By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

kind of a sudden and surprising realization for me. the WiiU hasnt spawned one succesful new IP. i base this looking at VGC WiiU's database. if there is a digital game i didnt think about, let me know. 

there are only three games that can come to mind:

1- nintendo land, but that game is a collection of minigames based on a range of  MANY popular IPs like mario, zelda, metriod, donkey kong, kirby and others. the only thing new about it is the title. 

2- then you got hyrule warriors. which is a mash up of two existing IPS, The Legend of Zelda and Dynasty Warriors. even the name is a mash up. 

3- ZombiU, but that game is the definition of a failure, because it wasnt even close to being profitable and has no sequal planned. 

you can argue that techinically the first 2 games might be new IPs, but they are just based on current existing ones.

in constrast the XB1 and PS4 have a range of succesful new IPs. some small successes and some mage hits. like Watch Dogs, Transistor, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil within. and thats when they are a year younger, next year there are also lots of new IPS that look like they can be successful, like the Division, No mans Sky, bloodborne, The Order, Ori and the blind Forest, Quantum Break, Dying Light, Evolve, Project Cars and others.

Edit: it seems due to my stupidity, i forgot that Watch Dogs released later on WiiU. and while it didnt spawn on the console (or contribute to its success in any way) you can say i am wrong. 

there also seems to be shovel night, but i did say in my OP, right in the first sentence, that i am not aware of digital games. either way i stand corrected.

however, the thread paints the same picture, if the only successful new IP is a digital game and a miltuplatform game that saw zero success on the wiiu, you can see how bad the situation is. 

Around the Network

So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good. Also, you are stacking 2 systems versus 1. Hardly a fair comparison there.

Nem said:
So, you are defining sucess with how much it sold regardless of product quality?

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good.

this thread isnt about quality. its about financial success. thats why its placed in the sales sub forum. 

That not quite fair considering that Destiny, The Evil Within, Watch Dogs, Evolve, Project Cars, and Dying Light are all multiplat. Even less fair when considering that Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall and The Evil Within are all on last gen systems. Final nail in the coffin is that Watch Dogs and Project Cars are both on Wii U (not successful on it, sure, but still.). As for ZombiU, they're insane to expect it to do better than it did.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Apart from NintendoLand, I'd say Lego City Undercover is one from retail, sales are similar than ZombiU but those are still full price. Meanwhile I think that ZombiU has had its sales mainly in the bargain bin department. Then you have the recently released Captain Toad, that has surprised quite a few.

From the eShop Shovel Knight was said to be a success, and NES Remix spawned a retail release.

There could be more.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Splatoon will feed your needs. That said why not count Nintendoland and HW? Might as well not count SSB/MK/Paper Mario/etc for their respective console releases :0

Edit: NES Remx is one

bananaking21 said:
Nem said:

I rank quality over number of overhyped new IP's that turn out to not be so good.

this thread isnt about quality. its about financial success. thats why its placed in the sales sub forum. 

Do you know if they achieved financial sucess? Where are your sources? I actually remember beeing reported that watch dogs didnt break even and required a sequal for that. Destiny is also a fat chance and both lost popularity and financial prospects with poor receptions.

Zombi U and hyrule we have an idea, but the other we dont.

in constrast the XB1 and PS4 have a range of succesful new IPs. some small successes and some mage hits. like Watch Dogs, Transistor, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil within. and thats when they are a year younger, next year there are also lots of new IPS that look like they can be successful, like the Division, No mans Sky, bloodborne, The Order, Ori and the blind Forest, Quantum Break, Dying Light, Evolve, Project Cars and others.

Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil Within are all mostly letdowns. Off all 5, Destiny and Titanfall have most potential to become something bigger and better. Even though Watch Dogs, Driveclub and The Evil Within sold well, they are not really good games, so sale nmbers be damned, they're not succesful new IP's (except for the 2 I mentioned). That and Watch Dogs is also on the Wii U, but it doesn't sell wel, which is in my eyes a good sign of the Wii U userbase.

Nem said:
bananaking21 said:

Do you know if they achieved financial sucess? Where are your sources? I actually remember beeing reported that watch dogs didnt break even and required a sequal for that.

Watch Dogs was a huge success for Ubisoft. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
Nem said:

Do you know if they achieved financial sucess? Where are your sources? I actually remember beeing reported that watch dogs didnt break even and required a sequal for that.

Watch Dogs was a huge success for Ubisoft. 

It says sales. It doesnt say anything about profits of the game development itself, only that it helped. I would hope it did with that many sales though.