By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Arroyo Valley High coach suspended for winning

BraLoD said:
MDMAlliance said:
BraLoD said:
The other team score 2 points! They are also winners!

Lol, seriously, if you don't wanna be crushed, train more.

What if Germany was taken off the cup after beating Brazil that hard? It's a game, it's a possibility, and all players should know this. Ridiculous, I hope the man get back to his position soon.

Sadly, those two points they scored were free throws.  Bloomington had 1 point at the end of the first half, and the only way to make 1 point shots in basketball are from free throws.

Even better, they scored 2 times instead of only 1 xD

The problem is that it's actually worse, because free throws means no one is allowed to get in your way of shooting. It's much harder to shoot and make a goal if someone is pressuring you to shoot or blocking your path.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
The other team score 2 points! They are also winners!

Lol, seriously, if you don't wanna be crushed, train more.

What if Germany was taken off the cup after beating Brazil that hard? It's a game, it's a possibility, and all players should know this. Ridiculous, I hope the man get back to his position soon.

Or don't join a sport team. It's not mandatory. Crazy idea, I know.

BraLoD said:

I admire your optimism.

MDMAlliance said:
JoeAncelotti said:
This I've never heard before. A coach getting suspended for winning by too much? What!?

The argument was that it was unsportsman-like to win by that much. 

Personally, the more I think about it, the more I feel like this problem may be accentuated by sexism (that it's girls basketball, and therefore it's less serious and more about 'just having fun').   I could be wrong, though.

I've read a lot of the comments on several different articles, and I see a lot of them also make it seem like this was a middle or elementary school.  I don't think high schoolers are as sensitive.  Then again, it's not like this is a topic I know much about, which is why I wanted to see different opinions by making a thread about it.

The other coach should have trained his team better. This was a competitive game, so he and his team have every right to score as many times as they want to. But yeah, sexism might be a point there. I hope not though, because women are just as competitive as men.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

Article doesn't explain things very well. Did the coach do something to break "league" rules? The only reason a coach can be suspended is if he did something wrong. The winning and losing of a game is irrelevant. And it's s stupid sensationalist headline.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Article doesn't explain things very well. Did the coach do something to break "league" rules? The only reason a coach can be suspended is if he did something wrong. The winning and losing of a game is irrelevant. And it's s stupid sensationalist headline.

He was literally suspended for "bad sportsmanship." It wasn't a league game, though.

BraLoD said:
badgenome said:
BraLoD said:

I admire your optimism.

Someone has to try to make this girls to not look so bad xD

But they are. If they were serious about really getting better, I don't think that they would be losing pretty much every single game they get into.

Overall 0-15 League 0-2 National Rank 13769State (CA) Rank 1271

MDMAlliance said:
binary solo said:

He was literally suspended for "bad sportsmanship." It wasn't a league game, though.

It's a school competition league game surely. Bad sportsmanship can cover a multitude of sins, and it can be part of the rules of a competition, particularly in an educational and amateur setting part of sports is meant to be teaching good sportsmanship. And the article seems very vague on the precise reason. I don't think the article in the OP provides enough facts to be able to judge whether the suspension was reasonable or not. And I'm not going to be bothered searching out more facts as the matter really doesn't concern me enough to warrant the extra effort.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
MDMAlliance said:
binary solo said:

It's a school competition league game surely. Bad sportsmanship can cover a multitude of sins, and it can be part of the rules of a competition, particularly in an educational and amateur setting part of sports is meant to be teaching good sportsmanship. And the article seems very vague on the precise reason. I don't think the article in the OP provides enough facts to be able to judge whether the suspension was reasonable or not. And I'm not going to be bothered searching out more facts as the matter really doesn't concern me enough to warrant the extra effort.

There aren't really any articles that give much more than what I posted gave.  The most other articles give are a few more quotes and maybe some semi-related material, but all of them pretty much give the same story.  The coach was suspended because his team won by too large of a margin, possibly some seeing it as the coach trying to humiliate the other team or being disrespectful.  But the details surrounding the case are not 100% clear with any of the articles.  

I completely agree with the suspension. This is recreational sports not pro. Based on the scores these kids should not be in the same leagues. There is plenty of ways to run the clock once you are up by 60.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling