By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Arroyo Valley High coach suspended for winning

Adinnieken said:

Not to mention, it prevented the mercy rule from being implemented. Which is as humiliating as losing to huge scoring run-up.

More so. There's some dignity in being blown out. There's none in being protected from an even bigger blow out because you've already been blown out badly enough.

Around the Network

Chung sounds like a little bitch honestly. If your team is getting wrecked that hard, it's not the other team, it's your team.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

It showcases several administrative failures, really

1) These teams shouldn't have been playing each other in the first place, clearly. Though it was a non-league game or something? So yeah, i don't see the point in sticking to the rules if that were the case. Schools need to be placed based on their ability to field a good team, but this varies based on which part of which state you live in.

2) All sports need a mercy rule. Something big enough to be rarely implemented, but certainly present to prevent things like this from happening, because yeah, getting your ass handed to you is not fun, and the people who call it a "learning experience" have obviously never had it happen to them. Getting destroyed doesn't teach you anything, it just makes the game un-fun, and makes the experience cruel after a certain point. It's not war, it's a damn sport, and if something's happening to make it un-sporting, there's no reason to keep playing.

A suspension would be a bit much, though. I mean, you can't make the guy apologize or anything for doing what he was supposed to do, though his admission that he didn't want it to go down like that certainly helps.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

He did nothing wrong. Imo, you play to win and if you can bury the other team, you do. If the other team doesn't like the outcome, play better.

Period.

badgenome said:
Adinnieken said:

Not to mention, it prevented the mercy rule from being implemented. Which is as humiliating as losing to huge scoring run-up.

More so. There's some dignity in being blown out. There's none in being protected from an even bigger blow out because you've already been blown out badly enough.

I disagree. There's no fun in being blown out, period. You might as well just end the thing early in that regard. The kids are there to have fun, not to "play with dignity" or anything like that.

Of course, i've always taken a very dim view on the idea that athletics have any virtue other than being a fun, healthy diversion. Concepts of "character building" and school spirit were lost on me in high school, and that remains the case today.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

1) These teams shouldn't have been playing each other in the first place, clearly. Though it was a non-league game or something? So yeah, i don't see the point in sticking to the rules if that were the case. Schools need to be placed based on their ability to field a good team, but this varies based on which part of which state you live in.

2) All sports need a mercy rule. Something big enough to be rarely implemented, but certainly present to prevent things like this from happening, because yeah, getting your ass handed to you is not fun, and the people who call it a "learning experience" have obviously never had it happen to them. Getting destroyed doesn't teach you anything, it just makes the game un-fun, and makes the experience cruel after a certain point. It's not war, it's a damn sport, and if something's happening to make it un-sporting, there's no reason to keep playing.

A suspension would be a bit much, though. I mean, you can't make the guy apologize or anything for doing what he was supposed to do, though his admission that he didn't want it to go down like that certainly helps.

Played many sports? I have and I have been on both ends, whether it be getting blown out regularly or enjoying winning streaks.

To the ones who find it un-fan and don't want to play anymore, good. Let them quit. That only opens the door to the other ones who wanted to play but couldn't get onto the team due to limited roster space.

Playing sports on a high school level isn't a right. It's a priviledge. 

You might disagree but as a long time sports player this has always been my view and I always took that view with me when I went out there to play.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I think holding back is way more disrespectful. .

Mr Khan said:

I disagree. There's no fun in being blown out, period. You might as well just end the thing early in that regard. The kids are there to have fun, not to "play with dignity" or anything like that.

Of course, i've always taken a very dim view on the idea that athletics have any virtue other than being a fun, healthy diversion. Concepts of "character building" and school spirit were lost on me in high school, and that remains the case today.

Not necessarily. Different people are there for different reasons. A lot of aspects of organized sports aren't fun, and there's fun to be had from simply playing whether or not you're getting drilled. It's all a matter of attitude. In high school I always had fun even when we had no chance at winning because all I really cared about was smearing the guy with the ball. As far as I was concerned, the shittier our offense was, the more I got to play.

I think a mercy rule has its place. Particularly in sports where there is no clock, or in something like boxing where someone who is getting his ass handed to him on points is outclassed enough that he may get seriously hurt. But all it does otherwise is spare people the boredom of watching or officiating a one-sided contest. It does nothing to spare anyone any humiliation.

Mr Khan said:
badgenome said:
Adinnieken said:

This gives me the impression you did not in fact play sports, which would explain your views.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Mr Khan said:

Played many sports? I have and I have been on both ends, whether it be getting blown out regularly or enjoying winning streaks.

To the ones who find it un-fan and don't want to play anymore, good. Let them quit. That only opens the door to the other ones who wanted to play but couldn't get onto the team due to limited roster space.

Playing sports on a high school level isn't a right. It's a priviledge. 

You might disagree but as a long time sports player this has always been my view and I always took that view with me when I went out there to play.

What's the motivation to play if you aren't having, on some level, fun? Winning can be "fun" whether or not you're having a good time of it, you feel a sense of achievement or what have you. Losing really badly bestows the team with nothing, unless the bad loss was due to some obvious flaw that could be corrected, a teaching moment. That doesn't seem to be the case here and in other cases where the mercy rule should apply.

I've never played sports in an official capacity, but it can hardly be any different from any other engagement. A hard-fought game, even lost, is still thrilling enough to have been worth the price of entry. A humiliating defeat is just that, a humiliation, and of no good to anyone except to poor winners on the winning side.