By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One back at $349 from tomorrow!

Insidb said:
fireburn95 said:
Adinnieken said:
fireburn95 said:
Adinnieken said:
fireburn95 said:
Lol smart business move, increase the price to $399 for 8 days, fuck up those couple hundred thosand who bought it during then by decreasing the price days later

Every retailer in the US offers price matching within at least 14 days of purchase.

Anyone who doesn't receive the difference back didn't try to get it back.

It's also unethical, increasing a price just so days later you can decrease it and call it a price offer, when 350 is the base price pretty much now

How is it unethical?  I don't think you know the definition of ethics or what constitutes ethical.

Its roughly the same as selling something full price the day before it goes onsale at a lower price.  There isn't anything unethical about it.  It's business. 

If a guy comes into my store at 9:00 AM and I have a large inventory of blueberry muffins and charge him full price, yet offer the person who comes in at noon a discounted price because the amount of sales in the morning weren't what I anticipated, there isn't anything unethical about it.  Not even if the following day I realize that at the lower price I'm assured that I sell more muffins and that same early morning customer comes back and buys another muffin at the lower price. 

Business is about supply and demand.  Simply.  Basic.  Economics. 

Increasing a price and very quickly reducing the price as an 'offer' is unethical. It is a banned practice here in the UK. We have OFCOM for stuff like that.

In the US, we have price gouging laws, which are triggered by sharp variations in price, to capitalize on demand. This situation, however, is a bit outside the norm.

It's one thing about increasing the price after an offer, but $350 was on for far too long to be considered an offer. It was base price throughout november and december, because there was an even bigger discount during BF.

So for increasing the price to $399, and very soon (within days) discounting the price, which constitutes as an offer, is unethical and would be disallowed to be advertised as a price offer (at least in the UK where the laws are strict)

Around the Network
Seece said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:

well then :P
guess I am gladly wrong

(they are gonna lose lots of money though with this)

Who actually cares? They make 5 billion dollars per quarter.

Any company cares when they lose money. Eventually they will get rid of money pit departments and products.

MoHasanie said:
Conegamer said:
MoHasanie said:
Conegamer said:
Makes a lot of sense, if it sold better and they were making profit why not? Hopefully it'll mean more people can enjoy the system, and that's good for everyone.

Also things are escalating very quickly here. Cut it out with the personal attacks and sly digs else fear the wrath of my banhammer, because there's no need for it.

How do we know they were making a profit? 

I don't see why they'd drop the price otherwise.

Because they don't want to lose the only territory Xbox can do well in. 

This seems to be the case: it's hard to believe that their intial profit margins were high enough to still be making a profit on the console at this price.

fireburn95 said:
Insidb said:
fireburn95 said:
Adinnieken said:
fireburn95 said:
Adinnieken said:
fireburn95 said:
Lol smart business move, increase the price to $399 for 8 days, fuck up those couple hundred thosand who bought it during then by decreasing the price days later

Every retailer in the US offers price matching within at least 14 days of purchase.

Anyone who doesn't receive the difference back didn't try to get it back.

It's also unethical, increasing a price just so days later you can decrease it and call it a price offer, when 350 is the base price pretty much now

How is it unethical?  I don't think you know the definition of ethics or what constitutes ethical.

Its roughly the same as selling something full price the day before it goes onsale at a lower price.  There isn't anything unethical about it.  It's business. 

If a guy comes into my store at 9:00 AM and I have a large inventory of blueberry muffins and charge him full price, yet offer the person who comes in at noon a discounted price because the amount of sales in the morning weren't what I anticipated, there isn't anything unethical about it.  Not even if the following day I realize that at the lower price I'm assured that I sell more muffins and that same early morning customer comes back and buys another muffin at the lower price. 

Business is about supply and demand.  Simply.  Basic.  Economics. 

Increasing a price and very quickly reducing the price as an 'offer' is unethical. It is a banned practice here in the UK. We have OFCOM for stuff like that.

