By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon going to have Microtransactions?

I really dont think Splatton will have microtransactions. The trailer never specified 'in game currency' nor 'real money currency'.

That being said Nintendo have been adventurous with DLC and the ilk lately, but mainly on 3DS. So Splatoon COULD have something, but I hope not.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Steam only hosts an community and a store. It doesn't have the infrastructure of PSN or XBL, because multiplayer and many other services are not hosted by Valve. Their servers are only for server connectivity for DRM and friends + downloading games. This isn't a slight against Steam, because people use other applications to do things like group voice chat or gameplay recording (although steam recently started this).

Can't really compare an application to a service that intregrated into the purpose of the device. From the non-gaming applications to free games/monthly to services like PS Now/Music or Movies Unlimited. It's no longer a pay for multiplayer discussion. There's far more that you're contributing to.

Of course it's a pay for multiplayer discussion. You're being charged to play online multiplayer that should be free, because you already pay for online independantly. There's no reason it shouldn't be. It's like Apple forcing you to buy itunes radio for permission to use skype on your mac, but including discounts and free movies sometimes to make the deal better. It doesn't matter if that's a good deal or if itunes is worth what they're asking. They are artificially stopping you from using a service you want to use to sell you something you may not want.

Even still, Playstation has PS Plus discounts and free games. Nintendo is making (and already has used) a system that does that discounts games and gives free games without a subscription. They had Digital Deluxe. They had game deals like with Mario Kart 8, SMT and FE, and W101. They had Club Nintendo. Puttung all of those together into one cohesive rewards program as good as PS Plus, without the need for a subscription. Nintendo isn't shooting for it's own multimedia features, so music or movies unlimited doesn't apply to them. They have 3rd party apps for that. There's no good reason for Nintendo to have a subscription at all. They can match rewards functions without one.

outlawauron said:
DanneSandin said:

I can only agree with what you said; sooner or later Nintendo will probably become just as bad as everyone else when it comes to DLC and paid online. Unless theyve already set up some kind of rule/policy to prevent this

Think of it like this though. The day Nintendo charges for online will be the day they start making their service competitive with Sony and MS. Once they make an investment in it, I think you'll be happy to reap the benefits.

I dont care for XBL or PSN - at all. I just wanna play online, if Im in that mood. I rarely play online as is, but if I had to PAY for it, I would NEVER do it.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.