By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

I think NES Remix, Shovel Knight, the Wonderful 101 and Captain Toad all achieved success on the Wii U (I personally love them).

There are opportunities for a few more hits this year as well. I'd be quite surprised if Splatoon isn't a hit (very excited myself), and while I have little faith in them there's the boxing robots and that security camera games coming out.

I think the main difference is that Nintendo has a bunch pre-existing franchises that customers are begging for and it has very limited 3rd party support... Many (if not most) of the games that have been listed from the PS4/Xbox 1 were 3rd party and/or multi-plats. It's asking a lot of Nintendo to both satisfy their fans by providing new games for their popular franchises already (Mario bros/Donkey Kong/Star Fox/Kirby/SSB/Mario Kart/Yoshi/Pikmin/Mario Party/Zelda etc with people still clamoring for things like Metroid and F Zero, not to mention the handheld games they need to make) and then, after all that, creating a host of new IPs.

Still, they've created a couple and are working on a couple more... I can't ask much more of the Wii U without third party support.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

According to VGC zombie U is at 800k now. Considering the game looked niche to begin with (its not exactly an all out action game ala deadrising/left 4 dead/dead island) I'm surprise Ubi didn't have better perspective. It sold well, but for them I guess its go big or go home. They could instead be puttig that money in multi million spawning AC DLC -_-

I mean what chances did it have? It's an M rated third party game on a Nintendo system. That's niche enough as it is, let alone a more reserved type of zombie game.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

I was excited for Zombie U until I saw the reviews. Much like Watch_Dogs I'd hoped it would be good but I'm not about to buy it when reviews are lukewarm just to show 3rd party games can sell on the Wii U.

torok said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

It isn't relevant. If you get only the X1 or PS4 versions for these games, they are still big sellers (the released ones, at least :D).

That's true. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure I can safely say that they would likely have sold at least as well if they were last gen only games, and the last gen ports from Watch Dogs, Titanfall, The Evil Within, and Destiny prove that they didn't necessarily need next gen for them to work.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Megaoverlord12 said:

That's true. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure I can safely say that they would likely have sold at least as well if they were last gen only games, and the last gen ports from Watch Dogs, Titanfall, The Evil Within, and Destiny prove that they didn't necessarily need next gen for them to work.

Most last gen games in 2013 flopped pretty hard. New IPs would probably have a hard, hard time. And all of these cross gen titles ended up selling way more on PS4, even with a smaller base. This shows that the active base it's on next gen and things will only increase. And if the early adopter moved to next gen, launching a new franchise on last gen would probably only gather a following of late adopters. So when PS360 winds down, these games would end up not having a decent footprint on next gen until the late adopters jumped (end of gen).

Despite that, PS3 and 360 won't result in good sales after 2015. PS4 and X1 will give 3rd parties good numbers until 2019/20. The transition between gens is the right time to estabilish a new franchise. And you have to think in the future, and that's PS4 and X1.

We can think that these franchises could have been succesfull on last gen only. But a lot of people already moved to next gen and aren't buying a lot of games for the old consoles or simply don't own a last gen console anymore. So let's think in the following scenario: let's suppose that CoD Ghosts and MW were PS360 only. People on PS4/X1 would probably prefer their new machines with better graphics to play or simply they sold their old console or it broke and they won't bother with replacing it. Maybe they decide to buy the alternative, that could be BF4/Hardline. That could lead to a situation where BF became the biggest shooter franchise on next gen and as the sales on PS360 fall, the sales on PS4/X1 would rise. In the end, the last gen franchise would end up damaged. These is clear in our real world scenario: both CoD and BF immediatily set their feet on PS4/X1 at launch. Other franchises did the same, like NFS.

Around the Network

Wait until you see 2015.

WolfpackN64 said:
Faust said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil Within are all mostly letdowns. Off all 5, Destiny and Titanfall have most potential to become something bigger and better. Even though Watch Dogs, Driveclub and The Evil Within sold well, they are not really good games, so sale nmbers be damned, they're not succesful new IP's (except for the 2 I mentioned). That and Watch Dogs is also on the Wii U, but it doesn't sell wel, which is in my eyes a good sign of the Wii U userbase.

Can you explain why is this a good sign?

I consider myself a core gamer, I have no time for mediocraty or laziness on part of the developer. It shows the Wii U userbase doesn't want Ubisoft's turds,. Bring something good to the table like AC IV, then we'll talk. Sometimes, a game not selling wel is a good sign.

SO, what about games like sonic boom? 3 times of watchdogs did, is that game that awesome? ;)

Does Captain Toad count?

for those that mentioned Watch dogs and shovel night, i addressed those in the edit in the OP. i dont mind being wrong, though i feel i still have a point.

bunchanumbers said:
Does Captain Toad count?

I think captain toad and Hyrule warriors would both count as spin offs.