By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

OP Shovel Knight and your thread is done.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

Well, then look at games like Driveclub, The order, bloodborne, no mans sky... These are all new IPs all coming withing the first 24 months of the console being on the market and all that will likely get sequels.

Let's call a spade a spade, Nintendo has a very strong history of not making new IPS, only one I have seen them make now is splatoon. that's what, outside Wii sports that's one new IP in 20 years? 

Should I show u a list of new IPS from Sony and Microsoft compared to Nintendo in the past 20yrs, its not pretty. 

Yes, please do. I'm looking forward to seeing this list.

Technically by your standards few games on PC are ever successful. If a company uses Valve's platform, they take the standard 30% of each sale that Sony and MS also does take too.

Just kinda trying throw some thought in to the pool here.

Wonderful 101
Splatoon
Devils Third
Sing Party
Hyrule Warriors
ZombiU

The only new IP's for wii u that come to mind
Yup none is successfull.

If we are going to discuss this, I need to what is considered a "new IP" and "success". I see people moving the goal posts too often when they talk about things like this.

Around the Network
fireburn95 said:

Hyrule Warriors

Is on track to outsell the Japanese publisher's hopes. By the criteria of success presented in this thread, that certainly qualifies. 

bananaking21 said:
Nem said:
So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good.

this thread isnt about quality. its about financial success. thats why its placed in the sales sub forum. 

Problem here is you have no idea if most of these are successful or not. We know roughly how many have sold, we we don't know how much each cost to make or how much each needs to sell for it it be profitable, let alone enough to be successful

Watchdogs should also be on the Wii U list. Since we don't know enough data or a breakdown of if the game is a success on each console or at the point of the turn to black, it has to be taken by total numbers and Wii U is included in that. 

Sequels don't always mean that the first offering was a success.

Speaking of success... when did monetary value become the single attributing factor to success? I think that can only really be answered by the developers in this particular instance, possibly publishers if they are telling the developer what to make.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

WolfpackN64 said:

Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil Within are all mostly letdowns. Off all 5, Destiny and Titanfall have most potential to become something bigger and better. Even though Watch Dogs, Driveclub and The Evil Within sold well, they are not really good games, so sale nmbers be damned, they're not succesful new IP's (except for the 2 I mentioned). That and Watch Dogs is also on the Wii U, but it doesn't sell wel, which is in my eyes a good sign of the Wii U userbase.

Can you explain why is this a good sign?

Surprising realization? Really? With the way the Wii U is selling I wouldn't call this "surprising". Exciting? Yes, Surprising? Hardly.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Faust said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil Within are all mostly letdowns. Off all 5, Destiny and Titanfall have most potential to become something bigger and better. Even though Watch Dogs, Driveclub and The Evil Within sold well, they are not really good games, so sale nmbers be damned, they're not succesful new IP's (except for the 2 I mentioned). That and Watch Dogs is also on the Wii U, but it doesn't sell wel, which is in my eyes a good sign of the Wii U userbase.

Can you explain why is this a good sign?

I consider myself a core gamer, I have no time for mediocraty or laziness on part of the developer. It shows the Wii U userbase doesn't want Ubisoft's turds,. Bring something good to the table like AC IV, then we'll talk. Sometimes, a game not selling wel is a good sign.