By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Arroyo Valley High coach suspended for winning

Augen said:
Depending on the age there was generally a mercy rule to end games at an early stage if it was bad enough. Not sure why two teams of such vastly different quality were playing each other. Usually have divisions as this kind of game is pointless for both sides.

Yeah, that is kind of strange. Especially if you look at their records, Bloomington wins pretty much 0 of their games, while Arroyo won most of theirs.  Then again, the details on how this came to be seems to be hard to find.

Around the Network

What dodo they expect Anderson's team to do? Should they purposely play bad and purposely miss shots?

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

thats ridiculous. they should suspend the entire team that lost 160-2 and fine the school for having such a crap team on top of it

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

This is idiotic. It's not like they played dirty, they're just much better. It honestly sounds like the losing team was out of their depth and/or their coach just plain sucks. Given the coach's response, probably both.

For some reason everyone thinks we should take feelings into account. Sports is a good example. In this case they believe the coach was wrong for playing the way he did and teaching his players to play the way they had.

I've grown up playing sports my entire life and one thing I have learned is that if you want to win, you need a good group of guys who understand that no matter what the circumstances are you NEVER take your foot off the gas pedal. You play for 60 minutes? Well then you better damn well give it your all for that entire 60 minutes.

That's how you become champions and that is how you play the game. You don't see the opponent losing bad and then begin letting up. I've seen plenty of teams that get to a certain point and then start playing NOT to lose. Those types of teams usually do not win it all.

I understand these are kids, but even so they know full well that in sports you can get completely blown out. If they can't handle that then they need to do something else. That team learned a valuable lesson that game.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12179176

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

I'm surprised they don't have a mercy rule. That would have at least allowed them to bow out gracefully.

Running up a score isn't considered sporting, and as coach he could have pulled his starters in the first half when he realized they had complete control of the court, In addition, he could have told his players to back off and just have fun rather taking the game seriously.

When I was in high school, there was a team in our conference that was really bad. Games with them during that season were like a cat playing with a mouse before devouring it. Our coach had the team back off their play, simply to keep the other players in the game and keep competing. He didn't want to humiliate the opposing team, and he didn't want the other team quitting before the game was over.

So he acted pissed off when blockable shots weren't blocked, or positions were blown, but it was for the sport of it. For some people, that may seem wrong, but the opposing team fought to stay in the game. Players that may not normally get a chance to shoot were given looks and shots. Likewise, bench players on our team got play time, giving them many of the same opportunities as the starters and second string players.

Not to mention, it prevented the mercy rule from being implemented. Which is as humiliating as losing to huge scoring run-up.

PenguinZ said:
What dodo they expect Anderson's team to do? Should they purposely play bad and purposely miss shots?

Hehe... you said "dodo".

PenguinZ said:

Yes. Playing the right way involves standing around and allowing the losing team to take some free layups and 3-pointers.

That coach says to show sportsmanship. Purposely letting up and allowing the other team back into the game is more like showing pity.

Currently playing:

RolStoppable said:

Euphoria14 said:

(...)

I understand these are kids, but even so they know full well that in sports you can get completely blown out. If they can't handle that then they need to do something else. That team learned a valuable lesson that game.

They learned nothing new because they get blown out all the time. They lost several of their most recent games by 60+ points.

Oh man, this happens on the regular? How does that coach even have a job? lol

If the coach thinks anyone needs to teach their players to play the right way then it is they who need to do just that.

Currently playing: