By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon going to have Microtransactions?

spemanig said:
You're literally seeing something that isn't there. It's just in game currency. There's nothing that even remotely implied micro transactions.

This! Splatoon looks like a fun shooter, and I'd doubt Nintendo will ruin it for microtransactions.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Around the Network

Have you seen Gamexplain's analysis for Splatoon?

They said you earn the money to spend in the shop by playing multiplayer games. I doubt they would have microtransactions. Especially after their fantastic handling of DLC so far this gen.

The_Sony_Girl1 said:

This! Splatoon looks like a fun shooter, and I'd doubt Nintendo will ruin it for microtransactions.

Don't get me wrong. I think Splatoon should have microtransactions. I just don't think it will. I think Splatoon should adopt a Free-to-Play model similar to Team Fortress 2, and allow players to buy the single player separately for $20-$30 and I think they should use spotpass to make sure every Wii U owner has it downloaded. 

But I know they won't, because they've made no moves suggesting they will, so there's no point pretending that they will.

cycycychris said:
MDMAlliance said:
Have you seen Gamexplain's analysis for Splatoon?

This thread was made before the video was posted. And I was also kind of the person who posted it in the NintenDomination thread.

Also, people saying it's in game money, yes I know, I was refering to it being that and you being able to buy more

To people saying that it's earn with online play, I said in the OP that they did say that, but do you really think they would announce something like that during a direct while the game is so hyped up. This is something they sneak into a game.

And to who saying this is jumping to conclusion and stuff like that. I was just suggesting the idea that this game seems like the type that they could do something like this. I even stated that it's a possibilty, but I don't think it will happen.

Even then, nothing really showed that there would be microtransactions.  Thinking there might be may be a little alarmist.

Around the Network

Nope. That's impossible. Nintendo would never do something like that.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Well, at least it should have some sort of Amiibo Compatibility in it.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

cycycychris said:

So they revealed that you can use money to uprgrade your gear in the most recent direct. Which they also reveal a microtransaction laced game with pokemon candy crush simulator. And with Steel Drive: Sub Wars also being completely microtransaction laced. I think with this money system, Nintendo might try to jump into the microtransaction business. They only mention earning them in the multiplayer mode, but do you really think they would reveal something like that this early on. Seems like the perfect way to do. While very ungamer friendly, they are in the bussiness to make money. While I do think it's possible they will add these, I do feel it's still very unlikely.

I will add that I think if it was made by any other company(especially Ubisoft and EA) than Nintendo, this game would have microtransactions the way it's set up.

A little misleading, they didn't say anything about microtransactions in Splatoon. A monatery system in a game does not make for microtransaction confirmation. From what they have reveled, it just seems like its going to be a system in which you use to 'points' you accrued durring gameplay to upgrade your character.

TBH, I thought about this for a little while and, microtransactions would work well in this game. I personally hate microtransactions, but it is a model that works for a long lasting series to keep a constant influx of cash. I thought that if they were to have microtransactions that I would shy away from the game. Then I realized that its going to be a great game reguardless and that most likely, Nintendo won't gimp their fans if they choose not to take part in this model. 

All and all, if it does end up with microtransactions, then so be it. I'm not going to miss out on this game because of something as silly as that.

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

No, no and no. The only game that I know from Nintendo that has this dirty practice is that candy crush Pokemon game coming to Nintendo 3DS, microtransactions are bad! I can accept them in free to play games but that's it.

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:
If Nintendo uses microtransactions, they'll do it right - just like they have with DLC. Nintendo just gets how games are made.

That might be true after a few tries, although I doubt that microtransactions can be any good.

All I'm saying is that Nintendo has done DLC right - by and large. I don't care much for microtransaction either, but if done right - why not? As long as that doesn't imply an edge to those who don't use it.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.