By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon going to have Microtransactions?

Talal said:
generic-user-1 said:

the price for some content is just a joke in hearthstone. lol is the big game that made a good use of micropayment, its all just optical.

Well, you do have to pay if you want to get champions other than the weekly free selection in LoL or play an insane amount of games to get IP and buy them. It's similar in Hearthstone you can get gold from playing a lot and completing quests, but it would take ages for you to have all the competitive cards without paying. I agree that LoL does it better though.

2 games is the insane amount for some champs. and those arent just meh champs, they are realy good ones.

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
Talal said:
generic-user-1 said:

the price for some content is just a joke in hearthstone. lol is the big game that made a good use of micropayment, its all just optical.

Well, you do have to pay if you want to get champions other than the weekly free selection in LoL or play an insane amount of games to get IP and buy them. It's similar in Hearthstone you can get gold from playing a lot and completing quests, but it would take ages for you to have all the competitive cards without paying. I agree that LoL does it better though.

2 games is the insane amount for some champs. and those arent just meh champs, they are realy good ones.

I meant insane amount to buy all of them, but it's true you can compete at the highest level by only owning a few. It's better than HS in that regard.

RolStoppable said:

Were the complaints about the HW DLC really about price? The last DLC pack (Twilight Princess) raised the level cap to 150 and the included adventure map pretty much required characters that are 80+, plus the damage output of enemies was significantly increased while the ranking conditions for damage taken remained unchanged. So for one, there's basically a hole between the DLC packs that requires a lot of grinding in content you've already played, so a lot of hours needed to be invested to properly play the latest DLC. And two, there was a lot of frustration because you basically can't afford to get hit anymore for an A rank.

It would be really strange to complain about the price because each map should amount to at least 20 hours of additional playtime (assuming someone has already grinded in anticipation and therefore can clear the missions fast and A-rank most of them on the first attempt).

I don't know, honestly, because I didn't really read in depth. I just noticed a lot of carping as I was scrolling through the comments at Gematsu or somewhere, and it struck me as a pretty stark contrast to how universally well received Mario Kart 8's DLC seemed to be. But for a Koei game it all looked pretty tame, not like their usual geyser of stuff. Clearly Nintendo put them on a tight leash.

Talal said:
generic-user-1 said:
Talal said:
generic-user-1 said:

I meant insane amount to buy all of them, but it's true you can compete at the highest level by only owning a few. It's better than HS in that regard.

its about choice, not about pay to win. you dont need em all, you dont even need close to all. test champs while they are free and unlock em if you liked em.

Samus Aran said:
Ninsect said:

If Nintendo do it it will be OK to do

Useless post that adds nothing to the discussion.

Splatoon won't have microtransactions, the direct specified ingame money. Fear mongering thread based on nothing. How you thought this thread was a good idea is beyond me.

Just telling it like it is. I didn't say Splatoon would have it. I am not the TC either...

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network

Sincerely hope not, that would be pretty disappointing.

badgenome said:
RolStoppable said:

That's a Square-Enix game though. While Nintendo published it in the West, I don't think they asked for microtransactions to be implemented.

They didn't, though they did have Reggie pimping those microtransactions awfully hard on a Nintendo Direct.

That could just as much be part of Nintendo's longer-standing drive to show people who aren't core gamers that you can buy this game and have a leg up if you need it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I really hope not, but even if it does have microtransactions I will just ignore them!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

badgenome said:
DanneSandin said:

Yeah, they're prone to fuck up their HW, not so much with their SW. I agree that that specific DLC doesn't sound ll that good, but as I understand it Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kario 8 have done it VERY well.

If your last statement were true, shouldn't they have had paid online on Wii U? Hopefully, that'll NEVER change!

I've heard nothing but praise for MK8's DLC, but the reception to Hyrule Warriors' seems more mixed... but maybe the complainers are people who were too dumb to just buy the season pass, so I dunno. It did look like less of a money grab than your typical Warriors DLC to me. But it's always a ratchet effect with this kind of thing. Nintendo only fairly recently breached the paid DLC issue. A lot of Nintendo fans had previously been very vocal that paid DLC amounted to ripping out chunks of the game to sell it separately, so I think they're still treading rather carefully. Probably more importantly than that, Nintendo's own self image required them to put their best foot forward. However, once you cross that psychological barrier by doing something for the first time, it's always easier to do it again and you're invariably less thoughtful about how you do it. They did just recently take out the extra content from Fantasy Life Link for the western release in order to sell it separately, so while they're still far from Forza 5 territory I think the trend is definitely toward them maximizing revenue to whatever extent they think they can get away with it.

Same thing with paid online. After reading Dan Adelman's interview about how slow moving and clueless a lot of Nintendo's higher ups are I'm sure there are factions who would like to do it, but between those who are just extremely resistant to any sort of change and those who know that the Nintendo Network simply isn't competitive, it hasn't happened yet. But with every other company on the planet trying to figure out how to turn its product into a service and rope consumers into paying a subscription fee it only seems a matter of time before Nintendo shrugs and follows along, although with Nintendo being Nintendo that could be a very long time indeed. I think if they do ever do it, they'll pull a Sony and introduce it in such a way that it's tied to something like PS+ games to make it more palatable (again, as much to themselves as to customers).

I can only agree with what you said; sooner or later Nintendo will probably become just as bad as everyone else when it comes to DLC and paid online. Unless theyve already set up some kind of rule/policy to prevent this

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

generic-user-1 said:
DanneSandin said:
cycycychris said:
DanneSandin said:
If Nintendo uses microtransactions, they'll do it right - just like they have with DLC. Nintendo just gets how games are made.

I really don't think there is such a thing as good Microtransactions.

Not even in free to play? I think Blizzard have done it well in Hearthstone.

Yeah LoL handles that stuff quite nicely as well

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.