By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon going to have Microtransactions?

They clearly stated "In-game currency". Thread is redundant.

Around the Network

They clearly stated "In-game currency"...

RolStoppable said:

I just remembered that they added the preorder costumes from America as separate paid DLC. Three packs at $0.99 each. It was really lame that people who bought the season pass didn't get them automatically, nevermind that having to pay for costumes is shady to begin with.

Ah. Well, that's par for the course for the Warriors series, sadly. They sell an astronomical amount of costume, BGM, weapon, etc., packs. The only good thing I can say is that, as I understand it, each new game has supported the previous games' DLC.

WolfpackN64 said:
They clearly stated "In-game currency"...

While this is true, they never said that you wouldn't be able to purchase that currency. Either way, game looks great and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

DanneSandin said:

I can only agree with what you said; sooner or later Nintendo will probably become just as bad as everyone else when it comes to DLC and paid online. Unless theyve already set up some kind of rule/policy to prevent this

Think of it like this though. The day Nintendo charges for online will be the day they start making their service competitive with Sony and MS. Once they make an investment in it, I think you'll be happy to reap the benefits.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
David_Hernandeez said:
No, no and no. The only game that I know from Nintendo that has this dirty practice is that candy crush Pokemon game coming to Nintendo 3DS, microtransactions are bad! I can accept them in free to play games but that's it.

agreed. in free to play they are fine but something i am required to pay retail for is just the devil

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
outlawauron said:

Think of it like this though. The day Nintendo charges for online will be the day they start making their service competitive with Sony and MS. Once they make an investment in it, I think you'll be happy to reap the benefits.

There's nothing about their service that requires a paid subscription. Steam is free and still offers a better online service. Nintendo don't need to, and frankly won't, resort to a subscription service.

spemanig said:
outlawauron said:

There's nothing about their service that requires a paid subscription. Steam is free and still offers a better online service. Nintendo don't need to, and frankly won't, resort to a subscription service.

Steam doesn't host and house what XBL and PSN do. The only simiarility at all is the distribution of games. Nintendo will either start a sub service or it will continue to be what it is.

outlawauron said:

Steam doesn't host and house what XBL and PSN do. The only simiarility at all is the distribution of games. Nintendo will either start a sub service or it will continue to be what it is.

Please enlighten me on the online elements Steam doesn't have that requires a subscription.

spemanig said:
outlawauron said:

Please enlighten me on the online elements Steam doesn't have that requires a subscription.

Steam only hosts an community and a store. It doesn't have the infrastructure of PSN or XBL, because multiplayer and many other services are not hosted by Valve. Their servers are only for server connectivity for DRM and friends + downloading games. This isn't a slight against Steam, because people use other applications to do things like group voice chat or gameplay recording (although steam recently started this).

Can't really compare an application to a service that intregrated into the purpose of the device. From the non-gaming applications to free games/monthly to services like PS Now/Music or Movies Unlimited. It's no longer a pay for multiplayer discussion. There's far more that you're contributing to.