In the US, we have price gouging laws, which are triggered by sharp variations in price, to capitalize on demand. This situation, however, is a bit outside the norm.

It's one thing about increasing the price after an offer, but $350 was on for far too long to be considered an offer. It was base price throughout november and december, because there was an even bigger discount during BF.

So for increasing the price to $399, and very soon (within days) discounting the price, which constitutes as an offer, is unethical and would be disallowed to be advertised as a price offer (at least in the UK where the laws are strict)

I wholeheartedly agree, but don't expect that to happen in the US.

jlmurph2 said:

Because they already mentioned it?

In the 2nd disclaimer, yes, but not the first *, which takes precidence over the **.

They would likely track it but not disclose it in public info for a company to know which of their bundles moved best. To see how effective that bundle was.

I will have to go back and look but I am sure that after the September NPD we got further info from leakers about total Destiny sales when the bundle was included, which brought it above the XBox One version, which showed higher on the public report. If they track what each SKU sold then of course by default that includes the software sales along with it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Go America.  We win!!!

Euphoria14 said:
jlmurph2 said:

Because they already mentioned it?

In the 2nd disclaimer, yes, but not the first *, which takes precidence over the **.

They would likely track it but not disclose it in public info for a company to know which of their bundles moved best. To see how effective that bundle was.

I will have to go back and look but I am sure that after the September NPD we got further info from leakers about total Destiny sales when the bundle was included, which brought it above the XBox One version, which showed higher on the public report. If they track what each SKU sold then of course by default that includes the software sales along with it.

So your post does have something to do with the argument then?

I am sensing a slim release in the summer and a 299$ price come holiday 2015 :).

fireburn95 said:

That's because in the UK you can't get a lousy price match.  Once again, in the US if I purchase something, and within 14 days it goes on sale, the vast majority of retailers, and all major retailers, will offer to price match the sale item.  The exception to this rule is often with severe discounting, such as going out of business sales, clearence sales, or Black Friday discounts. 

Heck, often in these cases, the work around is to return the item, then rebuy it with a discount or buy it with the discount then return it using the receipt for the full-price purchase. 

Bottom line is the US consumer isn't getting screwed.  They just have to talk to the retailer.  If they were getting screwed, then sure, it would be unethical, but they aren't. 

Can you even return an unopened, unused product for a full cash refund in the UK?

You people bitch that everything is so goddamn expensive there and how cheap everything here is in the US and you don't even realize half your problem is the oversight and regulation you have in place.  You moan about how American's sue all the time, yet you put government agencies in place for oversight that drives up your costs both in taxes and consumer goods. 

You don't understand how consumerism works in the US.  I get that.  But don't complain about consumerism in the US if you don't understand how it works. 

I'm a US consumer, I've worked retail sales for decades, besides other roles, I know US consumerism.  No one in the US is going, "This is unethical!" excpet maybe a Sony fanboy or two.  It's a slight inconvenience for US consumers to have to resolve if they want their $50 difference back, but it's no different than buying something from Best Buy or WalMart at full price and a week later walking back in and getting it for the discounted sale price. 

And if there is someone, somewhere in the US that is rightfully upset about Microsoft selling it at $350, then increasing the price to $400 when they bought it, then dropping it back down to $350, the vast majority of us in the US would say "Oh well!".  It isn't as if we don't have options to recoup that $50.

riderz13371 said:
jlmurph2 said:
riderz13371 said:
jlmurph2 said:

This is pretty obvious. Stores have return policies that fall right in this category of getting money back. And I don't think 1 week would make them obselete.

Not in Canada =(. Lots of stores have shitty return policies here or they will know that you're going to try and return it to buy it back to 50$ less so some won't let you. It varies depending on where you live.

For Walmart the video game hardware policy is 15 days. Gamestop's is 30. Didn't bother to look any further but you can trade them in for the lower costing console.

No Gamestops in Canada.

There's at least one in Barrie.  Not sure if its still open.