By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon going to have Microtransactions?

cycycychris said:
DanneSandin said:
If Nintendo uses microtransactions, they'll do it right - just like they have with DLC. Nintendo just gets how games are made.

I really don't think there is such a thing as good Microtransactions.

Not even in free to play? I think Blizzard have done it well in Hearthstone.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
DanneSandin said:
If Nintendo uses microtransactions, they'll do it right - just like they have with DLC. Nintendo just gets how games are made.

I dunno, they're as prone to fuck ups as anyone else. Especially since they were bopping around in their own little bubble while the rest of the industry came to grips with bewildering things like HD graphics and paid DLC and account systems some 10 years ago. The Mario Golf DLC menu looked like something I would expect from an EA game, right down to the day one paid DLC. They even made the rookie mistake of making it virtually impossible to find online games for your paid courses unless you're lucky enough to get matched up with another player who also bought the DLC.

Plus, Nintendo is like any other company in the end. Once they realize that people are suckers enough to pay for something they shouldn't, they're not going to just leave all that money on the table.

Yeah, they're prone to fuck up their HW, not so much with their SW. I agree that that specific DLC doesn't sound ll that good, but as I understand it Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kario 8 have done it VERY well.

If your last statement were true, shouldn't they have had paid online on Wii U? Hopefully, that'll NEVER change!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

yes, I base this on absolutely nothing

Nope, wont ever happen.
The "Money" you can use to buy upgrades is earned by playing the game, and only by playing the game.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

DanneSandin said:

Yeah, they're prone to fuck up their HW, not so much with their SW. I agree that that specific DLC doesn't sound ll that good, but as I understand it Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kario 8 have done it VERY well.

If your last statement were true, shouldn't they have had paid online on Wii U? Hopefully, that'll NEVER change!

I've heard nothing but praise for MK8's DLC, but the reception to Hyrule Warriors' seems more mixed... but maybe the complainers are people who were too dumb to just buy the season pass, so I dunno. It did look like less of a money grab than your typical Warriors DLC to me. But it's always a ratchet effect with this kind of thing. Nintendo only fairly recently breached the paid DLC issue. A lot of Nintendo fans had previously been very vocal that paid DLC amounted to ripping out chunks of the game to sell it separately, so I think they're still treading rather carefully. Probably more importantly than that, Nintendo's own self image required them to put their best foot forward. However, once you cross that psychological barrier by doing something for the first time, it's always easier to do it again and you're invariably less thoughtful about how you do it. They did just recently take out the extra content from Fantasy Life Link for the western release in order to sell it separately, so while they're still far from Forza 5 territory I think the trend is definitely toward them maximizing revenue to whatever extent they think they can get away with it.

Same thing with paid online. After reading Dan Adelman's interview about how slow moving and clueless a lot of Nintendo's higher ups are I'm sure there are factions who would like to do it, but between those who are just extremely resistant to any sort of change and those who know that the Nintendo Network simply isn't competitive, it hasn't happened yet. But with every other company on the planet trying to figure out how to turn its product into a service and rope consumers into paying a subscription fee it only seems a matter of time before Nintendo shrugs and follows along, although with Nintendo being Nintendo that could be a very long time indeed. I think if they do ever do it, they'll pull a Sony and introduce it in such a way that it's tied to something like PS+ games to make it more palatable (again, as much to themselves as to customers).

Around the Network

Eww.

MoHasanie said:
Nope. That's impossible. Nintendo would never do something like that.

Just like they'd never do DLC right? They already did with Pokemon Shuffle which is basically Candy Crush. I don't expect them to do it in Splatoon, but saying that they'd never do it and that it's impossible is wrong.

DanneSandin said:
cycycychris said:
DanneSandin said:

I really don't think there is such a thing as good Microtransactions.

Not even in free to play? I think Blizzard have done it well in Hearthstone.

the price for some content is just a joke in hearthstone. lol is the big game that made a good use of micropayment, its all just optical.

generic-user-1 said:

the price for some content is just a joke in hearthstone. lol is the big game that made a good use of micropayment, its all just optical.

Well, you do have to pay if you want to get champions other than the weekly free selection in LoL or play an insane amount of games to get IP and buy them. It's similar in Hearthstone you can get gold from playing a lot and completing quests, but it would take ages for you to have all the competitive cards without paying. I agree that LoL does it better though.

I think it will be in-game currency only for Splatoon, but in the future, who knows what Nintendo will do. Microtransactions aren't necessarily bad, as long as they don't make the game pay-to-win