By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo will never be "third party friendly"

And that's why they'll never be considered king among gamers ever again.

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network

One could also argue your opinion plays into Nintendo's strategy of weaker hardware as well. The weaker the hardware the easier it is to develop for, giving a higher chance you produce a quality product in a timely fashion. It took probably around 4-5 years for most developers to start getting the best looking/functioning games last generation from the ps360. It took Nintendo and other developers about 1 to get the most out of the wii. Now I will say I think that they swung to low on power with the wii, but I do agree, to a certain degree, on their philosophy. A lot of early games in a generation end up being "practice runs" for the system and, although they end up selling pretty well, don't stand the test of time. Years later their sequels look and play insanely better.

zippy said:
SanAndreasX said:
Personally, I wish Microsoft and Sony would stop kissing the asses of third party prima donnas like EA and Ubisoft as much as they do.

This, i believe that 3rd parties are gaing too much of a foothold in the industry and Sony/ Microsoft are becoming their bitches. Look at EA, they threw a hissy fit with Nintendo over their refusal to let them control their online infrastructure. If Nintendo can get by without them, good for them.

EA has a long history of pitching bitch-fits. They tried to bully Nintendo back in the 8-bit era and failed miserably. Then they successfully bullied their way onto the Sega Genesis extracting special treatment from Sega. I remember reading about that in Game Informer some time back.

Apparently, Sega had a "kill switch" that, if they'd used it at CES, would have caused EA's unlicensed Genesis games to fail publicly. This was by EA's own admission, not Sega's. It's a pity they caved in to EA and didn't use whatever kill-switch they had. They could have chased EA away for good with that kind of embarrassment. :)

CarcharodonKraz said:
One could also argue your opinion plays into Nintendo's strategy of weaker hardware as well. The weaker the hardware the easier it is to develop for, giving a higher chance you produce a quality product in a timely fashion. It took probably around 4-5 years for most developers to start getting the best looking/functioning games last generation from the ps360. It took Nintendo and other developers about 1 to get the most out of the wii. Now I will say I think that they swung to low on power with the wii, but I do agree, to a certain degree, on their philosophy. A lot of early games in a generation end up being "practice runs" for the system and, although they end up selling pretty well, don't stand the test of time. Years later their sequels look and play insanely better.

Stop making excuses for nintendo. They ignored third party and when they realized with the wii that Sony and Ms were making hand over first on third party they wanted  to be he cool console too. Nintendo expects third party to dumb down their games when they aren't market leader and even in the event of last gen, the wii was only slightly more powerful than the gamecube. This exactly why epic gamea head didn't even  want nintendo to use unreal 4. The wii u is nothing for them to learn and build upon with slightly above last gen tech. All they would  learn about the console was limitation when themselves, ubisoft and otherw requested 8gb of ram from as far back as 2011. All third party is doing is porting their games....not creating it for he hardware nine times out of ten. As you can see assassin's creed unity, Witcher and batman won't be on last gen tech.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

Stop making excuses for nintendo. They ignored third party and when they realized with the wii that Sony and Ms were making hand over first on third party they wanted  to be he cool console too. Nintendo expects third party to dumb down their games when they aren't market leader and even in the event of last gen, the wii was only slightly more powerful than the gamecube. This exactly why epic gamea head didn't even  want nintendo to use unreal 4. The wii u is nothing for them to learn and build upon with slightly above last gen tech. All they would  learn about the console was limitation when themselves, ubisoft and otherw requested 8gb of ram from as far back as 2011. All third party is doing is porting their games....not creating it for he hardware nine times out of ten. As you can see assassin's creed unity, Witcher and batman won't be on last gen tech.

and that my friends, is the ugly truth!

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
Materia-Blade said:

Wich "many" companies showed support for wii u at launch? this "3rd part don't sell on nintendo" is just a myth.

Ubisoft (Just DAnce, Assassin´s Creed, Rabbits), Eletronic Arts (With Fifa, Madden), Activision (with Cod, Skylanders, Wipeout), Namco (with Tekken), Sega (Sonic All Stars Racing), Square (Dragon Quest), Warner (Batman, Scribblenauts) Tecmo(Warriors Orochi)......

of course all of them adopted a "wait and see" approach with those games, but they all showed interest. With the low sales, they just abandoned the platform

As for sales..... we all know that 3rd party games sell better on other platforms, but that doesn´t mean they actually sell bad on WiiU - they just don´t sell what companies want. Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Stars Racing sold BETTER on WiiU than on any other platform, for example, but far from what Ubisoft or Sega wanted.  ZombiU and Dragon Quest sold quite well.

that's not "many". and EA didn't support it at all, they sent the games to die and have an excuse.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

"slightly above last gen tech". Dude, that's not true and you know it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Nintendo faithful are not helping Nintendos situation by making excuses for their ignorance. Everyone knows Nintendo has the best first party, but their consoles have been missing third party for the past twenty years. They had been a pain in the ass of third party even when they were exclusively on their consoles in the 80's and the 90's. Nintendo can make their games well on any hardware because Nintendo tailor makes games for that hardware. The whole point is trying to make a console that is third party friendly for porting. The point is to open their minds not close it. Nintendo learned their lesson with the Wii U....but it was too late because the hardware power was sub par.

Third party are not asking for anything but portability from Nintendo. 

3rd party are asking for bribery, because the portability is already there.

It's just that Nintendos current audience is only interested in a very limited range of games on the Wii U.

Even when they tried to prove a point with Bayonetta 2 (when's that getting adjusted btw.?) the whole thing backfired and the game only sold like 90k in the first 2 months in the US. Most Wii U owners own the thing for the classic Nintendo titles and not much else, people should finally admit that.

Materia-Blade said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Nintendo faithful are not helping Nintendos situation by making excuses for their ignorance. Everyone knows Nintendo has the best first party, but their consoles have been missing third party for the past twenty years. They had been a pain in the ass of third party even when they were exclusively on their consoles in the 80's and the 90's. Nintendo can make their games well on any hardware because Nintendo tailor makes games for that hardware. The whole point is trying to make a console that is third party friendly for porting. The point is to open their minds not close it. Nintendo learned their lesson with the Wii U....but it was too late because the hardware power was sub par.

Third party are not asking for anything but portability from Nintendo. 

3rd party are asking for bribery, because the portability is already 

What bribery? 3rd party laid out how much ram was demanded of consoles for the new gen. Nintendo did not comply.