By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

Probably true, but ZombiU is really someting odd.

The game probably surpassed 1 million copies sold (digital+retail), since it was in promotion during several weeks this year.

And it sure wasn´t an expensive game to produce. Wasn´t it really profitable, even if it was a small profit?

On the other side.... 3ds has introduce tons of new successfull IPs. But that´s another story

Around the Network

I'm still perplexed on how ZombiU wasn't close to being profitable. The game was good, but it felt extremely rushed, the production values are low and the content is extremely light. With that said, it saddens me that there won't be a sequel.

mii-gamer said:
I'm still perplexed on how ZombiU wasn't close to being profitable. The game was good, but it felt extremely rushed, the production values are low and the content is extremely light. With that said, it saddens me that there won't be a sequel.

I definitely want a sequel. But Ubisoft has really changed from even a few years ago. Even if a sequel did happen I don't think they would make a decent game or not turn it into a cash grab.

mii-gamer said:

Ubisoft changed the game completely during development. When they began it was "Killer Freaks from Outer Space". They probably wasted tons of money with these changes and IMHO that's the reason why it wasn't profitable.

It depends of the installbase. Animal Crossing was really a succesful new IP with 3 million units, and the original Pikmin was barely more than 1.5 million units, and it got a sequel. If Nintendo buys the ZombieU IP, they could make a reasonable success with a sequel, and Splatoon has enough hype around it to reach Pikmin levels. Not to mention new IPs dressed as old ones (Pokken, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad...).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Nem said:
So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good.

this thread isnt about quality. its about financial success. thats why its placed in the sales sub forum.

So if it's about financial success, why isn't there much math in your original post? Revenue - cost?

What exactly are you trying to prove here? That new successful IPs means one console is more successful than the other? Wii U may now have many new IPs, but it has its own set of excellent games. And the way I see it, it doesn't matter how many new IPs a system has, but how many good games it has. Wii U hasn't spawned any new successful IPs because they haven't really made any. Nintendo Land was not so successful, but it was a tech demo for the system which I think should have been bundled with it, and Zombi U, hmmm, not sure what to say about that one. Hyrule Warriors is a stretch. It's just a collab effort between 2 established IPs. Not quite new. And some of the games that you list are multiplat games. I don't think that is quite fair. Watch Dogs is also on Wii U, but it flopped. Does that mean it doesn't count, since WD as a whole was successful?

Sure, Ninten hasn't spawned any themselves, but it's kind of them on their own at this point. PS4 and Xbox 1 have the luxury of 3rd parties to help them. And at least Ninten is making its first this gen with Splatoon. And Mario Maker could sort of be considered something new. So that's a start.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

bananaking21 said:

in constrast the XB1 and PS4 have a range of succesful new IPs. some small successes and some mage hits. like Watch Dogs, Transistor, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil within. 

Unfortunately, the majority of those new IPs were pretty awful.

tbone51 said:

Splatoon will feed your needs. That said why not count Nintendoland and HW? Might as well not count SSB/MK/Paper Mario/etc for their respective console releases :0

Edit: NES Remx is one

I disagree with that. Nintendo hasn't gone anything to make me confident that Splatoon with be a financial success the way a lot of Nintendo fans think it will be. No one knows that that game exists.

bananaking21 said:

in constrast the XB1 and PS4 have a range of succesful new IPs. some small successes and some mage hits. like Watch Dogs, Transistor, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil within. and thats when they are a year younger, next year there are also lots of new IPS that look like they can be successful, like the Division, No mans Sky, bloodborne, The Order, Ori and the blind Forest, Quantum Break, Dying Light, Evolve, Project Cars and others.

If you're counting Transistor, it's only fair to count Shovel Knight.