that play it. Word of mouth will spread and greatly influence the legs and the sales of the next installment.

With that said, all it takes is some footage of a souped up version of the game that wont ship and some commercials and all the bro's gobble it up. Its sad.

What if there isn't a next installment because of its low sales though?

#supportJizz

Err... who cares? You will only be interested in it if you like the first one anyways. 

Shovel Knight might count I suppose?